What People In South Carolina Think About Confederate Flag Debate

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
People asked in South Carolina what the Confederate flag means to them. Some say it's about southern history and heritage, while others believe it's about slavery and racism.

There are 2 types of people that carry the flag, I think

1. Racists

2. Those that want to preserve the history of the nation and the state.

I had Confederate flag as an avatar. But not as a manifestation of the desire to have slaves.
Intelligent people understand you REMEMBER HISTORY good and bad...Because all that is bad is not totally bad, and all that is Good is not totally good

Most folks in SC now are not native to the state, many are foreigners.

As a native...let me tell you honestly what most SC residents think....

ITS ALMOST FOOTBALL SEASON AND WE DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE!!!!

Around the smoking area at work, everyone thinks the rest of America is making a big deal about nothing, even the blacks.

I am sure that in your white sheet factory, folks think that, bear.

People asked in South Carolina what the Confederate flag means to them. Some say it's about southern history and heritage, while others believe it's about slavery and racism.

There are 2 types of people that carry the flag, I think

1. Racists

2. Those that want to preserve the history of the nation and the state.

I had Confederate flag as an avatar. But not as a manifestation of the desire to have slaves.
Intelligent people understand you REMEMBER HISTORY good and bad...Because all that is bad is not totally bad, and all that is Good is not totally good

Unfortunately those who saw the confederate flag as history failed to call out and condemn the racists who were using it for their white supremacist agenda.

By not calling them out the historians were tacitly condoning the racists.

This is why the historians are now going to have to accept that their flag belongs in a museum or on their bumper and not flying on government buildings and monuments any longer.

There is a price to be paid for silence in the face of bigotry and racism.

Only five percent of current Americans are descended from people who owned slaves. Only twelve percent of Americans are descended from people who WERE slaves.

Our Beloved President is NOT descended from slaves, but pretends to be for political reasons. Worked out well for him, eh?

While there are a few things to celebrate about the people who fought for the CSA (bravery, leadership, etc), the main cause they were fighting for was evil. You can talk all you want about "states rights" (and I would agree with you), but the main reason for the rebellion and the attempt to secede was protection of slavery, as an institution within "states in rebellion."

The prominent public display of the Confederate battle flag is something that is a relatively recent phenomenon, dating from the days in the 50's and 60's when the Federal government was attempting to force "integration" on an unwilling South. It is mainly nothing to be proud of, unless you are proud of being a bigot.

Let it go, people. Let it go.

As a native...let me tell you honestly what most SC residents think....

ITS ALMOST FOOTBALL SEASON AND WE DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE!!!!

Maybe one day you guys can win something.

Haha..well...in state school Clemson has a national championship and multiple ACC titles. USC won 42 games in 4 years from 10-13 before last years slip. We play pretty good football here.

And I GUARANTEE if you told SC residents USC could win the SEC and national championship in football....but they had to burn rebel flags first....they'd create the worlds largest bonfire and torch em.

I just watched an segment on today's Washington Journal. The guest speaker is a history professor who talked about the flag's Civil War and post Civil War history. Several folks called in with comments and questions. Interesting discussion.

Civil War History and the Confederate Flag
Author Gary Gallagher talked about the causes of the Civil War and how memory of that conflict is shaping the debate over displays of the Confederate battle flag.

VIDEO:
Washington Journal Gary Gallagher Civil War Video C-SPAN.org

Forum List

Back