What is Truth?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
An overview of the philosophy of truth.

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.
—Thoreau

Truth tends to lead to successful action. In that much, truth has instrumental value. But truth also has intrinsic value. Given the choice between a life of limitless pleasure as a brain in a vat and a genuine human life along with all its pain and suffering, most people opt for the latter.

In Plato’s Cratylus, Socrates says that aletheia (Greek, ‘truth’) is a compression of the phrase ‘a wandering that is divine’. Since Plato, many thinkers have spoken of truth and God in the same breath, and truth has also been linked with things like justice, power, and freedom. According to John the Apostle, Jesus said to the Jews: “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

When Truth Isn't Truth

What Is Truth?

• Banned
image.jpeg

• Banned
For example:

- Today, God may be dying, but what about truth? Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, claimed that “Truth isn’t truth," while Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s counsellor, presented the public with what she called “alternative facts." Over in the U.K. in the run-up to the Brexit referendum, Michael Gove, then Minister of Justice and Lord Chancellor, opined that people "have had enough of experts."

One way to understand truth is simply to look at its opposites, namely, lies and bullsh*t. The liar must track the truth in order to conceal it. In contrast, the bullsh*tter has no regard or sensitivity for the truth, or even for what his or her audience believes.

Since Plato, many thinkers have spoken of truth and God in the same breath, and truth has also been linked with things like justice, power, and freedom.

I'm reminded of a relevant quote by the late Carl Sagan. One that I tend to agree with fully.

''Plato and Aristotle were comfortable in a slave society. They offered justifications for oppression. They served tyrants. They taught the alienation of the body from the mind... They separated thought from matter. They divorced the Earth from the Heavens, divisions which were to dominate Western thinking for more than twenty centuries....''

Last edited:
Quotes
  • The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. ...
  • A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. ...
  • Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.

That would be perception of truth.

Trust you to convolute the matter.
No. Quite the opposite. I am deconvoluting the subject. Truth and perception of truth are two different things.

As if I didn't know?

Like my perception of you?
I don’t know what you know or don’t know. That’s one of the reasons people have conversations; to figure that out. Technically I still don’t know what you believe on this subject. You don’t seem to believe that truth exists independent of perception of truth.

Forum List

Back