Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball second basemen, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
This one, like my other baseball questions, is about players who played either their whole career or the majority of their career at that position. My top picks are - 1) Rogers Hornsby, easily the best hitting second baseman ever, he finished his career with an eye-popping .358 batting average. And he had a lot of power at the plate. He MAY be in my top 10 MLB players ever. 2) Joe Morgan, one of the sparkplugs of the Cincinnatti Reds' Big Red Big Machine from the late 1960's to the mid to late 1970's, Joe could do it all. He was a good hitter, with good power at the plate, and he was great defensively. He also stole quite a few bases in his career. And he became a very good baseball sportscaster after his playing days were over. 3) Ryne Sandberg, like Joe Morgan, was a good hitter and had very good power for a second baseman. He was also a very fine defensive player. So, here are a few of my favorites, who are some of yours?

This one, like my other baseball questions, is about players who played either their whole career or the majority of their career at that position. My top picks are - 1) Rogers Hornsby, easily the best hitting second baseman ever, he finished his career with an eye-popping .358 batting average. And he had a lot of power at the plate. He MAY be in my top 10 MLB players ever. 2) Joe Morgan, one of the sparkplugs of the Cincinnatti Reds' Big Red Big Machine from the late 1960's to the mid to late 1970's, Joe could do it all. He was a good hitter, with good power at the plate, and he was great defensively. He also stole quite a few bases in his career. And he became a very good baseball sportscaster after his playing days were over. 3) Ryne Sandberg, like Joe Morgan, was a good hitter and had very good power for a second baseman. He was also a very fine defensive player. So, here are a few of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Loved Ryne Sandberg

How do you become a famous ball player and still never got past second base?

hqdefault.jpg

Loved Ryne Sandberg
Me, too. I especially liked him when he played for the Cubs. He and Andre Dawson, and I believe Leon Durham, made for a powerful lineup.

Steve Sax and Roberto Alomar
Two good ones, especially Alomar. Roberto is my #4 pick all-time now, and I'll drop Mazeroski to #5. I can't believe I forgot Alomar! He was absolutely great defensively, and he was a fine hitter, as well. The only reason Rod Carew isn't in my top five is because he played nearly all of the second half of his career at first base.

Steve Sax and Roberto Alomar
Two good ones, especially Alomar. Roberto is my #4 pick all-time now, and I'll drop Mazeroski to #5. I can't believe I forgot Alomar! He was absolutely great defensively, and he was a fine hitter, as well. The only reason Rod Carew isn't in my top five is because he played nearly all of the second half of his career at first base.
A couple interesting things about Rod Carew's career. He's the only player in MLB history to win a batting title despite not hitting any home runs in that season. He did this in the 1972 season, batting .318. And when he hit a blistering .388 to win the batting title in 1977, he hit 14 home runs and had 100 RBI.

Bill Mazeroski, Pittsburgh Pirates. I was in Pittsburgh for his first big league game in 1956. Best 2nd baseman I ever saw.
He hit the 'shot heard round the world's to win the 1960 World series', and man, could he turn a double play.
He still holds the major league record for DPs.

I really am fond of a purty woman, always have been... But a good looking DP stimulates me... :smoke:

Forum List

Back