🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Who Will Go To Heaven?

Originally posted by SinisterMotives
Overpopulation is a good enough reason for natural selection to thin us out a bit. I read an article last night in which the author shows how cooperation arises out of a pool of unanimously selfish entities. He showed that any strategy that doesn't employ "niceness" (i.e., one that is as likely to defect as to cooperate regardless of the other party's move), "retaliation" (i.e., punishes defection with defection), and "forgiveness" (i.e., reverts to cooperation rather than continue to defect after initally punishing defection) will become extinct in the long run. Even if it initially succeeds by taking advantage of "nice" strategies, it will eventually destroy its own food supply, so to speak, and thus kill itself off. It may be that overpopulation, environmental destruction, and overutilization of resources will ultimately prove to be mankind's undoing in a like manner.

I forgive you for your previous punishments and retaliations. Niceness schmiceness.:rolleyes:

I think viral and bacterial mutations are the more likely destructive scenario.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I forgive you for your previous punishments and retaliations. Niceness schmiceness.:rolleyes:

The author stated that "nice" was just a label for the tactic described and didn't mean polite or empathetic. In fact, all of the subjects were completely self-serving. He simply meant that a winning strategy will not defect without a good reason.

Or we may

Get nuked by mullahs.

Have the water all frozen by ice nine.

Evolve into three or more distinct species. One psychic and ultra smart. One animal like, extremely, strong, and psychically controlled by the first species. And a regular species that's middle of the road, and raised as foodstock for the other two.

The author stated that "nice" was just a label for the tactic described and didn't mean polite or empathetic. In fact, all of the subjects were completely self-serving. He simply meant that a winning strategy will not defect without a good reason.

Didn't we already know that?

Originally posted by wonderwench
I think viral and bacterial mutations are the more likely destructive scenario.

Humans initially contracted bubonic plague because rats moved into human habitations as a result of clear cutting forests. AIDS most likely arose when people began coming into closer than normal contact with monkeys that carried it - again as a result of humans encroaching on natural habitats. The virii and bacteria thenselves, while direct causes of death and disease, are consequences of environmental destruction and overpopulation.

Didn't we already know that?

I'd hope you got that picture, but your derisive comment didn't make it clear that you had.

Humans initially contracted bubonic plague because rats moved into human habitations as a result of clear cutting forests. AIDS most likely arose when people began coming into closer than normal contact with monkeys that carried it - again as a result of humans encroaching on natural habitats. The virii and bacteria thenselves, while direct causes of death and disease, are consequences of environmental destruction and overpopulation.

If we were truly visionary, we would hasten the process of exposing ourselves to all the bacterium and virusi we can. It will, in turn, hasten our biological adaptation to these contaminants, and thusly, our rate of evolution. I just yearn so for the future.

I'd hope you got that picture, but your derisive comment didn't make it clear that you had.

If you have something to say say it, you stuporous funker.

If we were truly visionary, we would hasten the process of exposing ourselves to all the bacterium and virusi we can. It will, in turn, hasten our biological adaptation to these contaminants, and thusly, our rate of evolution. I just yearn so for the future.

There is actually a grain of truth to that. Some scientists think that heavy smokers are better able to cope with increased air pollution than non-smokers.

Are you volunteering?

There is actually a grain of truth to that. Some scientists think that heavy smokers are better able to cope with increased air pollution than non-smokers.

I've also heard that Americans have become less resistant to germs from keeping homes to sterile. Children that aren't exposed to a sufficient level of germs do not develop robust immune systems.

If you have something to say say it, you stuporous funker.

What I mean is that your comment "niceness schmiceness" didn't convey any sense of whether you understood. It rather conveyed that you disagreed with the author's claims, although you didn't say why.

Funny you should say that. Since I smoke weed, I'm often hacking up green and black goo. Though I know it's probably damaging, sometimes I feel my lungs are getting "extra good" at cleaning themselves.

I've also heard that Americans have become less resistant to germs from keeping homes to sterile. Children that aren't exposed to a sufficient level of germs do not develop robust immune systems.

I've long thought that myself. Indeed, scientists warn that overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial hand soaps will cause bacteria to become immune to those agents.

Let me guess - Soylent Beige?

Yep. As per hastening our evolution, I'm going to roll them around in the sewer a bit before eating. I put my money where my mouth is. And I eat disease covered chicken nuggets for friends.

Yep. As per hastening our evolution, I'm going to roll them around in the sewer a bit before eating. I put my money where my mouth is. And I eat disease covered chicken nuggets for friends.

Soylent Beige is... chicken?!? :eek:

What I mean is that your comment "niceness schmiceness" didn't convey any sense of whether you understood. It rather conveyed that you disagreed with the author's claims, although you didn't say why.

Oh I understand. It's good?

Forum List

Back