What is the point in having nuclear weapons if you don't use them?

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
This seems like a reasonable question to me. After all we've spent yuuuuge amounts of dollars making them. And the Russians have BETTER ones. If we used some of ours, we'd need to make newer ones, much much much better ones ... the best ever ... Putin will cry when he sees our new nukes ... and we'll make they with American workers.

I wish I could post this on the sarcasm board, but it appears real.

This seems like a reasonable question to me. After all we've spent yuuuuge amounts of dollars making them. And the Russians have BETTER ones. If we used some of ours, we'd need to make newer ones, much much much better ones ... the best ever ... Putin will cry when he sees our new nukes ... and we'll make they with American workers.

I wish I could post this on the sarcasm board, but it appears real.
For the same reason our nerve chemical agents were never used in WW2. Both sides had them and that insured that no one would use them.

WMDs tend to be used by nations that have a monopoly on them, not a balance. We just went through decades of Cold War with the Soviets and neither side used nukes on the other.

This was not an accident; the Russians love their children too.

The other side doesn't even need to have them. It discourages people from ever invading your homeland if you can destroy theirs in a matter of one hour.

The other side doesn't even need to have them. It discourages people from ever invading your homeland if you can destroy theirs in a matter of one hour.
So where would you nuke ISIS, genius? How would that deter them from attacking us?

Doesnt seem to have done any good.

What is the point if no one plans on using them? It is kind of a strange thing that is going on. How many chemical and biological weapons do we have? It isn't a lot and we don't make them BECAUSE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DON'T PLAN ON USING THEM. It just makes me thing that we make them to use them no matter what other people say.

Dad had a 2 1/2" wide horsehair razor strop hanging on the war of his workshop, to remind us of the punishment he would delve out should we 'err'.

Never used it, but the threat was there

What is the point if no one plans on using them? It is kind of a strange thing that is going on. How many chemical and biological weapons do we have? It isn't a lot and we don't make them BECAUSE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DON'T PLAN ON USING THEM. It just makes me thing that we make them to use them no matter what other people say.

If Iran had nukes and went to war with Israel and Israel didn't have them do you think Iran would hesitate? Israel does have them and if push comes to shove Israel will use them. It keeps countries honest knowing you lob one off you're going to get one lobbed back

Why did Daniel Larusso study karate under the great Mr. Miyagi? So he wouldn't have to use it.

Same principle here

Last edited:
What is the point in having nuclear weapons if you don't use them?

It's called 'deterrence'. The problem is that Islamic Extremism has produced nut job terrorists who just don't give a F* anymore. Deterrence doesn't work on them.

If Iran had nukes and went to war with Israel and Israel didn't have them do you think Iran would hesitate? Israel does have them and if push comes to shove Israel will use them. It keeps countries honest knowing you lob one off you're going to get one lobbed back

Actually, Rafsangani laid out the Iranian rationale for nuking Israel over 10 years ago. From the position of the Mullahs, they do not represent a nation state, but the entire Ummah, and so they seek nukes to destroy Israel knowing full-well that Israel would retaliate against Iran. He said any response would cause "damages only" to the Ummah, and so would be worth the price.

Actually, Rafsangani laid out the Iranian rationale for nuking Israel over 10 years ago. From the position of the Mullahs, they do not represent a nation state, but the entire Ummah, and so they seek nukes to destroy Israel knowing full-well that Israel would retaliate against Iran. He said any response would cause "damages only" to the Ummah, and so would be worth the price.

Point one at Mecca....that'll give them pause

How come we never have the same discussion about biological weapons? I totally agree that we have them just in case the other side decides to use them but we seem to trust that no one is going to use them at all because it never comes up in a discussion. Nukes! We talk about the potential to use those all the time but we don't talk about the potential to use biological weapons.

How come we never have the same discussion about biological weapons? I totally agree that we have them just in case the other side decides to use them but we seem to trust that no one is going to use them at all because it never comes up in a discussion. Nukes! We talk about the potential to use those all the time but we don't talk about the potential to use biological weapons.

Saddam used them...what happened to him? But I get your point

Forum List

Back