🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What to expect when the House of Reps turns blue.....

Of course, what to expect AFTER the right wing morons on here have a fit......

But, with a House blue majority and the subpoena powers, expect that we will finally get to see the infamous Trump tax returns AND some really entertaining hearings with several Trump relatives and crooked cult members.......

I sure hope that "impeachment" is OFF the table; after all, why deny us the GOP wrecking ball that is our "beloved" Trump?
I think you are a bit optimistic. Trump will refuse any order they give him and force it all the way to the supreme Court.

Well, you're probably correct......which would make Trump an "excellent" candidate in 2020........

VERY tough days ahead for the Trump cult.....

You've been predicting this for two years. When do these tough days begin?

Since ignorance is "bliss"....for folks like you, tough days may never begin.....lol

If ignorance was bliss you would not be so angry

"Angry"????.............This is the happiest I've been in quite a while......lol

How can Congress subpoena someone taxes???

There is a 1924 law that stipulates the Treasury Department “shall” turn over “any return or return information” requested by the chairs of the tax committees........
For transparency, here is the tax law referred to:

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

Notice the parts in bold. The secretary can furnish any information as long as it doesn't identify a particular taxpayer...which really doesn't make sense...but those are the words.

It also says this can only be done in closed executive session. Which means any information gained there are secret and confidential. Makes me wonder even if they did get the returns, would they be able to use then for anything since they wouldn't be able to disclose that information to anyone.

Two observations

First, remember Nixon's " I am not a crook" speech and what warranted it.

Second, NO elected official would be reluctant to make public his or her tax returns UNLESS that individual has a lot to hide.
True, but there could be legitamate business reasons for him not to release them, or it could be nefarious. At this point, nobody knows. There is suspicion, but that's all.

There is a 1924 law that stipulates the Treasury Department “shall” turn over “any return or return information” requested by the chairs of the tax committees........

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

Notice the parts in bold. The secretary can furnish any information as long as it doesn't identify a particular taxpayer...which really doesn't make sense...but those are the words.

It also says this can only be done in closed executive session. Which means any information gained there are secret and confidential. Makes me wonder even if they did get the returns, would they be able to use then for anything since they wouldn't be able to disclose that information to anyone.

Two observations

Second, NO elected official would be reluctant to make public his or her tax returns UNLESS that individual has a lot to hide.
True, but there could be legitamate business reasons for him not to release them, or it could be nefarious. At this point, nobody knows. There is suspicion, but that's all.

Of course, the BEST method to eliminate suspicions would be what???......lol

Two observations

Two observations

Of course, the BEST method to eliminate suspicions would be what???......lol

Trump may find 5 SC justices willing to uphold his refusal of a subpoena for his taxes, and perhaps correctly unless there is specific crime there's probable cause to suspect he committed. Although Kavenaugh wouldn't have ruled for Clinton in the exact same circumstances.

But, given that it's beyond reasonable dispute that Putin hacked the election because of animus against Hillary, I think Maxine Waters is right that a dem House will be able to get all deutchbank records concerning loans to Trump. The records aren't even his.

I think you are a bit optimistic. Trump will refuse any order they give him and force it all the way to the supreme Court.

Well, you're probably correct......which would make Trump an "excellent" candidate in 2020........

VERY tough days ahead for the Trump cult.....

You've been predicting this for two years. When do these tough days begin?

Since ignorance is "bliss"....for folks like you, tough days may never begin.....lol

If ignorance was bliss you would not be so angry

"Angry"????.............This is the happiest I've been in quite a while......lol

That’s just sad

I think Maxine Waters is right that a dem House will be able to get all deutchbank records concerning loans to Trump. The records aren't even his
That would be tough, as they are a foreign entity. You can subpoena them all day, and they can refuse all day. The only penalty is sanctions, and Trump's human shield -- the Senate -- will squash that.

I think Maxine Waters is right that a dem House will be able to get all deutchbank records concerning loans to Trump. The records aren't even his
That would be tough, as they are a foreign entity. You can subpoena them all day, and they can refuse all day. The only penalty is sanctions, and Trump's human shield -- the Senate -- will squash that.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/maxine-waters-subpoena-trump/
Right, she could subpoena them. And deutschebank can refuse. Then ...?

You appear to be struggling with "jurisdiction."

You appear to be struggling with "jurisdiction."
Not at all. What is the penalty, when deutschebank refuses this subpoena?

But, with a House blue majority and the subpoena powers, expect that we will finally get to see the infamous Trump tax returns AND some really entertaining hearings with several Trump relatives and crooked cult members.......

I sure hope that "impeachment" is OFF the table; after all, why deny us the GOP wrecking ball that is our "beloved" Trump?

I agree if the Democrats win the House majority, they will do whatever they can to take down the Republic.

However, it would be extremely short sighted of the libs to publicize anyone's tax return. The Tax System is based upon the premise of confidentiality, and that premise helps immeasurably with compliance.

To force anyone's tax returns into the open outside of their consent will give everyone reason to think their tax returns are public fodder as well and give them legitimate reason to fudge them to look good.

I agree if the Democrats win the House majority, they will do whatever they can to take down the Republic.

However, it would be extremely short sighted of the libs to publicize anyone's tax return. The Tax System is based upon the premise of confidentiality, and that premise helps immeasurably with compliance.

To force anyone's tax returns into the open outside of their consent will give everyone reason to think their tax returns are public fodder as well and give them legitimate reason to fudge them to look good.
In other words, to break the law. We are supposed to sympathize with that?

No, I'm thinking about sympathizing with the taxpayers who will have to spend billions more for enforcement, now that confidentiality of tax returns is a dead letter.

No, I'm thinking about sympathizing with the taxpayers who will have to spend billions more for enforcement, now that confidentiality of tax returns is a dead letter.
Somehow I doubt the honest taxpayers will share your fear that, because a criminal president had his taxes exposed, theirs will be, too.

I do see your point, but i still think people will recognize the difference.

To force anyone's tax returns into the open outside of their consent will give everyone reason to think their tax returns are public fodder as well and give them legitimate reason to fudge them to look goo

Tell THAT to Al Capone.......lol

Somehow I doubt the honest taxpayers will share your fear that, because a criminal president had his taxes exposed, theirs will be, too.

I do see your point, but i still think people will recognize the difference.

President Trump has already had his tax returns thoroughly audited by the Ultraliberal Lois Lerner led IRS. I'm sure they are perfectly legal.

The liberals just want to expose them publicly to try and demagogue an uninformed general public.

President Trump has already had his tax returns thoroughly audited by the Ultraliberal Lois Lerner led IRS. I'm sure they are perfectly legal.
That's nice, but we don't ask to see our presidents' tax returns to search for illegal activity. We look at them in order to make sure they don't have any financial interests that would cause them to come in conflict with the country's interests.

Forum List

Back