Why are Republicans being blamed for this shutdown?

The history of government shut downs is irrelevant.

The right has framed this debate entirely on Obamacare, betting everything on people agreeing with the party line fear of Obamacare being the single most important issue in the country.

People are blaming republicans because they've owned it already. Republicans have made it clear that destroying Obamacare is more important than the government continuing to function.

It is relevant Doc!

Where have you been the past 37 years? Is a "law" more important than funding the government? It appears this question applies to both sides, not just Republicans.

Government shutdowns from 20-40 years ago are not really relevant. Public opinion doesn't last that long. There are millions of voters today who don't even remember the last shutdown.

I'm not attempting to make an argument about who's "fault" it really is, now or then. I'm talking about public opinion.

And this time, public opinion is decidedly against you guys.

"I find that ...Those folks on the other side of this building [sic] telling us that if we don't play by their rules, that it's "our way or the highway" and if the government is shut down, it's on you" to be appalling to me."

Congressman Rob Woodall

Okay? :confused:

Hopefully he's from a district where this political stunt will help him out I guess...

You didn't even address the point he made. He's from my state. He'll get re-elected for it. Book it.

That quote could have been made by anyone on either side, and be just as relevant.

We're talking "present tense" bud. You pubs hold the house and are the ones failing the nation right now. :cool:

Next.

Present tense is that you guys haven't passed a budget in 5 years, your side controls the Senate which refused to accept a bill fully funding the rest of the government because they got pissy about obamacare and now you don't want to take responsiblity for your actions. It's all on you.

Next

The right has framed this debate entirely on Obamacare, betting everything on people agreeing with the party line fear of Obamacare being the single most important issue in the country.

People are blaming republicans because they've owned it already. Republicans have made it clear that destroying Obamacare is more important than the government continuing to function.

It is relevant Doc!

Where have you been the past 37 years? Is a "law" more important than funding the government? It appears this question applies to both sides, not just Republicans.

Government shutdowns from 20-40 years ago are not really relevant. Public opinion doesn't last that long. There are millions of voters today who don't even remember the last shutdown.

I'm not attempting to make an argument about who's "fault" it really is, now or then. I'm talking about public opinion.

Well then if you want to talk about public opinion:

Why does most of the American public disagree with Obamacare then?

Last edited:

Hopefully he's from a district where this political stunt will help him out I guess...

You didn't even address the point he made. He's from my state. He'll get re-elected for it. Book it.

That quote could have been made by anyone on either side, and be just as relevant.

And? So why is only one side being blamed for it then? Isn't that a bit narrow minded? (Not you, just in general)

"I find that ...Those folks on the other side of this building [sic] telling us that if we don't play by their rules, that it's "our way or the highway" and if the government is shut down, it's on you" to be appalling to me."

Congressman Rob Woodall

"Our way or the highway" is what the Democrats are doing? It's republicans who shut the government down. Over something approved by the legislature, the judiciary, and the executive branch.

So your boy Woodall will get reelected for halting paychecks and hurting the economy for a few days... Way to go :cool:

We're talking "present tense" bud. You pubs hold the house and are the ones failing the nation right now. :cool:

Next.

Present tense is that you guys haven't passed a budget in 5 years, your side controls the Senate which refused to accept a bill fully funding the rest of the government because they got pissy about obamacare and now you don't want to take responsiblity for your actions. It's all on you.

Next
Thoughts from inside "the bubble", where Reagen single handidly brought down the Soviet Empire, GW was a pretty good president, and tax cuts to billionares trickle down to the middle class like a waterfall.

Next.

Next
Thoughts from inside "the bubble", where Reagen single handidly brought down the Soviet Empire, GW was a pretty good president, and tax cuts to billionares trickle down to the middle class like a waterfall.

Were we even talking about Reagan? Or class warfare? Please move on. We will not lend your non sequiturs any credence.

You act as if the entire government, the IRS and 1200 other organizations are exempt from the obiecare the dems are insisting the rest of us live with doesn't matter. The same obiecare that is causing new hires not being done, people pushed down to 28 hours per week, and the boom of only part time workers. But not the government, they need an exception.

How about the dems just make one concession. Every government employee must sign up for obiecare. As a matter of fact I'm thinking the entire government should be the first to sign up with obie going to the exchanges first thing in the morning.

Lead by example, don't lead by I don't want no part of that.

See the 2012 Election.

Obama ran on a promise to implement ObamaCare.

Romney ran on a promise to repeal ObamaCare.

Americans had a choice and they voted for Obama.

5,000,000 more Americans voted for Obama.

Fast forward to today. The Republicans overturned our Democracy and the will of the people by shutting down government over an issue that was settled in the 2012 election.

ObamaCare was Constitutionally passed into Law.

The Republicans have contempt for the Constitution.

The Republicans have contempt for our Democratic system of laws.

psst. The state of Kentucky is allowing its citizens to sign up for affordable health care tomorrow. Hard working Americans families who lacked health care will now have it. This is a Red State. Many of these people are poor Conservatives, but they want to take care of their children. They're going to accept ObamaCare just like the millions of Conservative seniors in Florida have for ages gladly accepted Medicare. They're going to accept ObamaCare just like Ayn Rand cashed her Social Security checks. This is what Republican do. They suck at the government teet, and they cry like babies about it.

Last edited:

"Our way or the highway" is what the Democrats are doing? It's republicans who shut the government down. Over something approved by the legislature, the judiciary, and the executive branch.

So your boy Woodall will get reelected for halting paychecks and hurting the economy for a few days... Way to go :cool:

This "law" was approved by one party. ONE. It was not passed in a bipartisan manner. Not in the slightest. But if you really want to get technical, Democrats paved the road to this shutdown 4 years ago when they passed the thing.

A) As I said previously, it was passed by one party.

B) Kennedy ruled that Obamacare was "a tax" and therefore fell inside constitutional bounds. There is no language in the ACA that defines it as such. You can spin it all you want. But no dice.

C) Obama does not get to pass laws, he can propose them. He took the liberty to change the law himself, which he is not allowed to. So don't lecture me about adhering to the "law" when the President and his party by their own actions have essentially nullified it.

D) And what's hurting the economy for a few days, as compared to hurting it for the past 5 years?

Last edited:
It is relevant Doc!

Why do most of the American public disagree with Obamacare then?

Cause it's a shitty law.

But the republicans are betting everything on that public dislike of Obamacare being more important issue in the average American's mind - which is almost certainly a bet that they're going to lose.

Do you really think that the average American is going to dislike Obamacare more than they're going dislike a government shutdown?

And? So why is only one side being blamed for it then? Isn't that a bit narrow minded? (Not you, just in general)

Who it's being blamed on is a matter of public relations, not reality.

The reality of the situation is that both sides share equal blame.

Cause it's a shitty law.

But the republicans are betting everything on that public dislike of Obamacare being more important issue in the average American's mind - which is almost certainly a bet that they're going to lose.

Do you really think that the average American is going to dislike Obamacare more than they're going dislike a government shutdown?

They can witness the law's impact firsthand today as the exchanges take effect. When the impact reaches their wallet and has them sitting on their sofa instead of in a cubicle at work, then you will get an answer to your question.

Last edited:

Cause it's a shitty law.

They can witness the law's impact firsthand today as the exchanges take place. When the impact reaches their wallet and has them sitting on their sofa instead of in a cubicle at work, then you will get an answer to your question.

Actually, that's gonna be a really big problem for Republicans.

The exchanges aren't the part of Obamacare that people don't like. Those (The mandates and fines) won't come into play until the end of the year, or a few years down the road.

The exchanges are going to be net positive, in terms of public opinion of Obamacare.

Cause it's a shitty law.

They can witness the law's impact firsthand today as the exchanges take place. When the impact reaches their wallet and has them sitting on their sofa instead of in a cubicle at work, then you will get an answer to your question.

Actually, that's gonna be a really big problem for Republicans.

The exchanges aren't the part of Obamacare that people don't like. Those (The mandates and fines) won't come into play until the end of the year, or a few years down the road.

The exchanges are going to be net positive, in terms of public opinion of Obamacare.

So this is a problem for Republicans, how exactly? Could you explain in detail?

See the 2012 Election.

Obama ran on a promise to implement ObamaCare.

Romney ran on a promise to repeal ObamaCare.

Americans had a choice and they voted for Obama.

5,000,000 more Americans voted for Obama.

Fast forward to today. The Republicans overturned our Democracy and the will of the people by shutting down government over an issue that was settled in the 2012 election.

ObamaCare was Constitutionally passed into Law.

The Republicans have contempt for the Constitution.

The Republicans have contempt for our Democratic system of laws.

psst. The state of Kentucky is allowing its citizens to sign up for affordable health care tomorrow. Hard working Americans families who lacked health care will now have it. This is a Red State. Many of these people are poor Conservatives, but they want to take care of their children. They're going to accept ObamaCare just like the millions of Conservative seniors in Florida have for ages gladly accepted Medicare. They're going to accept ObamaCare just like Ayn Rand cashed her Social Security checks. This is what Republican do. They suck at the government teet, and they cry like babies about it.

PSSST!

Those last two assertions of yours? Democrats have just as much if not more contempt for the Constitution. And if the Democrats had such reverence for the law, why did Obama break his oath and amend or delay the ACA? Keep those lies to yourself.

Forum List

Back