What you feeding your dog?

I have always made my own. Dinners chicken, sweet tater and brussels (sometimes broc or caulif) little scrambled egg at breakfast meal.

Cookies are hand made, organic, oatmeal, flour molasses, PB etc. Sometimes a treat of a spoon of cottage cheese, or vanilla ice cream, very little.

Never any store treats or food. Notice the colored liva snaps, bones etc, FDC coloring crap. Gives dogs seizures, dogs don't care what color snacks are, Chinese do.

Big dog: Blue Buffalo w/egg and scoop of chopped Fresh Pet

Little dogs: Blue Buffalo in the morning, chopped Fresh Pet for dinner.

We get our Chicken Jerky and another treat at Costco, both emblazoned with "MADE IN THE USA" on the bags. We've always bought them there, they've always been made in the USA, don't recall having ever seen Chinese crap at Costco...

Last year, we lost our 3-year old Wheaten Terrier to kidney failure. After 2 weeks and 2500 dollars in vet bills, we were devastated to find out it was due to Chinese manufactured chicken jerky treats we had purchased at Costco.
At any rate, we are desperately trying to find a dry dog food without any Chinese ingredients whatsoever. Almost impossible. Even foods like Merrick and Fromm source vitamins from China for their formulations.
I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
View attachment 387431

Smoke, as a fellow dog lover...the issue might be less the diet than genetics. Wheatons, sadly, have a genetic issue with kidney disease. What you might try is a home made diet. My friend kept her Border Callie going for five years on it, she lost her at 16. The key is maintaining the right ratios of phosphorous and some other things. If you want I can ask her where she went for info. Let me know, and hugs to you, I know it is difficult.

We get our Chicken Jerky and another treat at Costco, both emblazoned with "MADE IN THE USA" on the bags. We've always bought them there, they've always been made in the USA, don't recall having ever seen Chinese crap at Costco...

I always check jerky and rawhide...so much is from China!

Absolutely. Nothing from China gets near my furry kids...

Last year, we lost our 3-year old Wheaten Terrier to kidney failure. After 2 weeks and 2500 dollars in vet bills, we were devastated to find out it was due to Chinese manufactured chicken jerky treats we had purchased at Costco.
At any rate, we are desperately trying to find a dry dog food without any Chinese ingredients whatsoever. Almost impossible. Even foods like Merrick and Fromm source vitamins from China for their formulations.
View attachment 387431

We NEVER buy ANYTHING made in China. We have a 7 week old German Shephard pup and she gets US made puppy food.

Wouldn't she prefer schnitzel?

Look up Kingdom Pets chicken jerky treats. These treats killed thousands of dogs before they were recalled. They were made in China and Costco sold them for many years.

Look up Kingdom Pets chicken jerky treats. These treats killed thousands of dogs before they were recalled. They were made in China and Costco sold them for many years.

We're buying Farmland Traditions Chicken Jerky & Top Chew Chicken and Apple sausage bites from Costco. Both made in the good old U.S. of A.

A quick look at the Costco website and I could find only one dog treat not made in the U.S. and that one is from Thailand. Looks like the Kingdom Pets debacle motivated them to change their sourcing practices...

We will be making our own for her.

View attachment 387431

We NEVER buy ANYTHING made in China. We have a 7 week old German Shephard pup and she gets US made puppy food.

Wouldn't she prefer schnitzel?

Not till she's older

We will be making our own for her.

If I didn't have 4 dogs, I would consider that, or trying raw, but it's not practical with 4. If I have one with kidney diseases though you bet I will. My friend got a good long active life with Megan on her home diet :)

Just as an FYI - Whole Dog Journal does an awesome annual dog food analysis. They tell you what to look for and what to avoid, and rate a good many foods.

We're buying Farmland Traditions Chicken Jerky & Top Chew Chicken and Apple sausage bites from Costco. Both made in the good old U.S. of A.

A quick look at the Costco website and I could find only one dog treat not made in the U.S. and that one is from Thailand. Looks like the Kingdom Pets debacle motivated them to change their sourcing practices...
I'm sure you're correct. Also be aware that labels can be very misleading. They are designed to entice you to put them in your cart. Made in the USA is not the same as sourced in the USA. One has to be careful as many "made in USA" products use ingredients sourced from China.

Last year, we lost our 3-year old Wheaten Terrier to kidney failure.
My uncle died in his eighties of kidney failure. It makes me wonder, technically humans are omnivores and can eat everything a dog can and then some, including fruits, nuts, sweets, vegetables, etc.

Dogs don't live as long as people, and there are certain foods and toxins poisonous to dogs, which humans can eat without ill effects.

What did my uncle eat or drink that was so poisonous or deleterious?

80 years, obviously.
All people do grow old and die eventually, but it it not for one human to enforce such limitations and pass such judgment on the usefulness of another human's life to end it before the appointed time.

I have a bear in my yard. He becomes angry if I leave any food out, but he doesn't eat any of it himself; he's satisfied if I put the food away. The bear is trying to go to sleep for the winter and he doesn't want to be awakened by wolves or small animals scavenging for food.

Taste of the Wild.
She does very well with it.
We do let her lick out plates after dinner, and prewash the cooking pots as long as not too much oil.
If she doesn't get to do this, she is beside herself.

View attachment 387431
Read the labels.

There are still dog treats and dog food made in the US

Forum List

Back