• Other

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Google. Bing. Yahoo. Wikipedia. Or other. Which is your favorite?

I do a lot of research for my novels and became quite fond of Google and Wikipedia [and Wiktionary]. For some reason, while it's always been on my search tab, I decided to try Bing. I was surprised. Bing Maps is, in some way, far better than Google Maps and has just about the same feature. In fact, the Street Level view on Bing appears easier to use than Google.

So, what's your favorite? And why?

As bad as IE has been (security related) it's gonna take me a while to overcome my distrust of it and anything associated with it (Bing).

Duckduckgo, for privacy reasons.

I am surprised there is one for Bing...I mean....really?
Google was once a benevolent God of the internet. I fell in love with the simplicity of the site "GOOGLE and just the search bar"...it is exactly what I want in a search engine...JUST a search engine. Not blinking ads, animated gifs...drop down mouse hover ads that take over the screen...and news stories. If I want news stories I go to a news site!
Having said this - Google is no longer the benevolent God it once was.
I hate the 1/2 page of paid returns at the top of the result pages that makes you scroll down to see the real results. I hate that it takes content from your gmail account and places ads according to perceived interest. I hate that it takes your search history and cookies and again places ads according to where you have been.
If you have a gmail account...try sending 3-4 emails about..say buying a car...a specific car.
Watch what happens...within 24 hours you will notice the ads you see on the net will be about that car.
That is unacceptable in my opinion.

Google records Google search requests. Google even publishes graphs with most used terms, topics, etc by county. But these records are anonymized after some months.

Forum List

Back