What would happen if Chicago police were defunded?

Disbanding, then interviewing the cops for the new force, allows them to not have to keep the bad cops with the bad records, that they were forced to keep, due to the Union.

I think disbanding the force, and reconstructing it as a new police force, disbands the union, protecting the bad guys right now.

Reducing funds, also takes away other responsibilities that the police were funded for, like potential suicide calls, where mental health authorities would be sent, instead of untrained cops, that could inadvertently escalate the situation....is just one example.

Or in smaller cities, cut the police budget on their never ending buying of ex military SURPLUS like tanks etc, when that money could be better spent to improve communities.

Sounds like someone doesn't understand the definition of "defunding".
Sounds like y'all are in your super duper campaign mode, focussed only on destroying your opponent, instead of listening to the actual concerns of all the people, and working towards a solution.... :rolleyes:

You friken loons make it so easy.

1. Many people of Chicago (of ALL ethnicities) would leave and move to the suburbs.
2. Many people who stayed would march on City Hall and demand that the police be returned.
3. The Chicago Police Department would be on duty again.

P.S. BLM leaders would be the first people to beg for the return of the police.

They don’t do a good job of policing and they solve less then 50% of the murders. Might want to try something different rather than continue the failure.
All those gun laws are SURELY helping.

Liberty is the answer, like always.

Let the people arm themselves and eventually, the war becomes too costly.

Exactly. But you be hard pressed to convince either side of that...

Very few in power want to "defund" the cops. Even the Mayor of Minneapolis and the Mayor of St Paul have backtracked on this one. It's about police REFORM and TRAINING. It's about ridding departments of bad apples.

This Trump Law & Order BS is a non-starter.

Very few in power want to "defund" the cops. Even the Mayor of Minneapolis and the Mayor of St Paul have backtracked on this one. It's about police REFORM and TRAINING. It's about ridding departments of bad apples.

Yet, the rioters, looters, protestors AND the Minneapolis city council want DEFUNDING. Seems as though you'll be getting what you asked for.

Disbanding, then interviewing the cops for the new force, allows them to not have to keep the bad cops with the bad records, that they were forced to keep, due to the Union.

I think disbanding the force, and reconstructing it as a new police force, disbands the union, protecting the bad guys right now.

Reducing funds, also takes away other responsibilities that the police were funded for, like potential suicide calls, where mental health authorities would be sent, instead of untrained cops, that could inadvertently escalate the situation....is just one example.

Or in smaller cities, cut the police budget on their never ending buying of ex military SURPLUS like tanks etc, when that money could be better spent to improve communities.
This could have been done a long time ago. A convenient election year issue with another dead criminal set up as a martyr.

You act like you just found out about this. Its all a surprise.

You act like you just found out about this. Its all a surprise.

Won't be able to pin it on Uncle Joe. Sad for you!

Very few in power want to "defund" the cops. Even the Mayor of Minneapolis and the Mayor of St Paul have backtracked on this one.
Of course not. There's a budget from city hall.
It's about police REFORM and TRAINING.
That costs money and justifies an even bigger budget to the city council.
It's about ridding departments of bad apples.
There's always a token firing or two for the sake of political correctness, but then the police union steps in and in effect it's just a "lateral transfer" to a different town.

This could have been done a long time ago. A convenient election year issue with another dead criminal set up as a martyr.
No one could time Arbery, with an ex cop involved and Floyd, coupled with a pandemic stay at home confinement orders, being released from this captivity, and economy reopening, with millions of people being unemployed with time on their hands to protest, in an election year....

In other words, unforeseen happenstance, (like an act of God) pulled that all together to happen the way it did....imo.

Chicago suffers deadliest day in 60 years with 18 murders in 24 hours
In the entire weekend stretching from 7 p.m. Friday, May 29, through 11 p.m. Sunday, May 31, 24 people were killed in Chcago and another 85 were wounded by gunfire.

Chicago Police department budgets have ballooned across the nation in recent years. Out of a city total budget of $11.65 billion, CPD's budget is $1.78 billion.

Seems pretty obvious BUT clearly has been a political issue confined to these large cities...
View attachment 347920

Stop with the backtracking. Ideas should have been made a long time ago. Progs are mired in deep shit and they try to wash themselves clean of it when it hits the fan. So they blame others.

You wrote "Ridding bad apples"... How many "bad apples" are there? Define a "bad apple". At what point does
a cop become a "bad apple"?

Derek Chauvin, a 19-year department veteran who was the subject of at least a dozen police conduct complaints that resulted in no disciplinary action and one that led to a "letter of reprimand." The officer, who was praised for valor during his career, also once fired his weapon during an encounter with a suspect, records show.
Was he a "bad apple" after 19 years and no disciplinary actions from 12 conduct complaints? Or should he have been mustered out as a "bad apple" the FIRST time? Is that what "people" want... Jesus figures as COPS i.e. a perfect person?

I'm just not convinced there are enough "Jesus" type people that can become the "PERFECT" cop. To totally without logic or rational thought "defund" the police is worse than what Chauvin did. Talk about "innocent" people dying!

from the article:

Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward) demanded that Lightfoot develop a plan to stabilize Chicago’s neighborhoods for five days, calling his Southwest Side ward “a virtual war zone” where gang members armed with AK-47’s were threatening to shoot black people.

“My ward is a s--t show,” Sadlowski-Garza said, adding that cop cars and banks were burned. “They are shooting at the police. ...I have never seen the likes of this. I’m scared.”

Lightfoot said officers were in “armed combat” with those intent on committing crimes on the West Side only making progress after bringing in “heavy equipment and stronger pepper spray.”

“I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen s--t like this before, not in Chicago,” Lightfoot said.

You wrote "Ridding bad apples"... How many "bad apples" are there? Define a "bad apple". At what point does

Derek Chauvin, a 19-year department veteran who was the subject of at least a dozen police conduct complaints that resulted in no disciplinary action and one that led to a "letter of reprimand." The officer, who was praised for valor during his career, also once fired his weapon during an encounter with a suspect, records show.
Was he a "bad apple" after 19 years and no disciplinary actions from 12 conduct complaints? Or should he have been mustered out as a "bad apple" the FIRST time? Is that what "people" want... Jesus figures as COPS i.e. a perfect person?

I'm just not convinced there are enough "Jesus" type people that can become the "PERFECT" cop. To totally without logic or rational thought "defund" the police is worse than what Chauvin did. Talk about "innocent" people dying!

Considering the fact his wife left him the moment he was locked up....Seems pretty obvious

Also police have a 40% domestic violence rate lol

So just by that one metric alone just under half are bad apples.

This is the police stronghold.
FOP subordinate lodges may be trade unions and/or Fraternal Organizations, as the FOP has both Labor Lodges and Fraternal Lodges, and describes itself as a "full service member representation organization." It lobbies Congress and regulatory agencies on behalf of law enforcement officers, provides labor representation, ...
Fraternal Order of Police - Wikipedia
--------------------------------------
which no one can touch, and they vote republican.

Republicans believe in strong police unions, but not for anyone else.

Sounds like someone doesn't understand the definition of "defunding".
Sounds like y'all are in your super duper campaign mode, focussed only on destroying your opponent, instead of listening to the actual concerns of all the people, and working towards a solution.... :rolleyes:

You friken loons make it so easy.
:lol:
:lol:

Well, y'all and your submissiveness to Trump, at all costs and loss of your own nation and the rule of law... is maddening! Of course we have gone Looney tune!!! :eek-52:

Considering the fact his wife left him the moment he was locked up....Seems pretty obvious

Also police have a 40% domestic violence rate lol

So just by that one metric alone just under half are bad apples.
You know I didn't believe your statement as you didn't have the courtesy to back it up with a source.
But you are right...https://kutv.com/news/local/40-of-police-officer-families-experience-domestic-violence-study-says
That % is valid. BUT then I did a little more research and found that
every year..10 million people have domestic violence. SO does that make 40% bad apples...?
  • On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.1
  • 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner. This includes a range of behaviors (e.g. slapping, shoving,
Again the difference between you and me is I deal with reality.
We can't fire 40% of cops because Domestic violence when 10 million people have domestic violence per year!

But the solution is NOT ridding"bad apples" but clearly paying more for "GOOD apples" AND educating people like you NOT to jump to conclusions based on the really biased MSM presentations! Remember the MSM ONLY makes money when you respond to BAD news... i.e. Floyd shooting... bad news... Officer Dorn, black cop for 30 years killed.. bad news but NOT enough to equal the criminal Floyd's resistance death.

You think "mental health authorities" have any desire to go out into the community and deal with unstable people on the street? Have you checked with any of THEM on that belief, Care? I think you'll find that they tell you to take a hike!

'What would happen if Chicago police were defunded?'

The weekend of Floyd being killed some 40 blacks were shot / killed.
EVERY weekend in Chicago there is approx. - at least - a dozen shootings.
During the anarchist / opportunistic violence some 50 ATMs were blown up / looted.
...and this is WITH Police.

If crime is committed - escalates, as multiple studies show it will - and there are no cops around to blame, what do they do then?

Will Black-on-Black crime / murder finally become a big enough issue to have to deal with?

Will the black community have to talk about it looting, destroying, burning, and chasing jobs / economic growth / opportunity away?

Or will the claim be 'emotional / historic scars remain' and 'reparation have not been paid'?

When they have destroyed their own neighborhoods /. communities will they move to others and 'claim' them for their own in the name of 'Social Justice'....only to begin the same self-destructive process?

It is never a Democrat's / liberal's / snowflake's fault - they are all victims and their actions are always 'justified'.

Forum List

Back