What Is A "Jury of your peers"?

I don't understand the term. Would black people say that when a black person is tried with an all white or mostly white jury that it would be called a jury of your peers? What about if you are a staunch Republican (we'll just call him Donald J Trump) and you have a trial in a deep blue city inside a deep blue state (with a deep blue DA and deep blue prosecutors and a deep blue judge)? Would that be called a jury of your peers? What in the hell is a peer?

Why they are people who check all the same boxes as you. So, for instance, if you are a serial killer, your peers would be 12 other serial killers who get to decide if you are worthy of being in their Members Only club.

While technically accurate, you do know that is a bit of a strawman, yes?
The strawman I’m worried about is MAGA trying to suggest there’s corruption in every trial or election they don’t win and then slander their fellow citizens.

#FELONinCHIEF

Lib loons offering their feelings that 12 Democrats out of NYC are Trumps impartial “peers”

If you're an accountant, your peers are other accountants.

If you're a plumber, your peers are other plumbers.

If you're an American, your peers are other Americans.

It's just context. This ain't all that complicated.

Does that mean if you're a FELON, your peers are in jail?

A jury with lots of commonality
If you are a wealthy businessman then half of the jury should be like kind
It should Not be 12 Orange Man Bad
And who would be the peers of a convicted felon?

Here's an solid definition from the Cornell Law School:

One used pretty much everywhere.

Why they are people who check all the same boxes as you. So, for instance, if you are a serial killer, your peers would be 12 other serial killers who get to decide if you are worthy of being in their Members Only club.

Its a nonsense standard. You'll find that most of the outrage on 'legal violations' and 'constitutional violations' by the MAGA crowd is just them not understanding how the law works.

Like when Trump insisted that the gag order prevented him from testifying. Just meaningless pseudo-legal nonsense

In legal terms, its anyone who is an adult citizen. Usually from the same general geographic location as the alleged crime in question.
However, the term implies that the "peers" will be fair and unbiased. I wouldn't want to be that black person with an all white jury and get told I am being judged by a jury of my peers.

However, the term implies that the "peers" will be fair and unbiased. I wouldn't want to be that black person with an all white jury and get told I am being judged by a jury of my peers.

Trump's legal team got unlimited dismissals of potential jurors for cause. And 10 dismissals for any reason they like.

Trump's team simply had no basis for cause in dismissing any of the people that became jurors or alternates.

That's due process. And the same standard that pretty much anyone in NY is held to. Its not particularly remarkable.

A jury of your peers, is a jury who live in the district you commit your crimes in. 6th amendment describes the process of indictments, in the district the crime is committed with the jury from same district.
I wouldn't want to be that black person with an all white jury and get told that a jury of my peers is going to decide if I am innocent or guilty.

I don't understand the term. Would black people say that when a black person is tried with an all white or mostly white jury that it would be called a jury of your peers? What about if you are a staunch Republican (we'll just call him Donald J Trump) and you have a trial in a deep blue city inside a deep blue state (with a deep blue DA and deep blue prosecutors and a deep blue judge)? Would that be called a jury of your peers? What in the hell is a peer?
Peers is not required.

A good example is Trump. Trump is ultra rich, well educated and has served the public.
The jury had none of that.

The Sixth Amendment guarantees the rights of criminal defendants, including the right to a public trial without unnecessary delay, the right to a lawyer, the right to an impartial jury, and the right to know who your accusers are and the nature of the charges and evidence against you. It has been most visibly tested in a series of cases involving terrorism, but much more often figures in cases that involve (for example) jury selection or the protection of witnesses, including victims of sex crimes as well as witnesses in need of protection from retaliation.

Lib loons offering their feelings that 12 Democrats out of NYC are Trumps impartial “peers”
It’s a flawed system, but tell me of one better.
When would that happen in this day and age? :rolleyes-41:

With what you are trying to so diligently trying to convince others to believe, is that now the convicted felon P01135809, should have had Russian operatives on the jury during his trial.
Brilliant try . NOT..!

I guess this was a logical progression from bitching about the charges, then bitching about the judge, to now bitching about the jury and feigning ignorance about the term “peer”.
I'm just saying that if I were a black person with an all white jury and got told I would be being judged by a jury of my peers, I would be thinking, "Yeah, right".

In racist America your peers won't be considered to be people with different colour skin than yours.

Other modern countries don't see any difference, according to a person's skin.

Neither does skin colour make any difference in intelligence in those other countries. In America they can detect lower intelligence in some non-white people on account of them having less opportunity.

Forum List

Back