🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Michelle Obama just did is actually pretty cool.

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
The First Lady was scheduled to speak at a graduation ceremony, but students and parents complained.

Usually, I would be inclined to think that that is bullshit and disrespectful, but what the media has been declining to say is that this is no ordinary graduation, but rather, FIVE High Schools in Topeka who decided to do a JOINT graduation ceremony, with space already limited.

Some students were upset that her presence would limit their number of guests to 6 per student.

So, Michelle Obama's staff recognized the problem and rescheduled. She is now speaking the day before, on Senior Recognition Day.

Michelle Obama changes Kansas speech date after students protest | Reuters

The way this was handled was pretty darned cool.

And the complaints were not politically motivated. It was a simple logistics problem, which is now solved.

Holder had protests at the Oklahoma police cadet academy so bad he decided not to go.

The public has had a gut full of the lot of them.

• Banned
What's really cool is that people protested against her speaking. Makes me think there is hope for the young after all.

No, they did not protest against her speaking. That is a lie.

They protested because her presence would limit the number of guests they could have, since the graduation ceremony is a joint one with FIVE High Schools involved.

The protests have nothing to do with her speaking. It's only about logistics.

You do understand this simple concept, right?

Last edited:
The First Lady was scheduled to speak at a graduation ceremony, but students and parents complained.

Usually, I would be inclined to think that that is bullshit and disrespectful, but what the media has been declining to say is that this is no ordinary graduation, but rather, FIVE High Schools in Topeka who decided to do a JOINT graduation ceremony, with space already limited.

Some students were upset that her presence would limit their number of guests to 6 per student.

So, Michelle Obama's staff recognized the problem and rescheduled. She is now speaking the day before, on Senior Recognition Day.

And the complaints were not politically motivated. It was a simple logistics problem, which is now solved.

I think she did the right thing and I hope it is recognized for what it was. I also hope neither side uses is as some political fodder.

It was making the graduations a mess, and to be honest a bit unfair, what would they have done? Only picked one commencement speaker for the 1,000 kids, skipping the other 4 schools? Or would everything have been rushed to ensure everyone was recognized?

Good to see it is settled.

CaféAuLait;8988691 said:

I think she did the right thing and I hope it is recognized for what it was. I also hope neither side uses is as some political fodder.

It was making the graduations a mess, and to be honest a bit unfair, what would they have done? Only picked one commencement speaker for the 1,000 kids, skipping the other 4 schools? Or would everything have been rushed to ensure everyone was recognized?

You have an odd way about you. Having the First Lady speak is just fine....for 100 schools. She is going there to speak to all five graduating classes. No other headliner is required. And you hope neither side uses it. How generous of you.

Such a sweet syruppy style of dishing out the stupid. Congrats.

Last edited:

I wonder if she was going to say something like this:

Sometimes it's easier to hold on to your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your ignorance.

(Smirks)

That's America.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1etj68cO7zk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1etj68cO7zk[/ame]

CaféAuLait;8988691 said:

You have an odd way about you. Having the First Lady speak is just fine....for 100 schools. She is going there to speak to all five graduating classes. No other headliner is required. And you hope neither side uses it. How generous of you.

Such a sweet suruppy style of dishing out the stupid. Congrats.

Excuse me?

They were combining 5 graduating classes to make one large graduation of over 1000 students. Graduation dates were changed, as well as who was allowed to speak. Additionally, those family members allowed to attend was lowered, so those with larger family would not be able to attend. It was taking away from the kids.

Not sure why you felt the need to attack, but I guess to each their own, I suppose its much easier than actually addressing the issue at hand.

She's always cool. Without a doubt, our best FLOTUS ever and a perfect match for our prez.

I don't know if she's our best FLOTUS ever, I would think that is hard to measure, and I have pretty much liked ALL of our FLOTUSES, regardless of party.

But I do think that the Obama family is an awesome family. And I see similarities between the Obama family and the Bush (43) family: both Presidents are excellent fathers, faithful husbands and real family men. Both FLOTUSES are class acts (I also liked Laura Bush very, very much) and both families have 2 daughters who are lovely and intelligent.

2 nuclear First Families in a row. That is kind of neat, I think.

CaféAuLait;8988807 said:
CaféAuLait;8988691 said:

Excuse me?

They were combining 5 graduating classes to make one large graduation of over 1000 students. Graduation dates were changed, as well as who was allowed to speak. Additionally, those family members allowed to attend was lowered, so those with larger family would not be able to attend. It was taking away from the kids.

Not sure why you felt the need to attack, but I guess to each their own, I suppose its much easier than actually addressing the issue at hand.

Not an attack. You are a passive aggressive person. Just pointing that out. Having the First Lady speak at a high school comencement ceremony is not in any way taking away from the kids. Six tickets is plenty.

Sometimes people go out of their way to accommodate the squeaky wheel. This is one of those cases.

CaféAuLait;8988807 said:

Excuse me?

Not an attack. You are a passive aggressive person. Just pointing that out. Having the First Lady speak at a high school comencement ceremony is not in any way taking away from the kids. Six tickets is plenty.

Sometimes people go out of their way to accommodate the squeaky wheel. This is one of those cases.

It was an attack, at least own up to what you wrote above:

Such a sweet suruppy style of dishing out the stupid. Congrats

It is taking away from the kids. They cancelled all of their graduations and decided to have one huge graduation of over 1,000 kids, changing the date of all of the scheduled graduations. Their ceremony will not be the same, the number of family invited changed as well, along with the students who were to speak at their OWN graduation.

So, yeah, no matter how much you deny it, it would have hurt them and their families. They have just one graduation, this one would have been full of ridiculous rules and hard security where the kids would not feel relaxed as well.

My saying that "neither sides uses this" as a negative against Mrs. Obama in regards to her cancellation meant, it would be great to see both parties not tear each other down all the time or use it for political gain.

We don't always have to have partisanship, we can agree and try to make it so we work together, just as happened with Mrs. Obama, she worked together with the schools to assure the best outcome. IOW, just see it for what it was, instead of assigning any negative value to it.

Last edited:
Darn I thought she had resigned as first lady. That would be the coolest thing that fat ass has ever done.

I heard on the news she wasn't going to speak at the schools because so many parents protested. let's get our stories correct.

What's really cool is that people protested against her speaking. Makes me think there is hope for the young after all.

No, they did not protest against her speaking. That is a lie.

They protested because her presence would limit the number of guests they could have, since the graduation ceremony is a joint one with FIVE High Schools involved.

The protests have nothing to do with her speaking. It's only about logistics.

You do understand this simple concept, right?

That's not 100% accurate.

It's true that logistics was a factor...but another reason the visit was objected to was the speech was to focus on Brown v. Board of Education, not the students graduation achievement. Many parents feared Michele Obama's speech would overshadow the celebration and honor of graduation that they and their children had worked so diligently to attain.

Last edited:
If they were dems and she was repub she wouldn't have been allowed regardless of which event or what her message would be. If they would be forced to allow her then they would shout her down. That's how lefties roll. Like good speech-stifling nazis.

who want's their political bs at graduation

a shame this will now be all about her..they don't care though she barges in anyway

this is what the Obama's think is appropriate for a graduation speech...make it about government

Obama urges graduates not to fear government

Delivers message of optimism as economy ralles

By Jackie Calmes | New York Times May 06, 2013

“Yours has become a generation possessed with that most American of ideas — that people who love their country can change it for the better,” President Obama said.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Acknowledging that commencement addresses are no place for partisanship, President Obama nonetheless hovered close to that political line on Sunday, telling graduates at Ohio State University to ignore antigovernment movements that ‘‘gum up the works.’’

Instead, he said, they should aspire to be citizens who are engaged in their government and who value both individual rights and community responsibilities.

‘‘Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems,’’ Obama told the crowd at the Ohio State commencement ceremony, which totaled almost 60,000 people. ‘‘They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices.’’

Obama tells graduates to reject cynical views of government - Politics - The Boston Globe

Forum List

Back