What is the cause of kids commiting mass shootings in school ?

Social media.

Children are conditioned to believe that a like on facebook from a "friend" is more important than the respect of an actual person in their daily lives.

They have yet to see that the online world is not the real world where people actually have to interact.

Because of this these kids are only concerned about a false online image of themselves and have become narcissists that instead of gazing in a mirror stare in rapt attention at their own avatar thinking it is the real them

Well that describes about half the adult population of this board.........

Social media.

Children are conditioned to believe that a like on facebook from a "friend" is more important than the respect of an actual person in their daily lives.

They have yet to see that the online world is not the real world where people actually have to interact.

Because of this these kids are only concerned about a false online image of themselves and have become narcissists that instead of gazing in a mirror stare in rapt attention at their own avatar thinking it is the real them

Well that describes about half the adult population of this board.........
Not only here. Facebook is turning some adults into social retards.
I know of several friendships that have dissolved due to posts one finds offensive. Some folks tend to turn off a normal social filter as soon as they are online and post crap they would never say to someone's face.

You try and teach them and there are fifty others teaching them different on their phone. left swipe right swipe never look any one in the eye. They do not hang together other than on phones and have not learned how to deal with others in person. None of this helps.
You've described one element of a rising social pathology referred to by sociologists and behaviorists as alienation. Dr. Erich Fromm has written several extremely interesting and informative books on the subject; Escape From Freedom, The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, and The Sane Society.

Last edited:
I don't want to talk politics or guns on this subject because guns have been around for hundreds of yrs and politics even longer ......when I was in high school kids would drive to school with rifles and shot guns hanging on gun racks and you never heard about someone getting shot much less dozens being injured or killed ......so instead of arguing over the weapons used or not used in these mass killings I would like opinions on what motivates todays kids to commit acts of evil that was unheard of 30yrs ago ? what has changed ? what is different about the way kids think today ?
"Live and Let Live" Ends in Death

Creeps are tolerated, instead of being harassed mercilessly until they hate themselves and commit suicide alone in their dark pit. Those who say that's what causes them to take it out on their classmates are wrong, dead wrong. Just like cattle are, this whole narcissistic generation is being prepared for a barbecue

Today most parents will say things like 'Let's not do this because of that, ok??' Most of the time the kid will say OK, then turn right around & do it again. Then the parents will count to 3, and the kid continues and the parent counts to 3 again......without ever following thru with a consequence.

My parents told me 'Don't do that or else' and many times I got the 'or else'. There was no bargaining or counting about it.

When I was 5, I was being bad, so I ran up to the top of a tree to escape a whipping.

I was all "Haha! You can't get me"

Next thing I know, the teacher is right below me, and I had 2 options:

I could either come down right now and spend time in timeout,

or she'd get me down and I get a whippin' and double the timeout.

I picked option A

Was corporal punishment still legal when you were in school?

Right up until my junior year.

There are as many reasons as there are mass shootings. The sort of individuals who commit mass murder may or may not be mentally ill. One trait found in almost all cases is the perpetrator blames others for his problems. This starts of course in childhood and grows with the child. Kids need praise and need discipline but most of all they need to be taught to take responsibility for their actions or lack of them.

Thankfully, mass killings in our schools are rare because it's very unlike we will be able to do anything about them.

They need their parents to teach them trust versus mistrust and empathy.

Today most parents will say things like 'Let's not do this because of that, ok??' Most of the time the kid will say OK, then turn right around & do it again. Then the parents will count to 3, and the kid continues and the parent counts to 3 again......without ever following thru with a consequence.

My parents told me 'Don't do that or else' and many times I got the 'or else'. There was no bargaining or counting about it.

When I was 5, I was being bad, so I ran up to the top of a tree to escape a whipping.

I picked option A

How many years where you a junior?

I don't want to talk politics or guns on this subject because guns have been around for hundreds of yrs and politics even longer ......when I was in high school kids would drive to school with rifles and shot guns hanging on gun racks and you never heard about someone getting shot much less dozens being injured or killed ......so instead of arguing over the weapons used or not used in these mass killings I would like opinions on what motivates todays kids to commit acts of evil that was unheard of 30yrs ago ? what has changed ? what is different about the way kids think today ?

I think they are indifferent to seeing death. Video games and movies glorify the downside of firearms. Also, there is a breakdown in the family and youngsters understanding right from wrong. Our culture has changed in the last 3 decades to one where a family's reputation means nothing to these killers. Their whole life was likely absent of negative consequences where one learns early that positive consequences for actions is the goal. And finally, God has been driven from not only our schools, but homes as well

Sad times

-Geaux

I picked option A

1/2 , or is that 1 1/2?

So long ago, I couldn't tell ya.

I picked option A

1/2 , or is that 1 1/2?

When did you lose your ability to think critically or to be thoughtful?

I picked option A

1/2 , or is that 1 1/2?

About the time you started being a faggot.

1/2 , or is that 1 1/2?

About the time you started being a faggot.

Wow, straight to your sexual insecurities...

I think that you need for the first time in your life to address them.

Lack of two parent families, fathers missing from the household. Kids being doped with Ritalin for acting like kids.

Lack of two parent families, fathers missing from the household. Kids being doped with Ritalin for acting like kids.
In other words, as a people we have lowered our standard of conduct. We have normalized the deviance from the standard such that we have forgotten why we had the standard in the first place.

Normalization of deviance leads to predictable surprises.

Surprise.

Or to put it another way, failed behaviors naturally lead to failure just as successful behaviors naturally lead to success.

There is a reason for everything.

Well, one thing ALL of these murderers have in common is that they were all on or were recently on some heavy duty psychiatric medications. The government apparently hasn't felt the need to fund any studies into any relationships between pumping kids up with these psychiatric meds and incidents of violence. It is pretty well known that teens who were on Zoloft had felt an urge to kill and that was blamed on a "side effect" of Zoloft.

I recall a story of a boy who was suffering from relatively minor mental health issues, who was put on Zoloft and ended up killing both of his grandparents.

Where I am certainly against the idea of over-prescribing medications, that's one area where we do find conflict.

The medications have been proven to be effective in numerous cases.
There are clear warnings on the packaging indicating it necessary to monitor the behavior of the person prescribed.
Side effects vary with the individual, and violence, mood swings or suicidal thoughts are boldly noted.

It is a matter of recognizing when what you are doing is not achieving the required goal.
That burden, and the burden of addressing those failures, requires active participation and the desire look for an alternative method.

Well, psychiatry used to be about finding out what is the underlying issue and treating that issue with therapy and SOMETIMES medication (some people may have a chemical imbalance and need meds), but it just seems that doctors are more than happy to just write a prescription and call it good.
Often the underlying issues can require years of therapy with a psychiatrist managing drug therapy, psychoanalysis by a clinical psychologist or a mental health counselor helping the patient work through problems such as anger management, depression, suicidal thoughts, aging, parenting, self image, relational problems, stress, or addiction. The fly in the ointment is the cost. Health insurance companies apply the the rules "medically necessary" to mental illness treatments which results in limits on visits, practitioners within network, and case management. The problem is even worst with Medicaid which pays for 28% of all mental healthcare in the country.

The one variable in the equation is our culture itself. By that I mean both society, the schools which have vastly changed, and the children which are the outcome of all of this. Society has become degenerate, the schools are dehumanized and uncaring (read: zero tolerance), and children as a biological organism respond to this as only they can, in revolt. Revolt can only take two forms: inward withdraw/obsequiousness or outward hostility/resistance. Children are becoming cruel, unfeeling, self-centered, depersonalized, particularly as their world is increasingly all on their smartphone and computer, not with real people (including their parents). And we must ask what "zero tolerance" is? You're not allowed to make a mistake anymore? No second chances? No consideration of the situation? Just the robotic execution of rules, saying "it's not me, I'm just following THE RULES?"

No one has authority anymore, everything is decided by committee. Parents are being phased out of their childrten's lives as the schools push more and more to do the raising themselves and instill the State's set of values. No one WANTS authority anymore because with it comes responsibility. Children come into this now dysfunctional, conflicted world helpless and feel the victim of a system they cannot fathom as fair. Take your hat off to the great social experiment: Progressivism-- -- -- -- we have "progressed" from the traditional family, we have progressed from morality, ethics, patriotism and spiritual / religious values, we have "progressed" from where now, kids are even confused about their country, its history, its rightness, and even their own sexual identity, and we are trying to turn our kids into little Stepford machines--------- unfortunately, they still just want to be little kids. And you wonder why some of them are pulling out a gun and shooting everyone? It is a CRY FOR HELP---- ---- PLEASE, someone, please fix the insanity that Liberals call "progress."

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THERE WERE NO STUDIES, DATA or RESEARCH linking cellphone use, video games and other social factors in affecting children's minds inducing depression and other mental factors leading to school shootings and dared me to provide such, I have a great awakening for you. Can't be sure if it was on this thread or one of the hundred other threads on the topic where several people claimed there was absolutely NO studies supporting such, but, while I generally don't watch local news, I was dozing with the TV on and the local CBS affiliate came on and one of their top stories was EXACTLY THAT: a number of studies including one they specifically mentioned out of the Massachusetts's Clay Center, where they had come to the exact conclusions I had earlier outlined. I've included a few links on the Clay Center and cellphone topics that I found doing a quick, cursory search. Considering this is the effect of just normal cellphone usage for communication, and that many video games are played via cellphone, it boggles the mind how some of the people here close their minds totally to the possibility and connections between cellphones, video games, isolation, depression and the rise in aberrant behavior, violence and shootings in school children.

The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Weekend Links: Smartphones and Depression, C-Section Rates & More
iPhone In The Baby Bag - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
When Digital Natives Become Parents - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
Which Came First The Cell Phone or Feeling Isolated?

But I took the matter one step further, and for the people who said there was absolutely no research connecting depression and other mental factors with video games, again, just a quick, cursory search, I found THIS:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-cause-depression-anxiety-and-social-phobia-2
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...e-depression-in-children-new-study-finds.aspx
https://consumer.healthday.com/ment...ied-to-depression-anxiety-in-kids-648899.html
Video Games and the Depressed Teenager
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...link-to-psychiatric-orders-suggested-by-study
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...aming-Can-Lead-to-Mental-Health-Problems.aspx

It constantly amazes me the number of arm-chair experts on this message board who are often absolutely adamant about getting so much totally wrong.

Differences:

1. Destruction of the nuclear family structure in which boys had dads at home to teach them how to become responsible men.
2. The Great Society programs that encouraged #1 by paying teenage girls to be unwed mothers.
3. Prog takeover of public schools and the ensuing transformation of education programs into Prog indoctrination.
4. Identity politics that have enabled #3 to eliminate proper discipline in schools.
5. The demonization of men which has resulted in treating little boys like deformed girls and drugging them with ADHDs.
6. Social Media which is fucking up children's minds.

For starters.
Most of this was due to cultural changes in society brought about by increased personal income, automation, demand for higher education, better employment opportunities for women, falling demand for manual labor, increased mobility of the population, falling influence of the unions, competition from abroad as the world recovered from WWII, increased disparity in income, demand for equality in the work place, etc. The reasons for cultural changes are complex and can't be controlled in free society.

Forum List

Back