What Would You Do?

If the person was putting their over the line messages up while they are on the clock, then I would fire them, but when they are anywhere else, what they do then is all up to them because that time belongs to them and no one else.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. If what goes up online when they are not at their job are their true honest feelings, why should anything be done to them when saying anything is the only thing that they are guilty of? Now if over the legal line actions were taken to illustrate their feelings, then it would be a whole other story.

Whoever he doesn't agree with.

Incredible how petty and trivial PC Nazis can be, finding somebody on Facebook expressing an opinion and then spending energy on trying to get them fired, just for the little juvenile power trip and thrills. Reminds me of the little hall monitor weasels in grade school.

Yeah, but when someone's individual rights become a liability to a company, why should they continue to employ them. Example...there is a discrimination lawsuit - a gay guy claims he was fired because he wears panty hose to work (Im just making this up). One of the supervisors (who isn't involved at all) is found to post anti-gay rants on USMB. The gay guy has a good lawyer and finds this and uses those comments against the company...potentially costing them millions.

Millions? How the fuck much is the company paying the guy they fired?

This is purely a hypothetical question and my apologies in advance as I couldn't find the best section to put it in...

If you owned a high profile company involved in a public service...say a doctors office, employment agency, or law firm - a company that dealt with the public in a high profile manner...

What would you do if you found out an employee was posting inappropriate comments on Facebook or elsewhere on the internet? Like racist, homophobic, or misogynist remarks?

Terminate their employment.

Doing things which may reflect badly on their employer is more than sufficient reason to show them the door. And is no different in the internet age than if they were out in front of the job site shouting at the top of their lungs those same remarks.

Actually, there is a very significant difference. The fact that you are unaware of that difference is the entire fucking problem with this thread.

Perhaps a better question would be "How would it affect the public perception of the company? "

I personally think it would be a nightmare.
People on here threw a fit when a deputy assistant secretary for housing and urban development put up a hypothetical on twitter about bergdahl's platoon - and then drew the conclusion that everyone in the administration up to the president had to accept that hypothetical as the truth.

those comments weren't made as an official, or in any official capacity, but they caused quite the ruckus for the administration all the same.

granted, not everything is as charged as politics, but it's too easy for people to make the leap from someone's personal views to the views of an organization that person is a part of.

in summation, if the employee is making comments that could damage the image of the business, the business has a duty to protect itself.

They did?

Even if that ridiculous statement were true, you are talking about a political situation, which has nothing to do with the OP. The government actually has the authority under current law to restrict the speech of its employees, employers do not.

Incredible how petty and trivial PC Nazis can be, finding somebody on Facebook expressing an opinion and then spending energy on trying to get them fired, just for the little juvenile power trip and thrills. Reminds me of the little hall monitor weasels in grade school.

Yeah, but when someone's individual rights become a liability to a company, why should they continue to employ them. Example...there is a discrimination lawsuit - a gay guy claims he was fired because he wears panty hose to work (Im just making this up). One of the supervisors (who isn't involved at all) is found to post anti-gay rants on USMB. The gay guy has a good lawyer and finds this and uses those comments against the company...potentially costing them millions.

Key word...potentially. Given a lawsuit, legal fees, time, the settlement/ verdict...one stupid comment on the internet could very easily cost a large company millions.

Key word...potentially. Given a lawsuit, legal fees, time, the settlement/ verdict...one stupid comment on the internet could very easily cost a large company millions.

That depends on what he wrote, was is slander, conspiracy to commit a felony? All I read was biased slurs. The company may suffer, somewhere is name, AND the companies, are known.

1. howey is clearly baiting me

2. i'll bite because howey is a loser and doesn't know what the fuck he talking about

3. if you are in a high profile position with the company, essentially, a 'face' of the company, then yes, you should and can be fired. folks, there is no first amendment freedom of speech in the private workforce. there have been numerous high profile execs, managers etc, fired in recent years for their public comments. if those comments hurt the company, sorry bub, you gotta go. take for example the founder of american apparel, this guy founded the company and eventually he was canned by the board for his behavior, which became public and it hurt the company. if the founder and owner can be canned, you bet you damn ass anyone else can.

ring ring howey, ring ring

Key word, idiocy.

The company has no legal liability for anything other than pay if they back pay if they fire someone illegally. They have no legal liability for not firing someone unless that person actually damages someone else physically. Maybe you should read up on how the law actually works instead of pretending you have all the answers.

Key word, idiocy.

The company has no legal liability for anything other than pay if they back pay if they fire someone illegally. They have no legal liability for not firing someone unless that person actually damages someone else physically. Maybe you should read up on how the law actually works instead of pretending you have all the answers.

You are 100% wrong. As a matter of fact, imbecilic. If someone is fired illegally (discriminated against) they can receive back pay as well as compensatory and punitive damages.

Want an example:

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20130301/NEWS07/130309985#
A former RadioShack Corp. employee has won a $675,000 final judgment in an age discrimination and retaliation case filed on his behalf by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the agency said Thursday.

In 2007, David Nelson, then 55, had been employed by RadioShack for more than 25 years when the Fort Worth, Texas-based company assigned a new 43-year-old regional manager to supervise him, said the EEOC.

There are many more examples...but I am not going to waste my time on an idiot who is stupid enough to think that a company is only liable for back pay.

I wonder if you will respond and admit you are wrong. You are a teaper, so I doubt it. But come back with another BS argument and I can show you why you are wrong over and over and over again.

:lmao:

Idiot

Key word, idiocy.

You are 100% wrong. As a matter of fact, imbecilic. If someone is fired illegally (discriminated against) they can receive back pay as well as compensatory and punitive damages.

Want an example:

A former RadioShack Corp. employee has won a $675,000 final judgment in an age discrimination and retaliation case filed on his behalf by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the agency said Thursday.

In 2007, David Nelson, then 55, had been employed by RadioShack for more than 25 years when the Fort Worth, Texas-based company assigned a new 43-year-old regional manager to supervise him, said the EEOC.
There are many more examples...but I am not going to waste my time on an idiot who is stupid enough to think that a company is only liable for back pay.

I wonder if you will respond and admit you are wrong. You are a teaper, so I doubt it. But come back with another BS argument and I can show you why you are wrong over and over and over again.

Idiot

And it will not amount to millions unless they are paying the guy 7 figures in the first fucking place, which was my fucking point. Thanks for agreeing with me though.

Last edited:
Key word, idiocy.

Want an example:

Idiot

And it will not amount to millions unless they are paying the guy 7 figures in the first fucking place, which was my fucking point. Thanks for agreeing with me though.

It can become class action, multiple plaintiffs...legal costs. It could cost millions. But lets go back to the back pay only comment....care to backtrack?

Edit: And I doubt the man above was making close 6 figures. Add legal costs, time and effort...that 675,000 verdict cost at least a million.

Last edited:
This is purely a hypothetical question and my apologies in advance as I couldn't find the best section to put it in...

If you owned a high profile company involved in a public service...say a doctors office, employment agency, or law firm - a company that dealt with the public in a high profile manner...

What would you do if you found out an employee was posting inappropriate comments on Facebook or elsewhere on the internet? Like racist, homophobic, or misogynist remarks?

You asked this and the first thing that popped to my mind was the nurse just fired for posting this photo:

screen-shot-2014-06-27-at-11-53-50-am-1.jpg

I believe she should not have been fired. If people are making threats to others, or their words stir hatred towards fellow employees, then they should be fired.

Want an example:

Idiot

It can become class action, multiple plaintiffs...legal costs. It could cost millions. But lets go back to the back pay only comment....care to backtrack?

Edit: And I doubt the man above was making close 6 figures. Add legal costs, time and effort...that 675,000 verdict cost at least a million.

Over the hypothetical postings of one guy on the internet? Seriously?

Dude, you need to stop with the drugs.

So somebody in Butte posts some trash about his ex-girlfriend and their messy break-up and calls her a carpet munching dyke, while his ex posts trash on her FB page about how he's a dumbass wetback or whatever the case is, then some loser in Boca Raton happens across this stuff and gets all offended at the 'racism' and 'homophobic hate speech', and people actually think the furniture store and the Dairy Queen these two work at will be 'damaged' and should fire them both?

I mean, really, who actually cares about this stuff other than weenies and neurotics? Certainly not many employers. Just ask them not to post who their employers are on the page; no need to launch witch hunts and Weenie Parades. The ideal solution is to deport anybody who bothers with making big deals out of this stuff, including employers who would fire somebody over this.

Last edited:

Over the hypothetical postings of one guy on the internet? Seriously?

Dude, you need to stop with the drugs.

Tell me again..can a fired employee win more than back wages?

Hard to say you walk a fine line between having your business being hurt by there post and punishing someone for expressing their freedom of speech rights on there own time.

On company time I'd fire them.

On their own time, it's none of my business as long as they are not representing the company.

but I would certainly unfreind them

Perhaps a better question would be "How would it affect the public perception of the company? "

I personally think it would be a nightmare.

well to use the real world for this, I think nbc and msn suck balls for keeping so many racist and sexist in front of the camera.

so like I said, if they were out there repping my company while doing this, I'd can them.

but I'm a fairly moral person, while nbc and msn are not

Forum List

Back