Why an atheist

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!

I am an Atheist, because faith doesn't establish anything.

I don't have his phone number, e-mail or even vapors from this made up being who is believed to have created the king of hate and war, the tree of knowledge that is forbidden to eat from and do nothing for thousands of years while human have wars, pestilence and misery, with no end in sight, what a god!

Since there is no evidence that one of the made up gods are real, I don't waste my time worrying about it.

It feels so good to be a freethinking being, not beholden to politics, ideology and faith, what a life it is to be free of the useless made up crap!

Now the predictable replies will come storming in..... :cool:

If your religion gives you comfort, or you think it gives your life meaning, then I am happy for you. The problem comes when religious people demand that everybody shares their belief. There have been countless wars caused by that.

If your religion gives you comfort, or you think it gives your life meaning, then I am happy for you. The problem comes when religious people demand that everybody shares their belief. There have been countless wars caused by that.

Religion isn't much of a threat in the first world anymore. We're not going back to theocracy.

I don't have his phone number, e-mail or even vapors from this made up being who is believed to have created the king of hate and war, the tree of knowledge that is forbidden to eat from and do nothing for thousands of years while human have wars, pestilence and misery, with no end in sight, what a god!

Since there is no evidence that one of the made up gods are real, I don't waste my time worrying about it.

It feels so good to be a freethinking being, not beholden to politics, ideology and faith, what a life it is to be free of the useless made up crap!

Must suck to be you, knowing when you die, you are only worm food.. Of course if there is a God, then there must be a Lucifer, not knowing could be an eternity that you might not like.

Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals (crossroad.to)
Opening page - Dedication
“Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history... the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.”

I dont believe in religion because that was made by man to control man, but when i saw 3 of my children, those gifts from God, were miracles...

Must suck to be you, knowing when you die, you are only worm food.. Of course if there is a God, then there must be a Lucifer, not knowing could be an eternity that you might not like.

Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals (crossroad.to)
Opening page - Dedication
“Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history... the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.”

I dont believe in religion because that was made by man to control man, but when i saw 3 of my children, those gifts from God, were miracles...

Ha ha ha, I am doing fine.

It is always funny when Christians make these ugly comments about those who don't take their delusion seriously. You insult yourself and your wife by giving credit to a delusion for having children, it was YOUR sperm and HER Egg that made the child, that is the reality you should embrace.

I will go for cremation, will not waste another piece of land to lay a carcass in, that is for religious nuts who don't even realize that body will never be used again, not even your precious wholly babble supports this burial nonsense.

When I was growing up, there were three theories concerning immortality. First, there is the Heaven theory, which holds that immortality is granted by virtue of an agreement made with one's creator. Based on appearances, this agreement boils down to gaining immortality in the next life by accepting the creator's terms of obedient surrender to him in this life. A potential downside for those who go this route is that their eternity will be played out in a landscape of their creator's choosing; and considering its legendary appreciation of the praise and worship of lesser beings than itself, it is likely that its idea of an eternal good time and your idea of an eternal good time are going to be two different things altogether. So, just a heads-up on that.

Religion isn't much of a threat in the first world anymore. We're not going back to theocracy.

Yet there are many who would want our laws defined by their religious beliefs. Gay/trans rights opponents have little more than their religious beliefs to support their goals, as well as those who would deny a woman the right to choose what happens to her own body. Hell, I know lots of Trump supporters who only supported him only because their religious leaders told them that God chose Trump. Religion its self isn't a problem, but religious nuts are.

Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!
..there is no god......believing in god is like believing in fairy tales/etc--plain and simple...
..I've asked a million times for them to prove there is a god--I get:
INSULTS----hahhahaha
babble crap

Yet there are many who would want our laws defined by their religious beliefs. Gay/trans rights opponents have little more than their religious beliefs to support their goals, as well as those who would deny a woman the right to choose what happens to her own body. Hell, I know lots of Trump supporters who only supported him only because their religious leaders told them that God chose Trump. Religion its self isn't a problem, but religious nuts are.

They are losing. Every generation is less and less religious. There are empty churches all over the U.S. They're not a threat anymore.

They are losing. Every generation is less and less religious. There are empty churches all over the U.S. They're not a threat anymore.
you are correct.....and the ones who CLAIM to be religious still murder/rape/rape CHILDREN/rob/SIN/etc

They will not be a threat when they no longer have politicians bowing to their religious demands. Don't misunderstand my remarks. We all want moral representatives, but religion and morals are not the same thing.

I will go you one better. After years of study and exposure to and of religion, I find that I just don't care.

Debate it for amusement, perhaps. But take any religion seriously, not going to happen.

I don't care if others agree with me or not, I just don't care.

I'm a nontheist.

I don't think it matters if there is or isn't some god or gods. I don't think it really matters how the universe began. All that really matters is that we are here and that we strive to live with an attitude of respect, compassion and thankfulness.

What a silly video. Truth is not unchangable. It can change when relavant facts change.
Today is January 31, 2021. That is the truth, for now. Tomorrow will be Feb. 1, 2020 that is also the truth, for now. If I make those same exact statements tomorrow, they will not be the truth.

Morality and religion are indeed different things, but they are inseparable. Morals have to be defined, and religion points to who defines them. Truth is unchangeable, even though facts change. Facts rarely reveal the whole of truth. We aren't capable of fully comprehending all of truth. No one knows what happens after we die. There is a truth - but no one knows it. What we do know is that whenever we trust in other mortal humans to define our morals, corruption always follows. The classical religions serve to inspire us to seek beyond ourselves to find the truth. The facts do change, as more truth is revealed, but none will see it all. That is where faith becomes important. Without faith, there is no reason to exist.

I'll bet your brain overheated coming up with that, dumb ass. Of course it is absolute truth, unless some unquestionable material change occurs to cause it to no longer be true.
I see you didn't watch the video you called silly.

IF atheistic evolution existed, then "Truth" no longer exists. Truth doesn't change.

Forum List

Back