What should the end goal of our gun policy be?

What do you think should be the appropriate end goal of our gun laws?

• None: Guns should be banned

• Minimal: Just in your home and use on your property and gun ranges never in public

• Limited: Above and you can carry them but only in the open where they are expressly allowe

• Regulated: Above and concealed, but only after government checks you out and approves you

• Unlimited as long as your Constitutional rights have not been limited by due process of law

Results are only viewable after voting.

kaz

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2010
Kazmania
For those who don't find an exact match, just pick the closest one. It's impossible to cover every possible choice in a poll like this.

Note this is a goal question, not a question what the policies are to get there.

I chose unlimited but I really don't mind a background check. But that's about it.

I have proposed a solution here a few times. Instead of registering guns and limiting magazine sizes and whatnot, we should register gun buyers.

If you apply to be a gun buyer, and pass a mental health and criminal background check, your name goes on a list. Sort of like those people who can now get pre-screened before flying.

If you wish to purchase a firearm, the retailer simply looks to see if your name is on the approved gun buyer list. If it is, you can buy as many guns and any size magazines you wish, and no record is kept of what you bought.

If you are a certified nutjob, your name does not get on the list and you cannot buy a gun.

If you are on the list, and then get convicted of whatever crime the people of your state decide warrants your removal from the list, then you are taken off the list.

If you are on the registered gun buyer list, it does not necessarily mean you have bought a gun. Nor does it indicate how many guns you own. Nor does it indicate how much ammo or magazines you own. It just indicates you are an upstanding citizen whose Second Amendment rights shall not be infringed or taken away without due process.

I couldn't pick. It should be up to the individual except under compelling circumstances. Some would be a violent criminal background. Too young. The weapon isn't defensive, like rocket launchers. Documented mental illness and/or substance abuse problems.

If you wish to purchase a firearm, the retailer simply looks to see if your name is on the approved gun buyer list. If it is, you can buy as many guns and any size magazines you wish, and no record is kept of what you bought.
There's nothing simple about it. We don't have to prove our innocence in this country to exercise a right. Any list can be whittled down to nothing, it's the first step in confiscation.

I have proposed a solution here a few times. Instead of registering guns and limiting magazine sizes and whatnot, we should register gun buyers.

If you apply to be a gun buyer, and pass a mental health and criminal background check, your name goes on a list. Sort of like those people who can now get pre-screened before flying.

If you are a certified nutjob, your name does not get on the list and you cannot buy a gun.

If you are on the list, and then get convicted of whatever crime the people of your state decide warrants your removal from the list, then you are taken off the list.

If you are on the registered gun buyer list, it does not necessarily mean you have bought a gun. Nor does it indicate how many guns you own. Nor does it indicate how much ammo or magazines you own. It just indicates you are an upstanding citizen whose Second Amendment rights shall not be infringed or taken away without due process.
What does your mental health test look like?

OPINION: Paul Ryan blames mass shootings on mental health laws

NRA-ILA | 63% of Americans Blame Mental Health—Not Guns—for Mass Shootings

None of the above. None are really relevant.

I've been saying since I got to this site, on this very issue at the time, that the issue of firearm violence is not legislative but cultural. We are a culture that worships violence like an idol. Until that changes it's not going to matter what laws do or don't do.

Politicians who either crow about more gun regulations or crow about Second Amendment rights, are doing nothing more than pandering for votes. Neither amounts to a proverbial hill of beans as regards the issue. Both are directly avoiding it.

Isn't that a variation of "regulated?"

I've been saying since I got to this site, on this very issue at the time, that the issue of firearm violence is not legislative but cultural. We are a culture that worships violence like an idol. Until that changes it's not going to matter what laws do or don't do.

Politicians who either crow about more gun regulations or crow about Second Amendment rights, are doing nothing more than pandering for votes. Neither amounts to a proverbial hill of beans as regards the issue. Both are directly avoiding it.

Yes, you have mentioned your view that if we make guns uncool criminals and gangstas will lose interest in them. We haven't gotten a plan to accomplish that yet from you ...

Yes, you have mentioned your view that if we make guns uncool criminals and gangstas will lose interest in them. We haven't gotten a plan to accomplish that yet from you ...

Actually you have, but you like to go :lalala: during that part.

The point stands; firearm regs are irrelevant against a cultural icon. It's like going out on a boat and pretending your propeller will change the ocean current. It won't. Waste of time.

I couldn't pick. It should be up to the individual except under compelling circumstances. Some would be a violent criminal background. Too young. The weapon isn't defensive, like rocket launchers. Documented mental illness and/or substance abuse problems.

Isn't that "unlimited." I assume with your checks you are only restricting rights based on determinations following the due process of law, no?

So direct me to a post. I'm calling you a liar, you've proposed dick

No, it is "Unlimited as long as your Constitutional rights have not been limited by due process of law".

The majority of the shootings are with people who have documented mental health issues. Which is why if they try to buy a gun when they have through due process of law had their right to a gun restricted we should arrest them and put them under lock and key where they belong.

Pre-screening, background checks don't work because you can't get rid of guns and they keep trying to buy them. The only way to be safe from those people is lock them up

No, it is "Unlimited as long as your Constitutional rights have not been limited by due process of law".

If you look at the list above, when I say the "unlimited" choice, what one other than that one could I be referring to? Do I really need to provide the full text of the choice on every reference to the list?

So, no mental health test. It seems not much weight given to anyone on the mental health list, anyway.

So, no mental health test. It seems not much weight given to anyone on the mental health list, anyway.

If we just enforced those who have been declared mentally ill through due process of law, that would fix most of the problem. Most shooters who are mentally ill have long histories

If you look at the list above, when I say the "unlimited" choice, what one other than that one could I be referring to? Do I really need to provide the full text of the choice on every reference to the list?
I meant to quote your post #10, but it looks like I accidentally quoted post #14.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Forum List

Back