What is the definition of "assault weapon?"

It's used to kill people not for hunting.
Well by that definition an AR-15 is not an assault weapon. It can be and is used for hunting.

***snip***

What states can you not hunt with an AR?​

States that don’t allow hunting with an AR-15

• California.
  • Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
  • New Jersey.
  • New York.

Here is an interesting article on the AR-15 from CNN.

***snip***

Owners can remodel the guns themselves, or they can construct one from scratch with their favorite features.

“It’s everything you want,” said Bartocci, the “Black Rifle II” author. “You want a hunting rifle? It does it. You want a target rifle? It does it. You want a law-enforcement rifle? It does it.”

The AR-15 is now the most popular sporting rifle in the U.S. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 style rifles accounted for an estimated 61 percent of all US civilian rifle sales in 2016. The National Rifle Association reports that Americans own more than 15 million AR-15s today.

As more AR-15 style rifles entered the market, the competition caused the price to drop. During the ban, Weeks said an AR-15 could have cost well over $1,000. But an AR-15 from his store costs as little as $400 today.
Handguns, including revolvers, are used for self defense and sport. They are not typically used for hunting.

Try again.
Handguns are definitely used for hunting. Obviously you don’t normally use a snub nosed revolver for hunting but a long barreled .357 magnum handgun and up work well.

I live in Florida and when hunting season starts you see a number of hunters come out to the pistol range to sight in their revolvers. .44 Magnum revolvers are quite popular for hunting. I remember one hunter who had a Freedom Arms .454 Causal revolver and was amazingly accurate with it at 50 yards.

I have had hog hunters tell me that they often carry a .44 mag revolver. When a hog charges the hunter often drops his rifle or shotgun and climbs a tree. It can be helpful to have a revolver to shoot the hog so you can climb back down.

***snip***

HOW TO SURVIVE AN ATTACK BY A WILD HOG?
Playing dead in a pig attack is a bad approach, mainly because the pig now has access to goring your stomach – which is bad. So, here are a few tried and true methods that have worked for survivors of pig attacks.

• First, if you see a pig approaching from a distance, run away. Keep in mind that they’re fast, so this won’t work if they’re already very close.
  • If they continue approaching you, try to get up a tree. They can’t climb, so 6’ up and you’re probably safe.
  • If there are no trees around, stand your ground and prepare to fight the pig. If you don’t have a gun, knife or spear, use anything you have. This might include a tripod, bike, shovel, or dog leash. Try your best and never give up.
  • Stay on your feet. If you fall, you risk getting a tusk in the gut, arms, head or neck.
  • Keep fighting until the pig stops. Often attacks only last a minute.
  • Get first aid immediately. Not only do you need to prevent blood loss, but pigs carry a lot of harmful bacteria in their mouths that could cause serious problems if untreated.
1653559566381.jpeg

Well by that definition an AR-15 is not an assault weapon. It can be and is used for hunting.

***snip***

What states can you not hunt with an AR?​

States that don’t allow hunting with an AR-15

• California.
  • Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
  • New Jersey.
  • New York.

Here is an interesting article on the AR-15 from CNN.

***snip***

Owners can remodel the guns themselves, or they can construct one from scratch with their favorite features.

“It’s everything you want,” said Bartocci, the “Black Rifle II” author. “You want a hunting rifle? It does it. You want a target rifle? It does it. You want a law-enforcement rifle? It does it.”

The AR-15 is now the most popular sporting rifle in the U.S. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 style rifles accounted for an estimated 61 percent of all US civilian rifle sales in 2016. The National Rifle Association reports that Americans own more than 15 million AR-15s today.

As more AR-15 style rifles entered the market, the competition caused the price to drop. During the ban, Weeks said an AR-15 could have cost well over $1,000. But an AR-15 from his store costs as little as $400 today.

Handguns are definitely used for hunting. Obviously you don’t normally use a snub nosed revolver for hunting but a long barreled .357 magnum handgun and up work well.

I live in Florida and when hunting season starts you see a number of hunters come out to the pistol range to sight in their revolvers. .44 Magnum revolvers are quite popular for hunting. I remember one hunter who had a Freedom Arms .454 Causal revolver and was amazingly accurate with it at 50 yards.

I have had hog hunters tell me that they often carry a .44 mag revolver. When a hog charges the hunter often drops his rifle or shotgun and climbs a tree. It can be helpful to have a revolver to shoot the hog so you can climb back down.

***snip***

HOW TO SURVIVE AN ATTACK BY A WILD HOG?
Playing dead in a pig attack is a bad approach, mainly because the pig now has access to goring your stomach – which is bad. So, here are a few tried and true methods that have worked for survivors of pig attacks.

• First, if you see a pig approaching from a distance, run away. Keep in mind that they’re fast, so this won’t work if they’re already very close.
  • If they continue approaching you, try to get up a tree. They can’t climb, so 6’ up and you’re probably safe.
  • If there are no trees around, stand your ground and prepare to fight the pig. If you don’t have a gun, knife or spear, use anything you have. This might include a tripod, bike, shovel, or dog leash. Try your best and never give up.
  • Stay on your feet. If you fall, you risk getting a tusk in the gut, arms, head or neck.
  • Keep fighting until the pig stops. Often attacks only last a minute.
  • Get first aid immediately. Not only do you need to prevent blood loss, but pigs carry a lot of harmful bacteria in their mouths that could cause serious problems if untreated.
View attachment 649861
How about South Carolina? I went to a house party on an old rice plantation to hunt feral hogs and nobody was using automatic weapons.

There were rapid fire weapons in the 1700s. The Founders who wrote the Second Amendment would have had no problem realizing that semi-automatic firearms would soon be available to civilians. Similar to today when it seems obvious that in a couple of decades most people will be driving electric vehicles.

Thanks for posting that vid about the airgun!

Who knew?

How about South Carolina? I went to a house party on an old rice plantation to hunt feral hogs and nobody was using automatic weapons.
Some hunters who eat the feral hogs use bolt action rifles in Florida. They are tasty if prepared right. I used to live in one of the poorer counties in Florida so many people would hunt feral hog to provide their families with meat. These hunters were not interested in eliminating the entire herd.

Sometimes a herd of feral pigs will tear up yards or farm land. People then hunt the herd or hire professionals to eliminate the problem. The object is to eliminate the entire herd so a rapid firing semi-auto can help as the herd tends to run after the first shot.

Here are pictures of the damage a herd of hogs can do to yards or farm land.

1653565886283.jpeg

1653565982127.jpeg

1653567255165.jpeg

1653567305860.jpeg

You know if semi-automatic weapons existed in the 1700’s and there was an insane amount of guns on the market at the time and in the possession of millions of people, the 2nd amendment would be written very differently. There would be a lot more restrictions. Instead the amendment was incredibly vague because all that existed at the time were muskets that took a large chunk of time to reload after firing a single shot.

Please note that I did not suggest guns would have been outlawed or banned. I’m not even suggesting that they should be now so don’t go full retard and claim that was the intent of my post.
Nice speculation but completely meaningless

Some hunters who eat the feral hogs use bolt action rifles in Florida. They are tasty if prepared right. I used to live in one of the poorer counties in Florida so many people would hunt feral hog to provide their families with meat. These hunters were not interested in eliminating the entire herd.

Sometimes a herd of feral pigs will tear up yards or farm land. People then hunt the herd or hire professionals to eliminate the problem. The object is to eliminate the entire herd so a rapid firing semi-auto can help as the herd tends to run after the first shot.

Here are pictures of the damage a herd of hogs can do to yards or farm land.

View attachment 649892

View attachment 649893
View attachment 649903
View attachment 649904
On that hunt the guys killed 5. There might be hundreds on that 3000 acres. It's very dangerous.. at least to me. We did eat one. The rest went into freezers. It was quite good.. marinated and then shish kabob.

On that hunt the guys killed 5. There might be hundreds on that 3000 acres. It's very dangerous.. at least to me. We did eat one. The rest went into freezers. It was quite good.. marinated and then shish kabob.
I have never hunted feral pigs. I do know a couple people who said a hog put them up a tree. One was a co-worker who when a teenager was out hunting squirrel with a .22 rifle and decided to shoot a feral hog. Another co-worker who was treed by a hog had a .44 magnum revolver he shot the hog with. Both said they dropped their rifles to climb the tree.

Once again Biden has nominated a white cisgender male, whose pronouns are "he," "his," and "him," for head of the ATF. This nominee also has this in common with the previous failed nominee: he claims not to know what an assault is, though he has promoted that they be banned.

So, what say you, folks on the left?

What is an assault weapon?

2:18:30

I don't get it. How do you nominate a candidate hoping that they will go after assault weapons and then pick one who doesn't know what an assault weapon is? I guess the same way you nominate a candidate hoping she will staunchly defend women's rights, but she doesn't know what a woman is.

There is no such thing. That is a made up term used for fear mongering. I know.

Another co-worker who was treed by a hog had a .44 magnum revolver he shot the hog with. Both said they dropped their rifles to climb the
Great story dude. So rifles are worthless huh?

There is no such thing. That is a made up term used for fear mongering. I know.

There is a meaning to the term "assault weapon", but it is a wide description of how many different types of weapons can be used. For example, the curved saber used by horse cavalry is really an assault weapon.
Anything for close in, fast fighting, is an assault weapon.

Yeah I could deer hunt with a BAR
No kidding, but you failed miserably.

One can hunt deer with an AR15, or target practice with it.

There are millions in circulation. They are not used for killing people.

So, you are clearly incorrect.

I could deer hunt with a BAR also.

Forum List

Back