What human cost is acceptable in controling illegal immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

How high is the human cost left behind in the countries they flee from?...Why not work and fight to improve the conditions in Central and South America? Why not ease the pain of corruption in their birth place?...why not stop being a stop gab relief valve enabling corruption to continue from wens the migrants have fled?
Compassion comes with a price for the very ones we are compassionate over....but I guess you sleep well after patting yourself on the back....like a good liberal.....
Why didnt your ancesters stay and improve the country the fled from? Oh ya...double standards eh?
It's sad you can't distinguish between criminals who traffic humans back and forth across the border and legitimate refugees..or recognize the huge amount of suffering that is caused to those refugees by the people who smuggle other people...who you insist we protect..while whining that we try to protect the children they exploit and abuse at teh same time.

And legitimate refugees.
Explain to me how a policy that confiscates 100% of the children makes that distinction?

I will wait.

When are you going to get through your head that the federal courts say a child can't be detained more than 9 days. The courts are dictating the removal of children, not the administration.

"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.
Laws are so confusing. Missouri tax code sucks.What is the issue? The government sucks at taking care of kids? We know.
Republican tax policy slowly ruins everybody but the mega rich... Less federal taxes equals more State and local taxes which kill the non-rich. End of story.

If it were up to me, the feds would get about a quarter of the money they get now and we could afford more local taxes. Local taxes and localized programs are much better than the feds. You have more control over the money and less waste because local politicians are more likely to get voted out for abuse of tax dollars than anybody on the federal level.

Two. Kids of parents in prison typically go to a relative - the other parent, grandparents. The parent in custody has a hearing and a trial before this occurs - particularly when you are talking about a misdeamenor. Illegal entry is not murder. Fail.

If you read your own OP even it stated that's what the feds do, they put children with families if they have family here.

[
In 2016, Obama deported 240,000. In 2017, Trump deported 226,000. At the rate we're deporting, it would take 53 years to deport all 12 million undocumented immigrants and that assumes we have no new arrivals.

Most of Trump deportations have come near the boarder. As we move away from the border the story gets even worse. 80% of the deportations have come from within 30 miles of the boarder. These are the easy ones to deport because most of them are new arrivals and are not overstaying visas so the president can use expedited deportation. However, most of the undocumented immigrants in the country are deeper into the interior. Many are in sanctuary cities where there is less cooperation with ICE. Most of them don't qualify for expedited removal.

Unless we change the law, the 4 to 6 million that overstayed their visas have to be handled in immigration court where each person get's a hearing and they have the right to have their case reviewed by a panel of judges. Many also have legal council, unlike expedite removal. Currently it is taking months to years to deport these people.

The bottom line is what we are doing is not working and you have a president that is zealously deporting everyone he can as fast as he can. What do you think will happen when a democrat is in the white house or congress is controlled by democrats where unlike Trump they would be very concerned with the rights and welfare of the detainees?

We need to look at a plan that at lease has a chance of working because what we are doing now will never work.
Obama deported almost NOBODY in 2016, and his deportations were near zero. The 240,000 number is not deportations, it is summons's issued to appear in an immigration court (which 99% illegal aliens don't show up). Big difference between real deportations (someone returning to home country), and a catch & release ruse that has almost everyone staying in the US.

Illegal aliens in sanctuary cities can be easily found and deported. The "plan" that will work is to tell sanctuary city leaders that they will be arrested and imprisoned, if they don't cooperate fully with ICE. They then, will embark on a program similar to Eisenhower's Operation Wetback in 1954, when INS agents went houses to house, hunting down illegal aliens, and arresting them. Millions were deported in a short period of time.

Sessions need to stop fussing around, and get down to business.
Wrong! According to ICE:
There were 240,255 removals in 2016.
FY 2016 ICE Immigration Removals

How high is the human cost left behind in the countries they flee from?...Why not work and fight to improve the conditions in Central and South America? Why not ease the pain of corruption in their birth place?...why not stop being a stop gab relief valve enabling corruption to continue from wens the migrants have fled?
Compassion comes with a price for the very ones we are compassionate over....but I guess you sleep well after patting yourself on the back....like a good liberal.....
Why didnt your ancesters stay and improve the country the fled from? Oh ya...double standards eh?
It's sad you can't distinguish between criminals who traffic humans back and forth across the border and legitimate refugees..or recognize the huge amount of suffering that is caused to those refugees by the people who smuggle other people...who you insist we protect..while whining that we try to protect the children they exploit and abuse at teh same time.

And legitimate refugees.
Explain to me how a policy that confiscates 100% of the children makes that distinction?

I will wait.

When are you going to get through your head that the federal courts say a child can't be detained more than 9 days. The courts are dictating the removal of children, not the administration.

Removal of children to where? The streets? back home to their home countries where they belong? in 9 days. Ok.

Pay better..... and hire American...the sugar beat industry is doing it and doing well thank you....

Tired of whinny farmers....pay a living wage high enough to attract US citizens or support a new migrant worker program...I know your labor costs will go up either way but hey!....welcome to the real world....
Exactly right. I have no sympathy for traitorous businesses who hire illegal aliens because they say they can't afford to pay American standard wages. If you can't do that, then you can't afford to be in business, and you shouldn't be in it.

So what do you do ? Go out and do what all the rest of us who can't afford to own a business do. Get a job!
We pay people not to work and call it government assistance and we allow illegal migrants to flood our fields at half the cost the position should compensate....creating a welfare dependent class of easily guided sheeple to vote to keep the status quo in place so the swamp can continue to enrich themselves....
If American farmers paid workers twice what they make now, they would lose a large percent of the 135 billion dollars in food product exports. Even if American workers would work the fields for twice the pay, farmers couldn't pay it.

And legitimate refugees.

I will wait.

Removal of children to where? The streets? back home to their home countries where they belong? in 9 days. Ok.

They're turned over to DHS for temporary placement, either with family already here or foster care. That's the law.

Pay better..... and hire American...the sugar beat industry is doing it and doing well thank you....

Tired of whinny farmers....pay a living wage high enough to attract US citizens or support a new migrant worker program...I know your labor costs will go up either way but hey!....welcome to the real world....
Exactly right. I have no sympathy for traitorous businesses who hire illegal aliens because they say they can't afford to pay American standard wages. If you can't do that, then you can't afford to be in business, and you shouldn't be in it.

So what do you do ? Go out and do what all the rest of us who can't afford to own a business do. Get a job!
We pay people not to work and call it government assistance and we allow illegal migrants to flood our fields at half the cost the position should compensate....creating a welfare dependent class of easily guided sheeple to vote to keep the status quo in place so the swamp can continue to enrich themselves....
If American farmers paid workers twice what they make now, they would lose a large percent of the 135 billion dollars in food product exports. Even if American workers would work the fields for twice the pay, farmers couldn't pay it.

They would have to do what everybody else did, and that is raise their prices. If labor becomes so expensive the can't find any workers, then the next step is to invest in automation.

And legitimate refugees.

I will wait.

I never saw the 9 day rule but I'm sure there must be one. Children who accompany parents to detention are either held with parents in a family detention center or they're separated. Currently the administration opts to separate the parents and their children.

The children are turned over to US Health and Human Services who keep them until they are turned over to a foster care agency for placement. In foster care, they are often moved from family to family. Recently it was reported that DHS was unable to determine the whereabouts of nearly 1500 kids. This means the parents will likely be deported without their kids under the Trump zero tolerance policy.

They would have to do what everybody else did, and that is raise their prices. If labor becomes so expensive the can't find any workers, then the next step is to invest in automation.
There is still a lot of farm and field work that can't be done by machines. However much of the picking done manually could be mechanized but at a high cost. Again, the farmer would have to raise prices making his product less competitive on world markets, and also in the US.

Last edited:

None of this stuff would be an issue if the Latin American Socialists were not destroying their own countries and driving their populations into flight.

It is reported that 1 out of 4 AMERICAN kids are Hispanic. In the future, how do you think they'll vote?
They and blacks are natural Republicans but they know the GOP is full of racists and bigots. Tough luck.

It is perplexing. They haven't won a popular vote since 2004 and haven't won a popular vote when they were not the incumbent since 1988. As Hispanic immigrants move from the South up into the northern reaches of the country (Where "we don't get many Hispanics" as the INS guy put it before he detained two women in Montana if memory serves), the carefully gerrymandered districts become vulnerable.

Whether the Democrats can hold on to the Hispanic vote is another question all together--nobody snatches defeat from the jaws of victory like a DEM. But the GOP is not doing itself any favors.

So your suggestion is to just surrender.

Perhaps not be a total prick

Support for protecting your borders is being a total prick?

A hard and fast policy of Ripping kids from their parents is

Look....its not nice to separate kids from families but this is on the parents doing this shit, isn't it? Why are we subject to nice nice crap by people breaking our laws but every other country gets a pass? Imagine Trying to move to any place in europe..france, uk, spain, etc...taking yer kids with ya. What do you think those countries would do? Put you up in a motel with your family while you apply for citizenship? Oh hell no.
So what IS the answer? Keep doing what we are doing to stop people with harsh consequences for THEIR actions. If this means dividing kids from parents..well....maybe eventually the parents will get a clue and cease breaking our laws.

None of this stuff would be an issue if the Latin American Socialists were not destroying their own countries and driving their populations into flight.
Honduras which is where most of the asylum seekers are coming from is a democratic republic like the US but the leadership is far right. Honduras is a great example what can happen in a poor country under far right conservative leadership. The government, the national and local police are so corrupt it's hard to say whether the gangs or the police are worse.

Honduras which is where most of the asylum seekers are coming from is a democratic republic like the US but the leadership is far right. Honduras is a great example what can happen in a poor country under far right conservative leadership. The government, the national and local police are so corrupt it's hard to say whether the gangs or the police are worse.

Says who? Show the statistics of Honduran nationals illegally emigrating to the US. The Huffington Post is not a valid source.

Look....its not nice to separate kids from families but this is on the parents doing this shit, isn't it? Why are we subject to nice nice crap by people breaking our laws but every other country gets a pass? Imagine Trying to move to any place in europe..france, uk, spain, etc...taking yer kids with ya. What do you think those countries would do? Put you up in a motel with your family while you apply for citizenship? Oh hell no.
So what IS the answer? Keep doing what we are doing to stop people with harsh consequences for THEIR actions. If this means dividing kids from parents..well....maybe eventually the parents will get a clue and cease breaking our laws.
That's pretty unlikely. Most of those attempting to enter illegally now are not job seekers from Mexico. They come from places that are so bad, there's nothing we can do to them that is worst than home. In Honduras when they take away your kids which is very common, they're either dead or wish they were.

That's pretty unlikely. Most of those attempting to enter illegally now are not job seekers from Mexico. They come from places that are so bad, there's nothing we can do to them that is worst than home. In Honduras when they take away your kids which is very common, they're either dead or wish they were.
So...WE are supposed to now support and raise their kids?

If they go into foster care instead of staying with their parents in a family detention center, it's certainly possible.

If they go into foster care instead of staying with their parents in a family detention center, it's certainly possible.
Um. Yeah. No.
We need to take care of our own.

No illegal aliens-children or otherwise-should be allowed to stay. Zero tolerance. End of story.

How about the unnecessary separation of children from their parents?
It's a deterrent, as in, don't want to be separated from your children, then don't bring them here illegally. Once the word gets around, they'll cut it out. maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back