Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Without the woman, there wouldn't BE an egg or fetus.
Her body. Her choice.

No one's talking about her body. She can have an appendectomy any time she likes; I don't care. She can have a sex-change operation and it matters naught to me.

We're talking about a separate organism entirely.

In that case, she has every right to evict that organism if she does not want it inside of her.

Your deflection and failure is so noted here.

We are discussing whether if we force all women to carry the baby to birth, then what responsibility do we have for mother and baby.
I guess I should apologize for not thanking you for the donation to raise my daughter when she was born.
Im sure you sent a rather substantial check.
Very rude of me.
I did not know you were an unwed pregnant mother to be. And if you were, what help did you get?
what does that have to do with anything.
if you are going to pay for one child, you should pay for all. Its only fair. Now write the check.
We all do, through our social contract. You do not get individually to decide as to who is worthy is the point. Hard for you.
where does it say that in the constitution? and were is the social contract I signed or is this something you just made up.
as far as the responsibility? how about the responsibility was not exhibited when the mother spread her legs.
and lets face it, the number of pregnancies due to faulty birth control is very very minimal, the majority are from one night stands or just plain carelessness.

Or the father unzipped his pants.

The woman, in the vast majority of cases, can take care of herself during the pregnancy. Not true for the baby. So the "priority" is the baby. No brainer. Doesn't mean we diminish the mother...she is precious but the concern is the child...in most cases. That's true no matter what Hillary says.

The woman, in the vast majority of cases, can take care of herself during the pregnancy. Not true for the baby. So the "priority" is the baby. No brainer. Doesn't mean we diminish the mother...she is precious but the concern is the child...in most cases. That's true no matter what Hillary says.

That absolutely diminishes her.

Ask the normal mother who has priority.

Ask any woman.

This is a sincere poll. I would appreciate honest answers. If you're willing, I would also appreciate your reasons. I will not criticize your choice. I would just honestly like to know where USMB posters stand on this issue.

NOTE: I know there are many possible variables, but this poll assumes "typical" circumstances. In other words, this is a superficial poll that assumes "normal/average" circumstances - meaning no rape, incest, health, deformity, financial, or other extenuating issues.

This poll is unanswerable because your not clear on wether this is a life or death situation for the mother. If the mother had a medical condition of some sort, just about everyone would pick the woman in your poll

The argument is made that a fetus is not a human being.

I don't know at which stage of life that a fetus becomes a human being if at all.

Only a fool would argue that a fetus isn't a potential human being. I catch hell from the right to lifers, but I consider a fetus a baby when I can hear two heartbeats from a woman.

And you base that arbitrary standard on what science, exactly?

According to science, no one human being has two hearts.

This is a sincere poll. I would appreciate honest answers. If you're willing, I would also appreciate your reasons. I will not criticize your choice. I would just honestly like to know where USMB posters stand on this issue.

NOTE: I know there are many possible variables, but this poll assumes "typical" circumstances. In other words, this is a superficial poll that assumes "normal/average" circumstances - meaning no rape, incest, health, deformity, financial, or other extenuating issues.

Her body. Her choice.

No one's talking about her body. She can have an appendectomy any time she likes; I don't care. She can have a sex-change operation and it matters naught to me.

In that case, she has every right to evict that organism if she does not want it inside of her.

I don't know at which stage of life that a fetus becomes a human being if at all.

Only a fool would argue that a fetus isn't a potential human being. I catch hell from the right to lifers, but I consider a fetus a baby when I can hear two heartbeats from a woman.

except for a pregnant mother, they are attached by an embillical cord, they share everything

except for a pregnant mother, they are attached by an embillical cord, they share everything

Exactly, and that was my point.

Her body. Her choice.

well technically the baby IS part of the mothers body. AND the fathers body. If you dont believe me do a DNA test.
however the moment the baby is born, then yes it is a seperate "organism" like the rest of us

Her body. Her choice.

Ouch!

Laws protect the rights of citizens. Citizens are persons born or naturalized in the United States. That doesn't include fetuses.
Interesting.
Why/how is it then illegal to capture stray cats and burn them alive?
Just like fetuses, cats are not protected by the Constitution, either. However, the difference between fetuses and cats is that cats are protected by animal cruelty laws.

I think it's a shame that a little minnow in California, illegal aliens, and cats enjoy better protection by our government than fetuses do. Induced abortions are barbaric and selfish, and as a Christian, I will always be horrified by them. But we have the laws that we have because we have the government that we have.

I disagree with the statement "because we have the government we have". From my perspective it is, "because the modern American people are the opportunists they are". The Government does enact the will of the people, after all. Exterminate all people 45 and younger and the problem of abortion goes away. See how easy that was?

Ask any woman.
I did...she said the baby.

First priority under what circumstance? If there's a circumstance where being pregnant is putting a woman's life a risk, most people on both sides of the debate can agree the woman's life is the first priority.

In other words, you don't believe the choice is totally up to the woman?

I'd say no more than we think the "choice" to kill any other human being resides solely with the killer-to-be.

Who has the right to force a woman to house a fetus in her body against her will?

Mother Nature.

Her body. Her choice.

Then she probably shouldn't have created it.

If we're going to categorize human beings we consider annoying, useless parasites as "perfectly all right to kill", then you have just invalidated the entire reason YOU are still alive. Tread carefully.

Forum List

Back