Where Would We Be Without the Experts in This CV19 Debacle?

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
“The scariest words in the English language are ‘We are from the government and we are here to help.’ - Ronald Reagan

“A negative test result means something different for each test. If somebody tests negative on a viral test, a doctor can be relatively confident that they are not sick right now;if somebody tests negative on an antibody test, they have probably never been infected with or exposed to the coronavirus. (Or they may have been given a false result—antibody tests are notoriously less accurate on an individual level than viral tests.) The problem is that the CDC is clumping negative results from both tests together in its public reporting.”

The Republican mantra:

If a republican fails, that proves government is bad.

If a democrat fails, that proves democrats are bad.

“The scariest words in the English language are ‘We are from the government and we are here to help.’ - Ronald Reagan

“A negative test result means something different for each test. If somebody tests negative on a viral test, a doctor can be relatively confident that they are not sick right now;if somebody tests negative on an antibody test, they have probably never been infected with or exposed to the coronavirus. (Or they may have been given a false result—antibody tests are notoriously less accurate on an individual level than viral tests.) The problem is that the CDC is clumping negative results from both tests together in its public reporting.”

“The scariest words" are an oversimplification, at best. Six months ago there probably was not a test at all. I have no doubt they will get better, and I suspect you are pretty sure this is true as well. I am really please that government forced the papermill in North Carolina to quit poisoning the water that killed the river flowing into Tennessee, as well as other testing and regulatory efforts in other places that have become superfund sites. Too bad the State of Michigan did not listen to the government inspectors about their dams in the central part of the state, in light of two of them catastrophically failing in the same watershed, hours apart. I am pretty pleased with the regulations that have forced auto manufacturers to design vehicles less likely kill people on the highway, in the event of a vehicle accident or mechanical failure leading to one, same with National Transit Safety Board. These are all examples of programs that pissed off manufacturers initially but have lead to definitive advancements to public safety, saving many lives. Government regulatory functions are often good and often necessary unless your ox is gored, then they are deemed a hindrance and an interference to making a cheaper buck, externalizing the costs to society.

Forum List

Back