Why are conservatives clueless about our Constitution?

The Founders wrote the greatest political document in the world so that there would be checks and balances in the power of the federal government. The more democrats whine about "cooperation" the more pathetic they look.

Another example of Republican refusal to compromise

Ten-to-one isn 8217 t good enough for the GOP Political Animal The Washington Monthly

I’m going to ask a question to everyone here on the stage. Say you had a deal, a real spending cuts deal, 10-to-1, as Byron said, spending cuts to tax increases…. Who on this stage would walk away from that deal? Can you raise your hand if you feel so strongly about not raising taxes, you’d walk away on the 10-to-1 deal?”
All eight candidates raised their hand. Literally all of them, if offered a debt-reduction deal that’s 10-to-1 in their favor, would simply refuse.
And yet, as of last night, every Republican running for president believes a 10-to-1 ratio simply isn’t good enough. What’s more, as the video shows, the crowd of Iowa Republicans roared with approval.

Conservatives wrap themselves in the Constitution and act like they are the only ones concerned with the founders principles in crafting this great document

The key component of our Constitution that Conservatives have declared war on is the idea of compromise. Our founders created a form of governent that was built on the assumption that there would be compromise. Congressmen and Senators must compromise with each other to craft a bill and get it passed....

I will give you this if you will give me that

That is how our government has functioned for hundreds of years. Instead, Conservatives have instituted a policy of....If I don't get my way, nothing will get done

That attitude is an insult to our founders who formed our very government out of compromise

You have it backwards. It's the democrats who won't compromise. Obama said it best when he told the GOP that he won the election and they lost, and that they had to take a back seat.

Somehow Republicans thought they could still call the shots even though they had been soundly beaten

Republicans were still in a position to get what they wanted in the Stimulus (more tax cuts and more state control) and in Obamacare (again tax incentives, tort reform and interstate insurance sales)

But again, Republicans insisted on calling all the shots or nothing....they ended up with nothing

Obamacare would be a fundamental wrong as a conservative. The idea of "national" health care and government control would be anathema to conservatives.

Its like if we could repeal abortion, what would the democrats accept as "reasonable" when discussing it?

Mark

That is why there was no universal healthcare or Government option in the bill

Why would conservatives oppose health exchanges? They were a key part of the Heritage proposed healthcare and Romney care

Yet when Obama proposes health exchanges, conservatives are outraged

I believe government bailouts changes the way conservatives thought about government.

That was the impetus, IMO.

Mark

Conservatives wrap themselves in the Constitution and act like they are the only ones concerned with the founders principles in crafting this great document

The key component of our Constitution that Conservatives have declared war on is the idea of compromise. Our founders created a form of governent that was built on the assumption that there would be compromise. Congressmen and Senators must compromise with each other to craft a bill and get it passed....

That is how our government has functioned for hundreds of years. Instead, Conservatives have instituted a policy of....If I don't get my way, nothing will get done

That attitude is an insult to our founders who formed our very government out of compromise

You have it backwards. It's the democrats who won't compromise. Obama said it best when he told the GOP that he won the election and they lost, and that they had to take a back seat.

Somehow Republicans thought they could still call the shots even though they had been soundly beaten

Republicans were still in a position to get what they wanted in the Stimulus (more tax cuts and more state control) and in Obamacare (again tax incentives, tort reform and interstate insurance sales)

But again, Republicans insisted on calling all the shots or nothing....they ended up with nothing

Obamacare would be a fundamental wrong as a conservative. The idea of "national" health care and government control would be anathema to conservatives.

Its like if we could repeal abortion, what would the democrats accept as "reasonable" when discussing it?

Mark

Go for it. I'm a pro-life Leftie. I don't like abortion at all. Only the most extreme cases of imminent death to the mother or signs that the fetus has already died can I accept abortion as a necessary procedure.

Then you are in a minority. A minority that the Democrats will not accept. I am talking about the "big picture" in this case.

Mark

Another example of Conservatives refusing to compromise is the Grover Norquist "No new taxes" pledge

100% adherence or else there is a political price to pay

Bring the country to war? No new taxes
National disaster? No new taxes
Balance the budget? Do it with no new taxes

Zero room for compromise no matter how important it is to the American people

There is nothing more important than controlling the debt.

Nothing.

A financial collapse means the end of the United States.

Mark

Another example of Conservatives refusing to compromise is the Grover Norquist "No new taxes" pledge

Nothing.

Mark
If thats the case, why not attack debt at both ends?

Spending cuts AND Tax increases?

Ten-to-one isn 8217 t good enough for the GOP Political Animal The Washington Monthly

I’m going to ask a question to everyone here on the stage. Say you had a deal, a real spending cuts deal, 10-to-1, as Byron said, spending cuts to tax increases…. Who on this stage would walk away from that deal? Can you raise your hand if you feel so strongly about not raising taxes, you’d walk away on the 10-to-1 deal?”
All eight candidates raised their hand. Literally all of them, if offered a debt-reduction deal that’s 10-to-1 in their favor, would simply refuse.
And yet, as of last night, every Republican running for president believes a 10-to-1 ratio simply isn’t good enough. What’s more, as the video shows, the crowd of Iowa Republicans roared with approval.

Like I stated earlier, the left has gotten what they wanted for decades. And now that the right finally says "enough", we get hounded for not compromising.

I'll make you a deal. First, you guys start compromising back, then we can talk.

Mark

Nothing.

Mark

Because we don't need more taxes. We need to cut spending. Americans wages have stagnated since the 1970's, we can't afford all these programs.

Mark

Like I stated earlier, the left has gotten what they wanted for decades. And now that the right finally says "enough", we get hounded for not compromising.

I'll make you a deal. First, you guys start compromising back, then we can talk.

Mark

You said debt reduction was important to you

Offering a 10-1 spending cut to tax increase debt reduction IS a huge compromise
Yet the right would rather get nothing than offer a single dollar in tax increases

To Conservatives - the Constitution means whatever they "think" it means - even to the ones who've never read it.

Mark

That is why there was no universal healthcare or Government option in the bill

Why would conservatives oppose health exchanges? They were a key part of the Heritage proposed healthcare and Romney care

Yet when Obama proposes health exchanges, conservatives are outraged

Who said we liked Romny care? No one did dumbass.

I swear to god if you left wing morons didn't have strawman arguments, you have nothing to say at all.

Actually, they created the Constitution with the knowledge that you can't trust people in power...there fore they established checks on the power of the federal authority and they tried to maintain a balance of power between the branches of government by making them competitors in power, not allies...each branch they knew would try to encroach on the other branches...and that desire to keep their own power would be a check on each other...

That is also why they split the power into 3 co equal branches with different responsiblities...working together was not the primary directive...keeping them from abusing their power was....

Read a little deeper next time...

Question to conservatives:

Do you believe our Constitutional framework is capable of functioning without compromise?

Actually, they created the Constitution with the knowledge that you can't trust people in power...there fore they established checks on the power of the federal authority and they tried to maintain a balance of power between the branches of government by making them competitors in power, not allies...each branch they knew would try to encroach on the other branches...and that desire to keep their own power would be a check on each other...

That is also why they split the power into 3 co equal branches with different responsiblities...working together was not the primary directive...keeping them from abusing their power was....

Read a little deeper next time...

Very good point

And how do those checks and balances work? Compromise

President wants a bill to go through Congress, he has to compromise to get it
Congress is facing a veto of legislation? They compromise to prevent a veto

I give you this....you give me that

The basis of our Constitutional framework

I swear to god if you left wing morons didn't have strawman arguments, you have nothing to say at all.

Can you explain where the strawman is to the nice people on the board?

Last edited:

Because the greedy corrupt politicians will not use any money coming in to reduce the debt...they are genetically incapable of being fiscally responsible, there fore the only way to deal with the issue is to cut off the money...the only way...other than to lower taxes and regulations to allow more businesses to be created and increase tax revenue due to growth at the lower tax rates...

And how do those checks and balances work? Compromise

Wrong, they work by exploiting the desire for power among those who seek public office...all three branches will seek to be more powerful than the constitution allows...so each is jealous of their own power and will protect it from the other 2...does that sound like compromise to you...

Forum List

Back