What is the cause of kids commiting mass shootings in school ?

I don't want to talk politics or guns on this subject because guns have been around for hundreds of yrs and politics even longer ......when I was in high school kids would drive to school with rifles and shot guns hanging on gun racks and you never heard about someone getting shot much less dozens being injured or killed ......so instead of arguing over the weapons used or not used in these mass killings I would like opinions on what motivates todays kids to commit acts of evil that was unheard of 30yrs ago ? what has changed ? what is different about the way kids think today ?

The one variable in the equation is our culture itself. By that I mean both society, the schools which have vastly changed, and the children which are the outcome of all of this. Society has become degenerate, the schools are dehumanized and uncaring (read: zero tolerance), and children as a biological organism respond to this as only they can, in revolt. Revolt can only take two forms: inward withdraw/obsequiousness or outward hostility/resistance. Children are becoming cruel, unfeeling, self-centered, depersonalized, particularly as their world is increasingly all on their smartphone and computer, not with real people (including their parents). And we must ask what "zero tolerance" is? You're not allowed to make a mistake anymore? No second chances? No consideration of the situation? Just the robotic execution of rules, saying "it's not me, I'm just following THE RULES?"

No one has authority anymore, everything is decided by committee. Parents are being phased out of their childrten's lives as the schools push more and more to do the raising themselves and instill the State's set of values. No one WANTS authority anymore because with it comes responsibility. Children come into this now dysfunctional, conflicted world helpless and feel the victim of a system they cannot fathom as fair. Take your hat off to the great social experiment: Progressivism-- -- -- -- we have "progressed" from the traditional family, we have progressed from morality, ethics, patriotism and spiritual / religious values, we have "progressed" from where now, kids are even confused about their country, its history, its rightness, and even their own sexual identity, and we are trying to turn our kids into little Stepford machines--------- unfortunately, they still just want to be little kids. And you wonder why some of them are pulling out a gun and shooting everyone? It is a CRY FOR HELP---- ---- PLEASE, someone, please fix the insanity that Liberals call "progress."

Last edited:
I don't want to talk politics or guns on this subject because guns have been around for hundreds of yrs and politics even longer ......when I was in high school kids would drive to school with rifles and shot guns hanging on gun racks and you never heard about someone getting shot much less dozens being injured or killed ......so instead of arguing over the weapons used or not used in these mass killings I would like opinions on what motivates todays kids to commit acts of evil that was unheard of 30yrs ago ? what has changed ? what is different about the way kids think today ?
As a people we have lowered our standard of conduct.

These are some of the predictable surprises for doing so.

Today most parents will say things like 'Let's not do this because of that, ok??' Most of the time the kid will say OK, then turn right around & do it again. Then the parents will count to 3, and the kid continues and the parent counts to 3 again......without ever following thru with a consequence.

My parents told me 'Don't do that or else' and many times I got the 'or else'. There was no bargaining or counting about it.

When I was 5, I was being bad, so I ran up to the top of a tree to escape a whipping.

I was all "Haha! You can't get me"

Next thing I know, the teacher is right below me, and I had 2 options:

I could either come down right now and spend time in timeout,

or she'd get me down and I get a whippin' and double the timeout.

I picked option A

you may be right,but if that were the only cause why were California schools not being shot up 30 yrs ago ??

Not so. The kind of randomly targeted violence we are seeing today is a relatively recent phenomenon. There occasionally were spectacular killings in past decades but they involved one or two victims and with very few exceptions there was some comprehensible motivation for the killer's action. Not so now.

Many behaviorists believe some suicides are homicides turned inward and some homicides are suicides turned outward. That makes a lot of sense to me. Life in America can be tough in a very strange way. An increasingly strange way.

I cant help but notice that not a single liberal has given this post a winner,thank you or agree.
Were you all pussies growing up?

The evidence is there to see on youtube.
All these millennials complaining about the cops abusing them when they've clearly broken the law.
STFU and take your punishment!! You Broke The Fucken Law!!!!!

We have a culture that approves of crime. Remember Hillary invited the mothers of notorious black super-predators to the DNC presidential convention. The left's attitude is that crime isn't the coercion of others, but the belief in freedom.

Didn't kelly ann conway just break the Hatch Act again...and don trump will bury it...

Got the culture of crime right.

Is this thread just filled with old white grumpy assholes yelling at kids on their lawn and $7.50 hamburgers...

Yes it is.

People are not born with a moral conscience. Children have to be taught morality. Maybe today's kids are not being taught right from wrong.
You try and teach them and there are fifty others teaching them different on their phone. left swipe right swipe never look any one in the eye. They do not hang togerther other than on phones and have not learned how to deal with orthers in person. None of this helps.

There are as many reasons as there are mass shootings. The sort of individuals who commit mass murder may or may not be mentally ill. One trait found in almost all cases is the perpetrator blames others for his problems. This starts of course in childhood and grows with the child. Kids need praise and need discipline but most of all they need to be taught to take responsibility for their actions or lack of them.

Thankfully, mass killings in our schools are rare because it's very unlike we will be able to do anything about them.

Today most parents will say things like 'Let's not do this because of that, ok??' Most of the time the kid will say OK, then turn right around & do it again. Then the parents will count to 3, and the kid continues and the parent counts to 3 again......without ever following thru with a consequence.

My parents told me 'Don't do that or else' and many times I got the 'or else'. There was no bargaining or counting about it.

When I was 5, I was being bad, so I ran up to the top of a tree to escape a whipping.

I was all "Haha! You can't get me"

Next thing I know, the teacher is right below me, and I had 2 options:

I could either come down right now and spend time in timeout,

or she'd get me down and I get a whippin' and double the timeout.

I picked option A

I don't ever remember being physically punished by a teacher, other than being hit once with a ruler.......yeah the old wooden ruler with the metal strip

But my parents sure did, and then some.

Picture being a kid with no father, an exhausted mother who works all day and tries to keep children clean, fed, and clothed. Put that child in an oversized school with oversized classes. Then insist that all teachers teach to a lesson plan designed for the average student at a pace set by the District office for all schools in that district. Someone decided that classrooms should be integrated with all abilities which means the classroom consists of students who are above average--and students who are below average.

So here you have it: A child whose father is not present; whose mother is exhausted endeavoring to be all; whose teacher is teaching to those of middling ability--which means two thirds of the class is pretty much on their own the greater majority of the time. Teachers do their best, but they have very little time for individual learning issues because of the lesson pace they are required to keep. Finally, top it off with the child being a natural dork, simply shy, or cannot get along with his peers.

Sometimes I think we are doing remarkably well given how we are treating our children. Let's do better. Dads, keep the family together. Moms, if possible ease up on the work/household schedule. Taxpayers, insist on smaller class sizes where students can get more individualized help. Kids, do no bully your peers. Everyone, keep a sharp eye out for those who could use help.

Trying to put myself in to kids heads, my gut tells me it starts with isolation, you can be connected to everyone and still have no real friends. The world should be fair but other kids seem to have it all and that is seen as being unfair. Put all of this together and it is requires a cry for help. Most kids learn to deal with it but a few can't and act out their cry for attention and help. As a society we worship fame, for whatever reason, and mass killings equate to fame. What better way to grab the attention you have never had than to do something extreme. Plenty of others have done it before.

Fatherless, broken homes; and the desperate search for attention, or fame caused by it...

\

In case you don't know:

The removal of God from schools
The removal of discipline from schools

No God + no discipline= a bunch of degenerate heathens with no respect for anything.

Who could have known? :dunno:

Anybody with half a brain.
But discipline begins at home. Without fathers there to set the standard; how do you think these proud single mother (%80 of divorces are initiated by the woman) will react to total strangers disciplining their coddled babies?

Addiction to electronics and violent imagery in media not seen in the past and at younger ages.
Addiction to social media that the creators even admit is harmful.
Failure to distinguish fantasy from the reality of real violence.
Failure of the education system since the inception of the Dept.of Education.
Failure of our mental health system and justice system.
Lazy parenting.
And to add, it seems a lot of these kids are prescribed powerful drugs altering mood and behavior.

I am with Petro to a degree. Columbine occurred in 1999. The internet had become mainstream, most people had cell phones and many kids were texting. This removed many filters and the forced deliberation of communication between people. I don’t think it is a coincidence that the rise of this type of communication occurred near the same time mass shootings began to escalate.

Addiction to electronics and violent imagery in media not seen in the past and at younger ages.
Addiction to social media that the creators even admit is harmful.
Failure to distinguish fantasy from the reality of real violence.
Failure of the education system since the inception of the Dept.of Education.
Failure of our mental health system and justice system.
Lazy parenting.
And to add, it seems a lot of these kids are prescribed powerful drugs altering mood and behavior.

I am with Petro to a degree. Columbine occurred in 1999. The internet had become mainstream, most people had cell phones and many kids were texting. This removed many filters and the forced deliberation of communication between people. I don’t think it is a coincidence that the rise of this type of communication occurred near the same time mass shootings began to escalate.

Harris's AOL account was passed around like a rag doll that night.

Interesting point you have there.

Social media.

Children are conditioned to believe that a like on facebook from a "friend" is more important than the respect of an actual person in their daily lives.

They have yet to see that the online world is not the real world where people actually have to interact.

Because of this these kids are only concerned about a false online image of themselves and have become narcissists that instead of gazing in a mirror stare in rapt attention at their own avatar thinking it is the real them

Instead of bringing guns into schools, funding needs to go to counselors and expanding a health care curriculum to include a mental health aspect, along with other non traditional academic studies (i.e. Human sexuality, suicide, substance abuse, and life styles effect on health and aging).

I imagine the cost to outfit, vet and train teachers who would be willing to carry a gun at school to be enormously more expensive, than to do all the above and include county services such as Probation Officers and Social Workers who have information on families not available to schools.

Forum List

Back