Why an atheist

Any god? Or just the right one? In any way? Or are there just a few correct ways, or even only one? I sense a lot of rules coming down the pike. Like, the goat god that needs baby sacrifices? Hmm, no, that god's no good, right? But what if I insisted he were the ONLY god? Better? No?

Of course people have been doing it since forever. It's an artifact of ego, ignorance, and innate desire to see patterns and to anthropomorphize events in nature. We are basically hardwired to believe utter nonsense. That nonsense helped keep us alive, when we were living a subsistence existence with a 30 year lifespan, spending nearly all our waking hours acquiring food and keeping ourselves alive. The desire to live forever is just an artifact of our sentience. Our introspective self awareness.
Ah. Making the simple complicated. ;)

Ah. Making the simple complicated. ;)
Yes, it would seem simple to someone who thinks he or she knows the one true god and way, I imagine. Which, of course, would be any monotheist that has ever lived. Of course, you can't all be right. At least some of you are just dead wrong.

Ok so no authority, so anything could be OK
Am I right?
Each individual can think ANYTHING is okay, if they like. thought crimes are not crimes. You could try to steal and just "say it's okay", whether it were against the law or not, right?

Eventually, we would make laws against stealing. Because we don't like being stolen from.

Don't you think people kind of know that's wrong, without laws? Even the people who do it and break the law know it is wrong.

Each individual can think ANYTHING is okay, if they like. thought crimes are not crimes. You could try to steal and just "say it's okay", whether it were against the law or not, right?

Eventually, we would make laws against stealing. Because we don't like being stolen from.

Don't you think people kind of know that's wrong, without laws? Even the people who do it and break the law know it is wrong.
I'm glad you posted this. So human sacrifice.....whats your take, it should be legal or illegal?

No I'm asking......should it be legal or illegal......some cultures it was legal.......so who are b you to tell them no
I am exactly nobody to tell them no, and so are you. So yet another place your religion does not help you. They have to decide that for themselves. Which, you know, has actually happened.

Is gay marriage immoral? Some godbotherers would say no. And some atheists might say yes. Who is "the big authority", here? Sorry, but there isn't one. No everlasting sky father nudging us one way or the other. No authoritative human, or dictator. Even if immoral... Should it be illegal? Again, up to you, isn't it? Welcome to adulting. There is no daddy -- in the sky or otherwise -- to make this decision for you.

I am exactly nobody to tell them no, and so are you. So yet another place your religion does not help you. They have to decide that for themselves. Which, you know, has actually happened.

Is gay marriage immoral? Some godbotherers would say no. And some atheists might say yes. Who is "the big authority", here? Sorry, but there isn't one. No everlasting sky father nudging us one way or the other. No authoritative human, or dictator. Even if immoral... Should it be illegal? Again, up to you, isn't it? Welcome to adulting. There is no daddy -- in the sky or otherwise -- to make this decision for you.
So you're against the vaccine mandate?
But youre ok with whatever laws a country has....so the Holocaust was ok?

Slavery was cool?

This is bizarro land......you boxed yourself in. libertarianism is ok, except with moral issues.....

But youre ok with whatever laws a country has....so the Holocaust was ok?
I never said I was okay with everything and anything. You are propping up a strawman. And I certainly don't need to invoke any iron age handbook to know the Holocaust was not okay.

Maybe you do...? Are you telling on yourself? Can you not imagine any way to find the Holocaust morally reprehensible, without the iron age handbook showing you the way to do so?

You are the one with the moral handicap and deficit, in that case. Not me.

Yes, it would seem simple to someone who thinks he or she knows the one true god and way, I imagine. Which, of course, would be any monotheist that has ever lived. Of course, you can't all be right. At least some of you are just dead wrong.
You miss the point. Seek and find God instead of laying out every reason you can think of why you don't want to do it.

I never said I was okay with everything and anything. You are propping up a strawman. And I certainly don't need to invoke any iron age handbook to know the Holocaust was not okay.

Maybe you do...? Are you telling on yourself? Can you not imagine any way to find the Holocaust morally reprehensible, without the iron age handbook showing you the way to do so?

You are the one with the moral handicap and deficit, in that case. Not me.
Sure, but I asked you with no God, how do you determine morality?
The point is, different societies have deemed awful things ok......soooooo what's the basis to say they are wrong ?

Sure, but I asked you with no God, how do you determine morality?
The point is, different societies have deemed awful things ok......soooooo what's the basis to say they are wrong ?

Why must morality come from God? Clearly it was In humans before God was invented.
I'm an atheist and I'll bet my morals are the equal if not better than any godbotherer. People who teach little kids about hell and sin have no morality.
They are legalised child abusers.

Why must morality come from God? Clearly it was In humans before God was invented.
I'm an atheist and I'll bet my morals are the equal if not better than any godbotherer. People who teach little kids about hell and sin have no morality.
They are legalised child abusers.
I doubt it.....Who is the authority......who tells someone they're wrong?

Again NAZI Germany had the Holocaust, without God, which the NAZIs were......they didn't think killing Jews was theybwerebt human to the NAZIs so they didn't count......who do you go to if you govt does that?

I doubt it.....Who is the authority......who tells someone they're wrong?

The law is there for criminals who commit crimes. When was the last time you consulted God get your actions verified? Never. You already know what us right and wrong.
It's the same as if there's no reason for us to be here without God, as they say.
If you can't find that reason, and I know you can't, go and suicide and see if that proves there is no God.
It proves nothing because there is nothing to prove. We evolved here and that's why. No interference from any silly god whatsoever. If we were dumped here by God, what is your purpose that you received from your God?
Nothing. The same origins as morals. L

Again NAZI Germany had the Holocaust, without God, which the NAZIs were......they didn't think killing Jews was theybwerebt human to the NAZIs so they didn't count......who do you go to if you govt does that?

That's a very poor, old excuse to hate atheists. Why do you think it would never have happen if God was present? There's no evidence to say atheism creates violence etc. I'm not a violent person and there was plenty of religion there at the time.
God doesn't stop wars and the lengthy history of wars fought in the name of God including millions that died, proves God is irrelevant. In the old testament you can read how your God sentenced thousands to death by slaughter.
Wheres your theory that God protected those people against the evils of, not atheism, BUT THAT MERCIFUL GOD YOU BELIEVE IN.
You must see your logic is seriously flawed. If your God had any morals it would never have happened yet here you are suggesting he is the giver of morals.

Can't you see how ridiculous you sound?

If your religion gives you comfort, or you think it gives your life meaning, then I am happy for you. The problem comes when religious people demand that everybody shares their belief. There have been countless wars caused by that.
Zip it and get the vaccine or lose everything.

Yea, the Left is all about not demanding everyone think the same things.

Zip it and get the vaccine or lose everything.

Yea, the Left is all about not demanding everyone think the same things.
We don't get to vote on who gets the virus and dies. Whether more than 700,000 are already dead doesn't depend on what you think. We have a national health crisis so yes, you need to zip it and take the vaccination just like every kid that has started school has for the last 50 years.

Welcome to adulting. There is no daddy -- in the sky or otherwise -- to make this decision for you.
This is a key point. Parents, other caretakers, and peers vastly perform this function for children. "Brush your teeth. Clean up your room." And then one hopefully, eventually grows up and stops trying to blame their lack of critical thinking abilities on "NAZI Germany", atheists, gays, women, immigrants,.. the kitchen sink if need be.

Forum List

Back