What is the best concert you've been to?

New Orleans International Pop Festival...

three-day event that happened two weeks after Woodstock...

lotsa big names...

but of 'em all, the one that blew my socks off was this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLinEY7Zn8as I stood at the edge of the stage no more'n twenny feet away from her...

I'm jealous. I never saw Janis live but when I listen to her, I can hear the absolute passion she put into her music. She was one of a kind.

New Orleans International Pop Festival...

three-day event that happened two weeks after Woodstock...

lotsa big names...

but of 'em all, the one that blew my socks off was this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLinEY7Zn8as I stood at the edge of the stage no more'n twenny feet away from her...

I'm jealous. I never saw Janis live but when I listen to her, I can hear the absolute passion she put into her music. She was one of a kind.

yep... she was definitely one of a kind...

At the time I didn't really expect that I would like it much but I ended up enjoying a concert put on by Johnny Winter at the Catalyst Nightclub in Santa Cruz back in the mid 80s. The dude is basically an albino which made his performance a bit more of a spectacle. He played well and I really enjoyed it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kPQLLLYAc"]Johnny Winter - Woodstock 1969.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDl97F8TKM"]Johnny Winter - Rock And Roll, Hoochie Koo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Would be hard pressed to say what the "best" concert I've ever been to would be. Here are some of the ones I truly enjoyed:

1. A John Denver concert in Philadelphia.
2. Attended numerous Statler Brother concerts. They were all very good.
3. George Strait/Conway Twitty concert was really good.
4. Barry Manilow concert was good.
5. A Gene Watson concert I attended was good.

There are many others but they don't come to mind right now.

Surprising maybe but Billy Joel was one of my favorites. His entire cast was so entertaining and the music was wonderful.

Why would that be surprising?

Well I've been to big rock concerts with hundreds of thousands and some might think those are the best. I saw Billy at our local arena when his songs were fresh and new. It was just such a good experience. Memorable.

There is something about being in a small venue. After his stints in The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan, I used to catch Cornelius Bumpus at the Santa Cruz Hotel bar. He was born and raised in Santa Cruz and when his career was winding down he came back to his roots and played the local bars. Good times in a venue with 50 or less people.

Would be hard pressed to say what the "best" concert I've ever been to would be. Here are some of the ones I truly enjoyed:

1. A John Denver concert in Philadelphia.
2. Attended numerous Statler Brother concerts. They were all very good.
3. George Strait/Conway Twitty concert was really good.
4. Barry Manilow concert was good.
5. A Gene Watson concert I attended was good.

There are many others but they don't come to mind right now.

sounds like you've led a rather sheltered life, BBD...

jes' sayin'... :)

At the time I didn't really expect that I would like it much but I ended up enjoying a concert put on by Jonathan Winter at the Catalyst Nightclub in Santa Cruz back in the mid 80s. The dude is basically an albino which made his performance a bit more of a spectacle. He played well and I really enjoyed it:

Wow, the first 'concert' I ever saw was at The Catalyst Nightclub in Santa Cruz. My dad took me, my brother and my sister to see Bo Diddly, it was an early showing where they allowed the under 21 folk to attend.

Why would that be surprising?

Well I've been to big rock concerts with hundreds of thousands and some might think those are the best. I saw Billy at our local arena when his songs were fresh and new. It was just such a good experience. Memorable.

There is something about being in a small venue. After his stints in The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan, I used to catch Cornelius Bumpus at the Santa Cruz Hotel bar. He was born and raised in Santa Cruz and when his career was winding down he came back to his roots and played the local bars. Good times in a venue with 50 or less people.

A smaller venue is what he's all about. I wish I could have seen Billy Joel when he was just a piano man.

What is the best concert you've been to?
For me, I'd have to say The Golden Summernight concert.
m1896_p1.jpg

Not listed on the poster, but a woman that performed at that concert was Nena
Nena - 99 Luftballons German Version - YouTube

I started at Dick Clark's Bandstand and the Uptown Theater in Philly but the most riveting concert was Jimi Hendrix at the 2nd Fret when nobody knew him.

A smaller venue is what he's all about. I wish I could have seen Billy Joel when he was just a piano man.

Maybe he'll return to his roots and you'll get that opportunity.

I know it's wrong for me to think it, but I can't help but think it's unfair that a hack like Billy Joel is still alive while folks like Jim Croce died long ago in a plane crash...

I know it's wrong for me to think it, but I can't help but think it's unfair that a hack like Billy Joel is still alive while folks like Jim Croce died long ago in a plane crash...

Plane flight got safer. But then, that didn't help Stevie's helicopter.

Plane flight got safer. But then, that didn't help Stevie's helicopter.

meh... ain't that the truth...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k[/ame]

on the same bill around 68 at the Anaheim CC for 8 bucks was Hendrix,the Doors and the Jefferson Airplane.....8 bucks.....:eusa_angel:

At the time I didn't really expect that I would like it much but I ended up enjoying a concert put on by Jonathan Winter at the Catalyst Nightclub in Santa Cruz back in the mid 80s. The dude is basically an albino which made his performance a bit more of a spectacle. He played well and I really enjoyed it:

Wow, the first 'concert' I ever saw was at The Catalyst Nightclub in Santa Cruz. My dad took me, my brother and my sister to see Bo Diddly, it was an early showing where they allowed the under 21 folk to attend.

I only lived in Santa Cruz for a couple of years (prior to the big earthquake) but really loved that town. The temperatures were mild year around and there was quick access to the beach and the mountains. Really cool place.

I especially liked the Catalyst. It was big enough to draw a decent crowd which drew some pretty well known musicians but it was small enough to give it a bit of an intimate feeling. I saw Donovan play there (Mellow Yellow, Sunshine Superman, Season of the Witch, etc.). I also went to a club or two in Capitola but it was a bit too glitzy for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuPbJLqFKI"]Sunshine Superman- Donovan - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzTnsSgs2s"]Donovan - Season of the Witch - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbni0tVBZ8"]Donovan - Mellow Yellow - YouTube[/ame]

That was fun to watch!!

Last edited:
I would like to say that the very best concert I went to was Humble Pie and Mahogany Rush but I was so messed up on acid, booze, and reefer that I don't remember much and didn't have any fun at all. Too paranoid!!! I ended up leaving the concert and my friends and somehow finding my way home.

Billy Joel is not a "hack."

I respectfully disagree...

Billy Joel has had popular success way fuckin' beyond what his meager talent deserves...

I respectfully disagree...

Billy Joel has had popular success way fuckin' beyond what his meager talent deserves...

I like to listen to a tune several times in a row each time blocking out everything but a particular instrument. With the following tune I like to just listen to the piano while blocking out everything else. I find Joel's piano playing to be very entertaining. Then you add the fact that he has to play that piano while singing and remembering the words to the story he's telling and I can't help but hear a very talented musician. I think this is a classic song that will live on for a long time:

Piano Man by Billy Joel:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0]Billy Joel - Piano Man - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back