White vs. Black

mk159

Rookie
Dec 3, 2014
Why is acceptable for whites to be called whites but African Americans get offended when they are called blacks?

Why is acceptable for whites to be called whites but African Americans get offended when they are called blacks?
I dont get offended and I am Black.
No your African american.
Yes I am.
So..... confusing.....
Only if you have a simple mind. Black or African American are pretty much interchangeable. Think of it like white or (insert European coutnry) american

Ruh roh.

Straw-Man_500.gif

It all has to do with syllables. Really stupid people (like assleper for instance) believe that the more syllables in one's identifier, the more dignity they have. That's why "black", a one-syllable identifier, became African-American, a seven syllable identifier. There are many more examples, transcending just race and culture, that descended on the English language like a malignant pox about 40 years ago. Do you know anyone who's blind? Well they aren't blind you insensitive dolt! Blind only has one syllable. They're visually-challenged now. Those extra six syllables give them so much dignity, although I don't think it does much for their vision. Remember when a clerk was a clerk? One syllable. That'll never do. They're "sales associates" now, five syllables. I'm sure you can think of a hundred more examples of the great plague of syllables.

It all has to do with syllables. Really stupid people (like assleper for instance) believe that the more syllables in one's identifier, the more dignity they have. That's why "black", a one-syllable identifier, became African-American, a seven syllable identifier. There are many more examples, transcending just race and culture, that descended on the English language like a malignant pox about 40 years ago. Do you know anyone who's blind? Well they aren't blind you insensitive dolt! Blind only has one syllable. They're visually-challenged now. Those extra six syllables give them so much dignity, although I don't think it does much for their vision. Remember when a clerk was a clerk? One syllable. That'll never do. They're "sales associates" now, five syllables. I'm sure you can think of a hundred more examples of the great plague of syllables.

That post ^^ for example....

You sound like you are upset that reading is more difficult for you now. :laugh:

Someone typed that out for him. No way he was able to concentrate long enough to do that for himself.

Mmmm...no. If there was an 18-syllable tag for "bore", I'd be happy to assign it to you with all the pomp and dignity it deserved.

They dont stupid...If you asked or knew any blacks you would no that dumbass

I do KNOW black people and they do get offended.
Are they from the US or are they from Africa?

Yea, I'd say assleper is right for a change. I don't know of any black people who are offended by the identifier, "black". It's short, unpretentious, and most of all it's authoritative. I've always liked the word "black", and so do most black people.

I don't know any black folks that are offended at being called black. I've never called or referred to a black person as an "African American" and probably never will......well, unless they actually emigrated from Africa. Reminds me of the case where a White man emigrated from Africa and became a US Citizen. ...

Can a white guy be African-American?

Paulo Serodio says he is.

Born and raised in Mozambique and now a naturalized U.S. citizen, Serodio, 45, has filed a lawsuit against a New Jersey medical school, claiming he was harassed and ultimately suspended for identifying himself during a class cultural exercise as a "white African-American."

"I wouldn't wish this to my worst enemy," he said. "I'm not exaggerating. This has destroyed my life, my career."

The lawsuit, which asks for Serodio's reinstatement at the school and monetary damages, named the Newark-based University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and several doctors and university employees as defendants.

Filed Monday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, the lawsuit traces a series of events that Serodio maintains led to his 2007 suspension, starting with a March 2006 cultural exercise in a clinical skills course taught by Dr. Kathy Ann Duncan, where each student was asked to define themselves for a discussion on culture and medicine.

After Serodio labeled himself as a white African-American, another student said she was offended by his comments and that, because of his white skin, was not an African-American.

White African-American Suing N.J. Med School for Discrimination - ABC News

Forum List

Back