Which religion do you follow? Why did you pick that one?

Just out of curiosity.

Well "follow" is a bit of a stretch in my case. I'm Catholic. I was born catholic but when I was a young man I went full atheist. There was a time when I went back to God and when I thought about what religion I would "follow" I went back to Catholicism. Mother Teresa was one of the reasons.

I'm a latter day saint. Why? Because after much study I asked the Lord and the Spirit testified that it was correct.

and because it makes sense

Oddly enough, it was a Buddhist teaching that best explains my Christian faith:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”--attributed to Siddhãrtha Gautama (Buddha):

I have always loved that quote. Unfortunately, its a fake. It's first appearance was in a book from the 1950's. This is the actual quote from the Suttas:

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them.”

It is slightly different, but I think the most important aspect is the same. You have to be true to what you think is right, not simply accept what you are told.

Still waiting for you to share what you know about the Southern Baptist religion that makes you reference it so sneeringly, and talk about foolish practices and whatnot.

Which practices are particular to Southern Baptists that you find *foolish*?

Still waiting for you to share what you know about the Southern Baptist religion that makes you reference it so sneeringly, and talk about foolish practices and whatnot.

I like 'em, unless the Pentecostals infiltrate the flock.

Christian...southern Baptist.

Of course, you're a Southern Baptist. That makes perfect sense.

Bigotry becomes you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pardon me, but what bigotry is in that statement?

If you can't see it, then you can't see it. Sad

So...nothing then?

Racists and bigots fail to see their own hate and bigotry. Either you or you don't. Obviously, you don't.

• Equality - In a resolution released in 1998, Southern Baptists view all people as equal in God's eyes, but believe the husband or man has authority in the household and responsibility to protect his family. The wife or woman ought to respect and love her husband and submit graciously to his demands.
  • Heaven and Hell - Southern Baptists believe in a heaven and hell. People who fail to recognize God as the one and only are sentenced to eternity in hell.
  • Ordination of Women - Baptists believe Scripture teaches that men and women are equal in value, but have different roles in the family and in the church. Pastoral leadership positions are reserved for men.

Some churches of the SBC won't allow divorcees to become pastors. Some don't allow musical instruments in church, or dancing at all. They are all against same-sex marriage.

Your views fit with the structure of beliefs of the SBC.

• Equality - In a resolution released in 1998, Southern Baptists view all people as equal in God's eyes, but believe the husband or man has authority in the household and responsibility to protect his family. The wife or woman ought to respect and love her husband and submit graciously to his demands.
  • Heaven and Hell - Southern Baptists believe in a heaven and hell. People who fail to recognize God as the one and only are sentenced to eternity in hell.
  • Ordination of Women - Baptists believe Scripture teaches that men and women are equal in value, but have different roles in the family and in the church. Pastoral leadership positions are reserved for men.

Some churches of the SBC won't allow divorcees to become pastors. Some don't allow musical instruments in church, or dancing at all. They are all against same-sex marriage.

And while the SBC is more conservative than some groups, you have some pretty bizarre and erroneous assumptions about who and what they are. (And I am not and have never been Southern Baptist)

Here's just one of the reasons I embrace Christianity :):

And while the SBC is more conservative than some groups, you have some pretty bizarre and erroneous assumptions about who and what they are. (And I am not and have never been Southern Baptist)

These are taken directly from the SBC. They are neither assumptions nor erroneous.

These are taken directly from the SBC. They are neither assumptions nor erroneous.

All of those beliefs are scripturally sound, and are why the SBC is so successful. Yes, we believe different people have different roles.

I do not follow any religion. I absorb wisdom, lessons, and culture from every religion I Will.

I combine the right hand path and the left hand path. I embrace the "Light Side" as well as the "Dark Side" to create my own side.

I hold in one hand the Sun and in the other the Moon. In other words, I am morally balanced. I revere all that is Celestial and all that is Infernal equally. I find equal value in Order and Chaos, and equal value in Good and Evil.

My religion is ultimate spiritual freedom.

Though because I forge my own spiritual/ religious system, and continue to develop my own rituals and incantations, and because of my eclectic views and esoteric knowledge, and because I passionately celebrate the Sabbats... it is accurate to say that I am Pagan.

I do not follow any religion. I absorb wisdom, lessons, and culture from every religion I Will.

I combine the right hand path and the left hand path. I embrace the "Light Side" as well as the "Dark Side" to create my own side.

I hold in one hand the Sun and in the other the Moon. In other words, I am morally balanced. I revere all that is Celestial and all that is Infernal equally. I find equal value in Order and Chaos, and equal value in Good and Evil.

My religion is ultimate spiritual freedom.

Though because I forge my own spiritual/ religious system, and continue to develop my own rituals and incantations, and because of my eclectic views and esoteric knowledge, and because I passionately celebrate the Sabbats... it is accurate to say that I am Pagan.

That is one opinion about you.

We're having a gathering in early May which I am hoping to attend though my schedule might not permit.

In any case, new converts and those who even think they might be interested in getting back to old-fashioned religion are welcome. Please see the video on the website:

About Beltane at Thornborough

All of those beliefs are scripturally sound, and are why the SBC is so successful. Yes, we believe different people have different roles.

Yes, I don't dispute the more conservative interpretation of scripture. But no musical instruments in some of the churches? That sure wouldn't be true of any Southern Baptists I've ever known, including the one I married, and I know a LOT of Southern Baptists. And they all line dance, square dance I'm pretty sure the SBC has not given an official position on dancing and leaves that up to the local congregations to decide. And while the SBC has taken the position that ordained positions in the church is restricted to men, it does not mandate that as a requirement for local congregations who also decide that issue for their own people. Our last real estate agent, a very lovely lady, was an ordained Deacon in her Southern Baptist congregation in Virginia.

Oddly enough, it was a Buddhist teaching that best explains my Christian faith:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”--attributed to Siddhãrtha Gautama (Buddha):

I have always loved that quote. Unfortunately, its a fake. It's first appearance was in a book from the 1950's. This is the actual quote from the Suttas:

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them.”

It is slightly different, but I think the most important aspect is the same. You have to be true to what you think is right, not simply accept what you are told.

I know there are many who have tried to discredit the quote. And of course, if legitimate, it would have to be a translation as Buddha almost certainly didn't speak English. But there are a lot of credible organizations out there repeating it as authentic too. So who do you believe?

The religion of Buddhism

The Buddha and Critical Thinking

Buddha Quote - Do not believe in anything simply because you have hear

Do not believe Buddha Buddha Station - A Buddhism Tube Site

There are many many more citing the quotation.

Forum List

Back