What human cost is acceptable in controling illegal immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Undocumented Immigrant is the correct term because:
  • Undocumented refers to the lack of genuine documentation of the right to be in a country. The presence of a person in a country is not illegal until a court makes that decision.
  • The word immigrant means a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country with or without property documentation.
Having undocumented immigrants in the country does have some undeniably negative effects which the left would like to ignore. Likewise there are benefits that the right prefers to ignore. However, we should question how much of the negative effects are due to the lack of upward mobility and lack of absorption into our culture which is a direct result of being undocumented. Without upward mobility and absorption, undocumented immigrants are frozen into a subculture that is unhealthy for them and the nation.
FALSE! A person illegally crossing the border may or may not have been adjudicated as such, but he's illegal the second he crosses that border without inspection. The court decision is merely a confirmation of that fact.

I mentioned 17 negative harms of immigration. You mentioned zero "benefits" you claim there are.

Immigrant is a person who has gone an immigration process, by the proper authorities.

As for the harms, except for # 14 (cultural erosion), they exist regardless of "absorption into our culture " (aka assimilation). And with regard to cultural erosion, there doesn't seem to be much of it (like the thugs in San Jose, CA, who chased and attcked Trump rallygoers, while waving Mexican flags)
Nope, a person is not guilty of any illegal act without a court ruling. That ruling can take the form of agreeing to deportation and waving a hearing or trial.

The days when Latinos were thrown in the back of a truck and dumped across the boarder with no due process aren't here yet, but it's on the way.

• Undocumented refers to the lack of genuine documentation of the right to be in a country. The presence of a person in a country is not illegal until a court makes that decision.
  • The word immigrant means a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country with or without property documentation.
Having undocumented immigrants in the country does have some undeniably negative effects which the left would like to ignore. Likewise there are benefits that the right prefers to ignore. However, we should question how much of the negative effects are due to the lack of upward mobility and lack of absorption into our culture which is a direct result of being undocumented. Without upward mobility and absorption, undocumented immigrants are frozen into a subculture that is unhealthy for them and the nation.
FALSE! A person illegally crossing the border may or may not have been adjudicated as such, but he's illegal the second he crosses that border without inspection. The court decision is merely a confirmation of that fact.

I mentioned 17 negative harms of immigration. You mentioned zero "benefits" you claim there are.

Immigrant is a person who has gone an immigration process, by the proper authorities.

As for the harms, except for # 14 (cultural erosion), they exist regardless of "absorption into our culture " (aka assimilation). And with regard to cultural erosion, there doesn't seem to be much of it (like the thugs in San Jose, CA, who chased and attcked Trump rallygoers, while waving Mexican flags)
Nope, a person is not guilty of any illegal act without a court ruling. That ruling can take the form of agreeing to deportation and waving a hearing or trial.

The days when Latinos were thrown in the back of a truck and dumped across the boarder with no due process aren't here yet, but it's on the way.
Only citizens are entitled to due process

If they have criminal parents, what do you suggest? Let the criminals go because they need to take care of their kids? If i go commit a crime and im sentenced to jail time, can i tell the judge i have a kid to get out of it? Why should illegal immigrants be any different?

Keep the families together. Did you miss the entire thread?
Do i get to keep my family with me if i go to jail? Why should an illegal immigrant get special treatment above me as a US citizen?

Not the same circumstance, but kind of weird you would want to incarcerate your own kid and think that is some sort of right that you don't have.
What's the difference in circumstance? Parent commits a crime and goes to jail. Do you think that maybe the authorities thought it wouldn't be wise to put kids in jail with random criminals? Who knows if there are pedophiles among them. One must assume that there are some pedos in there.

What's the difference? Clearly you haven't thought this through.
I couldn't help but notice that you completely avoided my point. I assume that's because you didn't have a sound argument to counter it with.

Not so.

Keep the families together. Did you miss the entire thread?
Do i get to keep my family with me if i go to jail? Why should an illegal immigrant get special treatment above me as a US citizen?

Not the same circumstance, but kind of weird you would want to incarcerate your own kid and think that is some sort of right that you don't have.

Kinda weird YOU think it's horrible child abuse NOT to incarcerate children with their illegal immigrant parents.

They are often incarcerated separately from their parents.

No, they are put in the custody of Health and Human Services (I believe that's the correct department) and from there into the custody of child welfare officials, if their parents' incarceration is prolonged.

The more you indulge yourself in inflammatory, fundamentally-flawed rhetoric, the more ludicrous your "outrage" looks.
Taking young children away from their parents should be a last resort. Since the system provides family detention centers, there is no reason why they should not be used. However, the best option is releasing the parents on their own recognizance with monitoring which has proved very effective. It lowers cost and keeps the family together. Of course that's not going to happen because Trump wants to use the system to punish the parents which was never the intent of our immigration laws.

Taking young children away from their parents should be a last resort.
You mean like when their parents go to jail for commiting a crime? Surely you wouldn't expect us to be heartless enough to put young children in adult prisons.

Last edited:

Anyone living in the U.S. — legally or not — has constitutional rights, including the right to equal protection of the law and that of due process (fair treatment in the judicial system). Immigration officers are not required nor do they advise detainees of their rights so they often assume they have none. That's why most detainees do not have lawyers and wave their right to a hearing and accept deportation.
What Constitutional Rights Do Undocumented Immigrants Have When on American Soil? - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

Last edited:

Not so.
Ok, I mean constitutionally. They can be granted it legislatively

Anyone living in the U.S. — legally or not — has constitutional rights, including the right to equal protection of the law and that of due process (fair treatment in the judicial system). Immigration officers are not required nor do they advise detainees of their rights so they often assume they have none. That's why most detainees do not have lawyers and wave their rights and accept deportation which of course is really dumb.
What Constitutional Rights Do Undocumented Immigrants Have When on American Soil? - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org
See last post

You mean like when their parents go to jail for commiting a crime? Surely you wouldn't expect us to be heartless enough to put young children in adult prisons.
No, I mean exactly what I said. Taking young children away from their parent should be a last resort.

Anyone living in the U.S. — legally or not — has constitutional rights, including the right to equal protection of the law and that of due process (fair treatment in the judicial system). Immigration officers are not required nor do they advise detainees of their rights so they often assume they have none. That's why most detainees do not have lawyers and wave their rights and accept deportation which of course is really dumb.
See last post
Link?

Kinda weird YOU think it's horrible child abuse NOT to incarcerate children with their illegal immigrant parents.

No, they are put in the custody of Health and Human Services (I believe that's the correct department) and from there into the custody of child welfare officials, if their parents' incarceration is prolonged.

The more you indulge yourself in inflammatory, fundamentally-flawed rhetoric, the more ludicrous your "outrage" looks.

Yes, they are put into the care of Health and Human Services. Whether they are legal asylum seekers or have illegally entered the country. It's a new policy that needs to stop.

No, it's not a new policy. Children without a parent or guardian available to take charge of them have pretty much always been put in the custody of whatever the prevailing child welfare authority of the time is. And no, that does NOT need to stop, unless you think letting them roam the streets alone is a better, "more humane" plan.

Let's be extremely clear on what's happening here, and the context in which it's happening.

Separation of child from adult has ALWAYS been the policy if the adult is not the parent or legal guardian (or cannot prove he/she is), if the adult is a threat to the child, or if the adult is put into criminal proceedings. ALWAYS.

What is different, and what you leftists are ACTUALLY trying to advocate for without appearing to, is that previous administrations would simply give the adults a free pass if they had kids in tow, a policy which had the result of putting MORE children at risk because it encouraged more adults to drag children into their lawbreaking in order to callously use them as human shields. The real policy change has been that we are now prosecuting the adults, instead of just letting them wander off into the sunset. So when you screech and holler and tear your hair about "ripping children from their parents", you're either stupid or lying to claim that this is something new and unusual and shocking.

And no, we are NOT going to feel guilty about prosecuting people who chose to break the law.

Furthermore, it has been LEFTIST organizations that have been fighting to end family detention centers, precisely because of stated concerns about the well-being of the children, so it's not exactly resonating with anyone that NOW we're hearing that they're more "compassionate" than foster care. It's pretty obvious that what you're REALLY angling for is to box the Trump administration in so that the only choice left is to just let illegals la-di-da off into the general populations to vanish.

There's a difference between "a person is not guilty" and "the act is not illegal". Murder is always illegal, and requires no court ruling to be illegal; I personally am not guilty of murder until a court finds me so. But even if the court can't find sufficient evidence, if I actually DID kill someone, I'm still a murderer.

Likewise, entering this country without permission is always illegal. Thus, the person who enters this country without proper permission is always an illegal immigrant. The fact that they haven't been convicted of it yet doesn't mean it didn't happen, or that it wasn't against the law.

You're running up against one of the classic leftist stupidities: you have no morality, so you think legality can replace it.

And yes, people who are accused of crimes have always had the option to waive (not "wave", dimwit) a trial and simply plead guilty. No one can make them do it; it is THEIR choice, THEIR right.

Taking young children away from their parents should be a last resort. Since the system provides family detention centers, there is no reason why they should not be used. However, the best option is releasing the parents on their own recognizance with monitoring which has proved very effective. It lowers cost and keeps the family together. Of course that's not going to happen because Trump wants to use the system to punish the parents which was never the intent of our immigration laws.

It IS a last resort. You'll notice that we ONLY do it when the parent commits a crime and gets arrested, or when clear evidence exists that the adult is a threat to the child (or if the adult doesn't have a provable right TO the child, but that's something else).

As I keep saying, it was the LEFT that decried family detention centers, and the left which brought all the cases which have led to the laws - all of which predate Trump's presidency - requiring us NOT to detain the kids. Do you even know what the laws ARE in this regard, let alone why they exist? It's hilarious that NOW you want us to believe that family detention centers are the compassionate choice, when just a couple of years ago, leftists were screaming their heads off that we HAD to stop keeping kids there.

So no, that's not going to happen, and it's NOT because of Trump. It's NOT to "punish the parents". It's because it's the law.

And in the meantime we're trying to stop the endless flow in and you're fighting us on that.

Your fight is with reality. People go where the work is. Governments can impede human migration, temporarily and at great cost, but ultimately the "endless flow" will ignore your laws and your walls. The fact is, we're inviting them here. We want them here. We're paying them to be here.
And you get more Democrat voters to boot!

Believe it or not, there's more to life than Democrats and Republicans.
Mirror

Seriously, does it make sense to you formulate immigration policy based on temporary, partisan politics?

And in the meantime we're trying to stop the endless flow in and you're fighting us on that.

Your fight is with reality. People go where the work is. Governments can impede human migration, temporarily and at great cost, but ultimately the "endless flow" will ignore your laws and your walls. The fact is, we're inviting them here. We want them here. We're paying them to be here.

Mirror

Seriously, does it make sense to you formulate immigration policy based on temporary, partisan politics?

Begging the question

No, I mean exactly what I said. Taking young children away from their parent should be a last resort.

We don’t make the decision, the criminal does.

We don’t stop crime, we set deterrents to try to keep criminals from committing crimes. It is the person committing the crime, knowing what might happen, that is culpable.

Mirror

Begging the question
Mirror

Mirror

Begging the question
Mirror
Dblack. I have nothing. I'm going to just repeat what you said to me back to you. It didnt even make sense there either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back