Debate Now What should be the goal of our prison system?

What say you?

• Reformation

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Hard time

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
We have more criminals than any place on earth
You cut the prisons and this nation is unlivable

For every drug addict in a treatment facility, more than TEN drug addicts are in prison. People with severe mental and emotional problems are in prisons. You cannot punish mental disease and drug addiction out of a person.

For every drug addict in a treatment facility, more than TEN drug addicts are in prison. People with severe mental and emotional problems are in prisons. You cannot punish mental disease and drug addiction out of a person.

I may agree on drug addicts but not drug dealers

USA needs far more prisons than ever before

Actually, we need to cut the number of prisons in half. We already have more people in prison than nation on this planet. China has four times the population and we have more people in prison than communist China! If you're going to participate in this, you really should read the thread so we don't have to end up beating a dead horse.

That not really true compared to Europe the US has major prison population problem but compared to the world many other countries that have a very high prison population are close to the US level.

world-map-country-with-largest-prison-population-700x676.jpg

When you look at the map it all comes down to poverty. The countries that have more poverty are worse.

You you cannot really look at China because it is communist country.

Actually, we need to cut the number of prisons in half. We already have more people in prison than nation on this planet. China has four times the population and we have more people in prison than communist China! If you're going to participate in this, you really should read the thread so we don't have to end up beating a dead horse.

That not really true compared to Europe the US has major prison population problem but compared to the world many other countries that have a very high prison population are close to the US level.

When you look at the map it all comes down to poverty. The countries that have more poverty are worse.

And even that, is really reversing the causal link.

Crime.... causes.... poverty. People that engage in crime, get fired from their jobs. Don't advance up the economic ladder. End up going to prison, have criminal records, which makes it even more difficult for them to climb the economy ladder.

The implication here is that if we can just eliminate poverty, that crime will go away. That is absolutely false.

You need to eliminate crime, and then poverty will go away.

When people stop engaging in crime, and instead start working for what they want, they'll naturally progress up the economic ladder.

So locking people up, and enforcing the law... and teaching right and wrong in the public, that there is no excuse for crime.... that is how you end up with people becoming wealthy. Because they'll start working lawfully for what they want.

The problem is morals, and a lack of law enforcement. We need to double the size of our police force, and start coming down hard on crime.

Then poverty will decline.

Additionally, we need to stop encouraging unwed mothers, and stop subsidizing the breakup of the family. That also has a direct clear impact on crime, which has a direct impact on poverty.

Those are the solutions. Family values, and enforcing the law.

It appears the OP abandoned their thread. Just for the record, however, when dealing with adult offenders, the goals of the prison should be:

1) Punish the offender

2) Rehabilitate them

3) Make them earn any early release (like get a GED, job training skills, interpersonal skills, drug rehab, etc. while incarcerated)

4) Help them transition back into society (work / probation program)

5) They pay restitution

6) Return to society as equals (not labeled for the rest of their lives and locked out of society AND be expected to be a productive citizen
#6 On your list is a near guarantee that once a person has been put into the system; they'll be in, and out of it forever more.

Well how? jobs are not going to hire some one that got out of prison and if you a felon you are really going to have a problem.

What are you going to do pass a law no criminal check when getting a job.

Are you going to allow a felon to be Police officer, military, FBI, firefighter, EMT, doctor or nurse?

So as you all know I speak from a bit of experience but I see what I consider crazy posts on the subject all the time.

For those that don't know I was sentenced to 5 to 15 at the age of 16. I was all about ME and as a result all the group homes and foster homes couldn't save me. So let's get to the point...

There seem to be two different mindsets to felons and imo BOTH are wrong. Some say "throw away the key's " while others say "no bail"

Well i can speak somewhat to the no bail position. My grandmother bailed me out time after time and all it achieved what to deepen my boldness because i considered myself untouchable. She wasn't a bad woman, she just blindly loved me. Basically she played the role of a bleeding heart liberal with their no bail bullshit.
The flipside to that is the people that think simply locking people up and forgetting about them solves the problem.

Recividisom is a major problem in the prison population. You lock a man up and hold him in a hole for years. Then suddenly he gets his freedom and just like before he went in he has no tools to cope with society. He's kicked into a halfway house for 30 days and then suddenly, after years of being treated like a dog in a kennel, is expected to function in society. No one will hire him except the people who want the tax credits available to them. Those same employers abuse the employees under the threat of "reporting them"

Imo every convict that isn't convicted of violent crimes should be offered basic educational classes and should be REQUIRED to finish a trade school vocation before being eligible for release.
When I was in prison vocational education was an option and not required. I took it to get the fuck out of my cell and that was the only reason. That vocation that i used for a sense of freedom is likely the only reason i am free today.

We have to "arm" convicts with the skills to succeed. Or we can simply lock them up and hope to God they dont become our or our children's neighbors when they get out.

/blog

My first attempt at a not troll debate in this forum.
I read that I'm supposed to make three rules but I have no idea what that means?
No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Yeah, I like those three rules.....GO!
Good post.

The goal should be to equip these people with the tools they need to function in society.

Our prison system currently is not equipped to do that.

Sadly I don't know the whoops answer.

Education should certainly be a part, not just "readin' writin' and 'rithmatic" but social education and coping skills as well. A trade is a necessity as well. They also could use job placement and a support network.

Obviously all.of them can't be rehabilitated. Serial killers shouldn't be released for instance.

My ¢.02.
I worked in a prison, you are a liar. The convicts have every opportunity to turn it around.

Personally, after three felonies you should never get out of prison. After one violent felony you should either be put to death or never get out of prison.

Crime.... causes.... poverty. People that engage in crime, get fired from their jobs. Don't advance up the economic ladder. End up going to prison, have criminal records, which makes it even more difficult for them to climb the economy ladder.

The implication here is that if we can just eliminate poverty, that crime will go away. That is absolutely false.

When people stop engaging in crime, and instead start working for what they want, they'll naturally progress up the economic ladder.

So locking people up, and enforcing the law... and teaching right and wrong in the public, that there is no excuse for crime.... that is how you end up with people becoming wealthy. Because they'll start working lawfully for what they want.

The problem is morals, and a lack of law enforcement. We need to double the size of our police force, and start coming down hard on crime.

Additionally, we need to stop encouraging unwed mothers, and stop subsidizing the breakup of the family. That also has a direct clear impact on crime, which has a direct impact on poverty.

what they need to do is send them to a military school that teaches education and rehab them than give them a TV and gym to workout in prison to get big and strong.

If you don’t get high school you are going to get low paying job getting less than 10 dollars flipping burgers, working at car wash ,taking out the trash, being house cleaner or working at dishwasher in fast food or restaurant.

You well lack of education and good paying job and you will be doing crime to support your self.

Personally, after three felonies you should never get out of prison. After one violent felony you should either be put to death or never get out of prison.

For things like shootings and stabbing be if person lives or dies yes.

And people that do violence over and over yes. If some one beat up your friend and he got well sent to the hospital and he gone to jail and got release and beat up his girlfriend and gone to jail than got released and got into other fight and gone to jail than at that point long him up for life.

Three violent offence and you in for life.

If you look at the stats of the US prison population and jails you will see very small amount of people are in for things like theft, fraud, shoplifting, car theft, DUI and drugs.

Most are in prison and jails are in for violent offences. So there not much room to lower the prison population numbers sadly.

prison2019-1024x768.jpg

what they need to do is send them to a military school that teaches education and rehab them than give them a TV and gym to workout in prison to get big and strong.

If you don’t get high school you are going to get low paying job getting less than 10 dollars flipping burgers, working at car wash ,taking out the trash, being house cleaner or working at dishwasher in fast food or restaurant.

You well lack of education and good paying job and you will be doing crime to support your self.

That's not true. I know people who worked those jobs, without education, and didn't need to do crime to support themselves.

ME... for example.

I have no education. I have no training. No skills. No nothing.

I have worked flipping burgers, working a car wash, taking out trash, and so on.

Never once did I think.... oh I need to engage in crime to support myself!

By the way, cleaning houses is not a low pay job. What the heck are you talking about? You realize that house cleaners of any decent reputation, make almost $50/hour? How much they make a year, only is dependent on how many houses they are willing to do a day.

Now it takes work. You got to work at it. But you clean 3 houses a day, putting in 2 to 3 hours at each house, that's $200, to $400 per day. You do that 5 days a week, that's $2,000 a week, or $100,000 a year.

Ask me how I know that? I know two women that do that. There is only one reason they don't make $100,000 a year, and it simply because.... they don't want to. They would rather do fewer houses, and have time with their family.

But that actually illustrates my point. Anyone in this country, even ex-convicts, can be wealthy. It's a matter of choice. If you go and clean houses, you can make good money.

The problem isn't this mythology that people can't earn enough and thus.... magically... they just simply have no choice but to commit crime! .... No. The problem is, people don't want to work.

It's that simple. They commit crime, because they simply have no morals and think they are "entitled" to what they want in life. That is it. All that "they have no choice!" crap is made up left-wing nonsense.

That's not true. I know people who worked those jobs, without education, and didn't need to do crime to support themselves.

ME... for example.

I have worked flipping burgers, working a car wash, taking out trash, and so on.

By the way, cleaning houses is not a low pay job. What the heck are you talking about? You realize that house cleaners of any decent reputation, make almost $50/hour? How much they make a year, only is dependent on how many houses they are willing to do a day.

Now it takes work. You got to work at it. But you clean 3 houses a day, putting in 2 to 3 hours at each house, that's $200, to $400 per day. You do that 5 days a week, that's $2,000 a week, or $100,000 a year.

Ask me how I know that? I know two women that do that. There is only one reason they don't make $100,000 a year, and it simply because.... they don't want to. They would rather do fewer houses, and have time with their family.

But that actually illustrates my point. Anyone in this country, even ex-convicts, can be wealthy. It's a matter of choice. If you go and clean houses, you can make good money.

The problem isn't this mythology that people can't earn enough and thus.... magically... they just simply have no choice but to commit crime! .... No. The problem is, people don't want to work.

It's that simple. They commit crime, because they simply have no morals and think they are "entitled" to what they want in life. That is it. All that "they have no choice!" crap is made up left-wing nonsense.

Than why is all the crime in Africa and Middle East? Why so much crime among blacks and Hispanic?

May be all those white people should kick all those 20s, 30s and 40s out on the street today and see how well they do.

Why can’t homeless people and people in poverty move in with families like the people in Japan, China and India. Yea because their is no family among people no family to help other family all greed and individualism today.

Look at white people in past and white people today?

Than pass a law you turn age 18 you leave your parents home and that see how well the white people leaching of their parents do.

I’m a proponent of a dual- punishment system...

Life without Parole for all non-violent, non-alcohol/drug, and non/sexual crimes.

Execution after a single appeal for all Felonies and violent/drug/sexual misdemeanors.

So as you all know I speak from a bit of experience but I see what I consider crazy posts on the subject all the time.

For those that don't know I was sentenced to 5 to 15 at the age of 16. I was all about ME and as a result all the group homes and foster homes couldn't save me. So let's get to the point...

There seem to be two different mindsets to felons and imo BOTH are wrong. Some say "throw away the key's " while others say "no bail"

Well i can speak somewhat to the no bail position. My grandmother bailed me out time after time and all it achieved what to deepen my boldness because i considered myself untouchable. She wasn't a bad woman, she just blindly loved me. Basically she played the role of a bleeding heart liberal with their no bail bullshit.
The flipside to that is the people that think simply locking people up and forgetting about them solves the problem.

Recividisom is a major problem in the prison population. You lock a man up and hold him in a hole for years. Then suddenly he gets his freedom and just like before he went in he has no tools to cope with society. He's kicked into a halfway house for 30 days and then suddenly, after years of being treated like a dog in a kennel, is expected to function in society. No one will hire him except the people who want the tax credits available to them. Those same employers abuse the employees under the threat of "reporting them"

Imo every convict that isn't convicted of violent crimes should be offered basic educational classes and should be REQUIRED to finish a trade school vocation before being eligible for release.
When I was in prison vocational education was an option and not required. I took it to get the fuck out of my cell and that was the only reason. That vocation that i used for a sense of freedom is likely the only reason i am free today.

We have to "arm" convicts with the skills to succeed. Or we can simply lock them up and hope to God they dont become our or our children's neighbors when they get out.

/blog

I read that I'm supposed to make three rules but I have no idea what that means?
No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Punishment is a MUST. But yes require the criminals that are not in for life to complete a vocational program and if not done already High School.

ME... for example.

Other thing you cannot buy house with high school education and if you have high school education you are going to have a life of poverty. And now even collages education is no guarantee in today’s world.

The elites who run the government want free education for all so they can flood the market with people to lower the wages.It is plan among the elite to bring all wages down to level of dishwasher and fast food place.

As of now wages are base on supply and demand of availability of workers wanting the job. They want to flood the system to bring wages down that why push for free collage.

It will not be long before not even teacher and nurse will be able to buy a home any where in the US. In the end by year 2050 only the upper class will be able to buy home. Yes everyone will be paying rent by that time I see the writing on the wall now.

You are cool. Agree with you 100%. Incarceration should be designed to break cycles of thinking and in extension behavior. Prison by itself is not the problem, our implementation of it is. For some inmates education, training and some form of counseling seem prudent. How do you read someone’s heart though? Some folks just have a “criminal mentality” and none of us can change until we are ready and want it enough to make sure it happens. How do we know when someone is ready to help themselves as opposed to working the system to get back at what landed them in custody in the first place?

ME... for example.

What motivates individuals is as varied as our worlds population. I have gone into my county jail for the past few years to help inmates earn their GEDs. Some go after it like they are starving and the books in front of them are hamburgers. Others are just looking for an excuse to get out of their block. Some can’t wait to get on with their life, find a job and work hard. Others get released and are back within 6 months. The only difference is that some are mature enough to say, I do not lIke my situation and will do whatever it takes to change (note they take responsibility). Others say exactly what they think the “authority” wants to hear and as soon as they are out and the door to the jail closes with them on the other side...they are in the wind. What accounts for this difference? The best answer I’ve ever heard is that you have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.
And you know what, most of the the students that have succeeded were waiting trial for violent crimes ranging from murder to rape to human trafficking. You know who does consistently poorly? Guys who are serving 6 months for a DWI/not having the money or wisdom to hire a decent lawyer.
So what’s the answer? I help who is in front of me and hope they can make this the first step of positive change. I make no judgements because I have no idea what their history or specific circumstances are and I hope that if I ever found myself at the bottom of the barrel, someone would extend a hand to help me help myself.

/blog

No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Punishment is a MUST. But yes require the criminals that are not in for life to complete a vocational program and if not done already High School.

Well some jails and prison do help inmates get their GED or high school diploma but sadly in today’s world that GED or high school diploma does not mean much by today’s standard. And than there some people that just don’t know how to get job that some thing the probation offficer or welfare officer should help.

And with all the factories closing in the US and going to China and India it does not help and to make worse among the cities experience massive population growth that price homes are going up that not even middle class can buy today.

/blog

No insults
No partisan bs
Tell me I'm cool

Good post.

The goal should be to equip these people with the tools they need to function in society.

Our prison system currently is not equipped to do that.

Sadly I don't know the whoops answer.

Education should certainly be a part, not just "readin' writin' and 'rithmatic" but social education and coping skills as well. A trade is a necessity as well. They also could use job placement and a support network.

Obviously all.of them can't be rehabilitated. Serial killers shouldn't be released for instance.

My ¢.02.
I worked in a prison, you are a liar. The convicts have every opportunity to turn it around.
I left out "better quality employees".

My bad.

Forum List

Back