What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

Indeed... and they ought to have their ass kicked up around their fucking shoulders, be arrested, and sent to what ever other country they feel the need to burn their flag next.

Try burning one in front of me, and will remove some of your teeth. Go to jail for it? Gladly. Small price to pay to fuck up someone desecrating the most sacred symbol of America, and all the blood and dead that fought for it.

You see...THIS is the nonsense and IGNORANCE I'm talking about. Here you have an individual that allowed themselves to get so wrapped up in EMOTION for an inanimate object that this individual is now willing and ready to physically accost another individual simply because THEIR EMOTIONS has been hurt.

It is individuals such as this one that are found in gutters or go missing when they come across the wrong person of group of people.

Indeed... and they ought to have their ass kicked up around their fucking shoulders, be arrested, and sent to what ever other country they feel the need to burn their flag next.

Try burning one in front of me, and will remove some of your teeth. Go to jail for it? Gladly. Small price to pay to fuck up someone desecrating the most sacred symbol of America, and all the blood and dead that fought for it.

You see...THIS is the nonsense and IGNORANCE I'm talking about. Here you have an individual that allowed themselves to get so wrapped up in EMOTION for an inanimate object that this individual is now willing and ready to physically accost another individual simply because THEIR EMOTIONS has been hurt.

It is individuals such as this one that are found in gutters or go missing when they come across the wrong person of group of people.

Threatening Pale Rider now MarcATL? What, your EMOTIONS get wrapped up in this one?

I think it's a legal act, just be prepared for the consequences. As wished, the likelihood of reaction of others may be disproportionate and the flag burner will likely find what the police discretionary powers mean.

saveliburty...how is what I said a THREAT?

Why are you people so buckin emotional?

:rolleyes:

Threatening Pale Rider now MarcATL? What, your EMOTIONS get wrapped up in this one?

YOu really like looking like a fool, huh? Please point out any threat there.

I know, you are just being a loser troll

saveliburty...how is what I said a THREAT?

Why are you people so buckin emotional?

:rolleyes:

Deception and purposely trying to get under the skin of intelligent people with the most retarded arguments and statements possible, because they can't defend their opinions

YOu really like looking like a fool, huh? Please point out any threat there.

I know, you are just being a loser troll

Veiled threat, but a threat none the less. (see bold) Seems someone mentioned reading comprehension in their neg rep. If you can't comprehend the threat, you need help.

No you SHEMOTIONAL bitch....if YOU see anything I stated as threat then YOU are the bitch with problem. Got that...bitch?

It's legal, unfortunately.... protected under free speech

I have served my country with honor... and buried come close friends with the flag on their coffins... and I think that anyone who desecrates the flag is a despicable piece of shit....

a%20InternetToughGuy.jpg

Talk is cheap.

No you SHEMOTIONAL bitch....if YOU see anything I stated as threat then YOU are the bitch with problem. Got that...bitch?

Got gender indentification problems or just emotional impairment? Why so worked up? We are just discussing flags. You have to go getting all in your face violent and stuff. You can take the boy out of the hood, but not the hood out of the boy.

Respect is earned, in the case of our flag it was earned defending the planet from dictators. The men and women who gave their lives for us loved this nation and its flag, a symbol of our nation. If it is so important to have this free speech right with flags, why don't these people burn the dollar. That is probably a better representation of the nation. God we trust, little flag on there, a president, an eagle and usually some government building.

No in my eyes. It protects speech for all of us.

It is us, the people, and our lack of repect for the sentiments of others that incites riot.

Those "pot smoking hiipies" of the 60's had a cause they believed in. They spoke out. Many called them "pot smoking hippiss" which minimized the importance of their sentiments, so the firnge element went to the next level in an effort to be heard.

We see the same thing with the tea party. Last April 15th? No artrests, no violence, no racism. And they were ridiculed by those with conflicting sentiments.

So you are surpirsed that the fringe took it to then next level?

No sir. Free speech is a must for the US. How we respect those that use it will dictate how those that use it decide to use it.

I am not against free speech I am not for free speech without a few limits. I would not codify it because I think it is a case by case basis.

It's a difficult subject to tackle without a black and white, approach. One cannot shout 'fire' in a crowded theater is the argument made in cases.

The family Phelps is hiding behind protest in order to get publicity for their religious beliefs.

I'm torn between competing principles.

Dante,

I accepted many years ago; you need to accept the negatives to rewap the rewards of the positives.

For example:

Healthcare. I never complained about my tax dollars being used to pay for those that use the ER. It allowed me fredom of choice regarding insurance.

I do not like to see a flag burning, but I accept it as a consequence of me being allowed to speak out against something I do not like.

I do not agree with abortion. But, to me, it is freedom of choice and I will never say one can not have an abortion. I will always vote in favor for abortion as I see myself voting in favor of freedom of choice.

Same as gay marriage. Not for it or against it. Has no affect on me at all. Let there be a vote? I will vote in favor as I am voting in favor of freedom of choice.

Have fun with it Dante, but that is who I am. I have never been called a hypocrite by anyone who knows me. And I know you dont see me as one.

Alas, many on here do as they know I am a conservative.
Jarhead,

It's called compromise and I have had Tea Party types tell me that compromise, is a dirty word. So let us not quibble about whether or not the Tea Party represents something positive for this nation?

I do not see hypocrisy in your statement of preferences and principles. I have rarely been called a hypocrite, and when I was it was never by a reasonable and rational person. I've had sane conservatives tell em they respect me and am interested in my views. I am a principled liberal who doesn't hide behind terms like classic liberall or libertarian to explain positions that may lean towards a conservative pov...and I definitely have never hid behind the term progressive after Mr. Nice guy Ronald Reagan led a charge to demonize the opposition and defame liberalism in the minds of people like Gunny, when ended up voting identity to a group over principles and over self interests.

Please show me where I showed respect for opinons that differ.
How dare you make such an accusation at the expense of my credibility.

On a serious note:

I will be more open minded about the tea partyers, but I know what I see and hear; and I do not see what you see. But I will look closer for what you see. ALl I ask is that you look closer for what I see.

And as for certain political entities being part of the tea party:

As of now, (and I will look closer), I see them CAPITALIZING on the tea partyers; much like many capitalized on the fgiref of Cindy Sheehan.

And I, for one, did not hold that against Cindy Sheehan. She became a pawn, not a participant.

I dare much. :eusa_whistle:

---

You do not see what I see. Maybe it is about the larger view with a narrow focus. I said I understand the anger and frustration people feel. I understand people feeling helpless when things aren't going well. I am a student of history and of human beings, so I see all populist movements as potential threats to the well being of society.

I see large gatherings as places where people put aside their egos for a group identity that is always in opposition to an 'other' and that can be dangerous. I think crowd mentalities create group hysteria and hallucinations. I have seen a few race riots where people involved did not see and hear what I did---because unlike me they got caught up in the crowd. I am no better than these people I knew well, but I was more of an individual with a strong sense of self and an ego not easily given up for a group to belong to.

I see the anger and frustration of Tea Party rallies without the camaraderie that would distort the senses. I've seen this before. It is not pretty to those outside the group.

And I see anger and frustration as well.
However, I also see plenty of comeraderie.

And it is the camaraderie that blinds people to reality, that invites denial and worse, can feed a demonization of opponents as the 'other'---the enemy.

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

I'm a little late to this party, I had an American Legion meeting to attend.

I don't believe there should be any difference between left and right on this, And I would hope this isn't split down party lines, But I don't know that is true.

The flag means a lot to me. It is a symbol of the USA, It waves wherever our fighting forces are, anywhere in the world. It even waves on the Moon to show that we; the USA has been there. But more than a symbol of our country, the flag is a symbol for all that we stand for. Democracy, freedom, pride, The most free country in history and the greatest.

As our flag is a symbol of our freedoms, how can one truly demonstrate those freedoms by destroying the symbol of those freedoms?

I disagree with anyone who burns an American flag as a form of protest. However, until the law is changed (and I work toward that end) I will stand up and defend their (temporary ) right to do so. (As stupid as they make themselves look.)

The right will and should ALWAYS be upheld...to BURN that flag down at will.

The right will and should ALWAYS be upheld...to BURN that flag down at will.

47 States currently have uncontested flag protection laws, And a proposed amendment to the constitution has come as close as one vote in the Senate to passing. The Flag of the USA will be protected.

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

As long as you bought it, you can do what you want. I do find it odd that burning our flag is constitutionally protected now but a man down in Texas that burned the Mexican flag was arrested.

Oh, and if you burn your flag in front of me, expect to get an earful of my constitutionally protected free speech. :D

Forum List

Back