Why are the R lynching Michael Steele?

He also claims that gays have no choice but to be gay.

I don't think he's an idiot, and apart from his shaky deals with his sister, I think his main problem is that he's more of a conservative than the FAUX cons that run the GOP. The GOP really has no use for conservatives.

I'm not sure what steele is, other than a political opportunist. He flip flops more than John McCain or Mitt Romney.

First he said he supported choice for women. Then he backpedaled and said he supported a constitutional ban on abortion.

He said rush limbaugh was hateful, then he went on bended knee to apologize to fat ass.

I think steele is prone to sticking his foot in his mouth, and then flip flopping to please the right wing base and curry favor with them.

What you folks on the left don't understand is that many Repubs hold a much more nuanced position on abortion than the lefties do. What Steele said about abortion is consistent. He didn't say he favor a Constitutional ban, he said he favored overturning Roe. There is a difference. With Roe overturned, the question devolves to the states to choose whether the attitudes and morals of their states are consistent with offering abortion services and if so what the nature and character of those services will be. This is where Steele and many other Repubs feel the decision should be made. Instead of having 9 lawyers in Washington decide what's best for every community in the whole US.

That said, living close to Maryland, where Steele was Lt. Gov., I've had an opportunity to listen to him over the years. I've been underwhelmed by him. I wish him the best, but I've had questions about his adherence to Conservative principles through the years.

bullshit.

If you think allowing 200 mostly white, and mostly overweight men in a state legislature decide whether the women of a state have a right to choice, then you don't support women's choice at all

there's not a damn thing nuanced about it. You support a few hundred male state legislators making decisions for women about their own reproductive biology.

Should we put male reproductive biology to a vote in a state legislature?

Here's the conversation. He doesn't really make any sense as he goes from saying it is the individual's choice to saying it is the state's choice.

Steele: "The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other."
DePaulo: "Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?"
Steele: "Yeah. I mean, again, I think that's an individual choice."
DePaulo: "You do?"
Steele: "Yeah. Absolutely."
DePaulo: "Are you saying you don't want to overturn Roe v. Wade?"
Steele: "I think Roe v. Wade--as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter."
DePaulo: "Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?"
Steele: "The states should make that choice. That's what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide."

Here's the conversation. He doesn't really make any sense as he goes from saying it is the individual's choice to saying it is the state's choice.

Steele: "The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other."
DePaulo: "Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?"
Steele: "Yeah. I mean, again, I think that's an individual choice."
DePaulo: "You do?"
Steele: "Yeah. Absolutely."
DePaulo: "Are you saying you don't want to overturn Roe v. Wade?"
Steele: "I think Roe v. Wade--as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter."
DePaulo: "Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?"
Steele: "The states should make that choice. That's what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide."

He's either a fucking idiot.

Or, he's trying to cover his tracks, and have it both ways.

and I don't really think he's an idiot. I think he's your stardard republican who is afraid of looking TOO extreme to independent voters, by pretending women's choice will somehow be protected

I was astounded when I heard that Steele had the stones to say what he said.

There's hope for the GOP, yet.

I wonder, I seriously wonder, what's happening in the shadows in the corridors of powwer, right now.

Could this be a serious coupe d' etat of the East coast Republican bluebloods to take back the GOP from the religious right which are, I think, really based on the American South and Southwest?

Is power poltical power shifting back to the NorthEast for the Rs and Northern Midwest for the Ds, or is this and Obama's winning the Ds just coincidence?

I cannot believe that a man like Steele accidently started a firestorm in the GOP.

And let's face it, the East Coast moderate Republicans must be sick to death of taking marching orders from the newbies (from their perspecitive) that seem to have taken over the R party in the last thirty years or so.

If the East Coast, country club Repubs take over the party its a complete and utter capitulation. The Republican party will be relegated to the scrap heap of history as "also rans." The country doesn't need two flavors of Democrat party - Full strength and decaf. If there are only going to be two parties then they actually have to stand for different things.

I can understand that complaint because in some ways I think you're exactly right.

But if the east coat bluyebloods lose their grasp of that party, then it is a party of clueless populists who think that Rush Limbough has a clue about anything but how to stoke the fires of liberal hatred.

He doesn't know shit and the Republican party will die a slightly different death if HE take charge of it.

The Republicans unholy alliance of the the blueblood Republicans elitists, and the populist bible thumping neocons was never very stable to be begin with.

As we're witnessing right now.
\

I don't completely disagree with your analysis. A bit over simplified when it comes to who is in the party and what they think. But look, the liberal wing (bluebloods) are for illegal immigration (good for business doncha know), for increased government regulation, for tax and spend fiscal policies and are generally far more Machiavellian in their attitudes and policies. Also, I think you have it wrong about where neo-cons come from. The bluebloods can up with that theory as an militaristic adjunct to their "free markets" philosophy. If we turn other countries into democracies, we'll have more markets to sell to. (Good for business doncha know).

As to the Bible thumpers, they are as poisonous in large doses as the bluebloods.

I think the solution is strengthening the libertarian part of the Repub party and have a little flavoring from the thumpers and bluebloods. Just a little around the edges. Where the party has gotten into trouble is allowing either of those wings to have too much say so in policies or ideas.

I'm not sure what steele is, other than a political opportunist. He flip flops more than John McCain or Mitt Romney.

First he said he supported choice for women. Then he backpedaled and said he supported a constitutional ban on abortion.

He said rush limbaugh was hateful, then he went on bended knee to apologize to fat ass.

I think steele is prone to sticking his foot in his mouth, and then flip flopping to please the right wing base and curry favor with them.

What you folks on the left don't understand is that many Repubs hold a much more nuanced position on abortion than the lefties do. What Steele said about abortion is consistent. He didn't say he favor a Constitutional ban, he said he favored overturning Roe. There is a difference. With Roe overturned, the question devolves to the states to choose whether the attitudes and morals of their states are consistent with offering abortion services and if so what the nature and character of those services will be. This is where Steele and many other Repubs feel the decision should be made. Instead of having 9 lawyers in Washington decide what's best for every community in the whole US.

That said, living close to Maryland, where Steele was Lt. Gov., I've had an opportunity to listen to him over the years. I've been underwhelmed by him. I wish him the best, but I've had questions about his adherence to Conservative principles through the years.

bullshit.

If you think allowing 200 mostly white, and mostly overweight men in a state legislature decide whether the women of a state have a right to choice, then you don't support women's choice at all

there's not a damn thing nuanced about it. You support a few hundred male state legislators making decisions for women about their own reproductive biology.

Should we put male reproductive biology to a vote in a state legislature?

If you have mostly male legislators in your state, that's your fault. Don't blame me.

I was astounded when I heard that Steele had the stones to say what he said.

There's hope for the GOP, yet.

I wonder, I seriously wonder, what's happening in the shadows in the corridors of powwer, right now.

Could this be a serious coupe d' etat of the East coast Republican bluebloods to take back the GOP from the religious right which are, I think, really based on the American South and Southwest?

Is power poltical power shifting back to the NorthEast for the Rs and Northern Midwest for the Ds, or is this and Obama's winning the Ds just coincidence?

I cannot believe that a man like Steele accidently started a firestorm in the GOP.

And let's face it, the East Coast moderate Republicans must be sick to death of taking marching orders from the newbies (from their perspecitive) that seem to have taken over the R party in the last thirty years or so.

Steele also said homosexuals can no more stop being homosexual than he can stop being black. the equation of sexuality and race goes against everything the GOP has espoused for years.

Interesting analysis of yours, though. I suspect the eastern intellectual repubs ARE going to try to get the party back and re-create it in the image of people like rockefeller and javits or maybe even goldwater, etc. Whether they can do that is an entirely different question since, if you look at the repubs who kept their seats in the last election, they are the far right, southern, religious right republicans.

Steele is either brilliant or hugely stupid and about to be tossed on his keester.

If Steele is tossed, then the Repuyblican party is doomed to become marginalized by the most radical elements of its party, I suspect.

It would be like if the Dems elected to put me in charge of it, only without any intellectual horsepower driving the issues.

The GOP is running low on minority support! Powell jumped ship! Condi's not existence during the election process was the equivalent of endorsing Obama. If Steele pushed out, expect that to even effect the Latino vote!

Florida GOP demanding unwavering support for Steele.:eusa_whistle:

I'm really glad that we have the comic relief of the Republican meltdown to cheer us in these bleak times.

Let's see... You have no Republicans saying that we don't like him... You have only the asshats saying we don't like him. Interesting.

I was at his event last night. I must say, we are happy to have him as our chairman.

Unless you're a Republican STFU about what the Republicans are doing. You don't know.

Listen folks a republican who thought on their own would have to be shot, in order to join the sect known as the republican party one must denounce reason and sanity and worship at the altar of Rush. Republicans remind me of Maoist youth, great readers of the red books that go by the names, National review, Newsmax, Freerepublic, Townhall, Real Clear Politics, Human Events, redstate, Or Hannity Limbaugh Savage Coulter.

Steele also said homosexuals can no more stop being homosexual than he can stop being black. the equation of sexuality and race goes against everything the GOP has espoused for years.

Interesting analysis of yours, though. I suspect the eastern intellectual repubs ARE going to try to get the party back and re-create it in the image of people like rockefeller and javits or maybe even goldwater, etc. Whether they can do that is an entirely different question since, if you look at the repubs who kept their seats in the last election, they are the far right, southern, religious right republicans.

Steele is either brilliant or hugely stupid and about to be tossed on his keester.

If Steele is tossed, then the Repuyblican party is doomed to become marginalized by the most radical elements of its party, I suspect.

It would be like if the Dems elected to put me in charge of it, only without any intellectual horsepower driving the issues.

The GOP is running low on minority support! Powell jumped ship! Condi's not existence during the election process was the equivalent of endorsing Obama. If Steele pushed out, expect that to even effect the Latino vote!

I should explain something to you.

Black voters aren't going to vote GOP because the GOP has a black RNC chairman. Even if he's supposedly down with hip hop, and even if rightwing, ultra white Rep. Michelle Bachman yells out "You DA Man Michael!" at a GOP event on CSPAN, in a pathetic attempt to look hip.

Nobody other than political message board afficianados and political junkies know who michael steele is. The "hip hop" community doesn't give a shit about him. Black people aren't stupid. They're not going to vote for a party because they put a black face on TV. Just like women weren't stupid enough to vote for mccain because he put a female on his ticket.

Black people will vote GOP when they feel the GOP addresses some of their interests....when the GOP goes back to being the Party of Eisenhower, not the party of Rush Limbaugh, and George Bush.

Last edited:
Listen folks a republican who thought on their own would have to be shot, in order to join the sect known as the republican party one must denounce reason and sanity and worship at the altar of Rush. Republicans remind me of Maoist youth, great readers of the red books that go by the names, National review, Newsmax, Freerepublic, Townhall, Real Clear Politics, Human Events, redstate, Or Hannity Limbaugh Savage Coulter.

Poppycock

If the East Coast, country club Repubs take over the party its a complete and utter capitulation. The Republican party will be relegated to the scrap heap of history as "also rans." The country doesn't need two flavors of Democrat party - Full strength and decaf. If there are only going to be two parties then they actually have to stand for different things.

I can understand that complaint because in some ways I think you're exactly right.

But if the east coat bluyebloods lose their grasp of that party, then it is a party of clueless populists who think that Rush Limbough has a clue about anything but how to stoke the fires of liberal hatred.

He doesn't know shit and the Republican party will die a slightly different death if HE take charge of it.

The Republicans unholy alliance of the the blueblood Republicans elitists, and the populist bible thumping neocons was never very stable to be begin with.

\

I don't completely disagree with your analysis. A bit over simplified when it comes to who is in the party and what they think. But look, the liberal wing (bluebloods) are for illegal immigration (good for business doncha know), for increased government regulation, for tax and spend fiscal policies and are generally far more Machiavellian in their attitudes and policies. Also, I think you have it wrong about where neo-cons come from. The bluebloods can up with that theory as an militaristic adjunct to their "free markets" philosophy. If we turn other countries into democracies, we'll have more markets to sell to. (Good for business doncha know).

As to the Bible thumpers, they are as poisonous in large doses as the bluebloods.

I think the solution is strengthening the libertarian part of the Repub party and have a little flavoring from the thumpers and bluebloods. Just a little around the edges. Where the party has gotten into trouble is allowing either of those wings to have too much say so in policies or ideas.

I agree with you completely on this. The left has done an excellent job of painting a stereotype of conservatives that's been swallowed whole by their majority who apparently can't seem to think for themselves. The left is always talking about the 'moral majority' on the right and how the 'religious right' is trying to cram their 'morals' down everyone else's throat. Yet whenever I ask someone who espouses these thoughts what exactly is being crammed down their throats via someone else's religious doctrine, they never have an answer for me. Those on the left are just as guilty of trying to cram their ideologies and principles down everyone else's throat (i.e. gun control, hate speech, environmentalism, higher taxes to pay for their 'causes', etc..) and because it's not hooked to a so called 'religion', then apparently it's okay for them to do it. They've been very clever to paint conservative ideology or values as 'religious' for their crutch or reason to oppose it. I'm tired of the double standard. I am against abortion because I see it as murder, it has nothing to do with religion. Why someone who opposes abortion is automatically labeled by the left as the 'religious right' for opposing something that is the murder of a child is very apparent when you look at their agenda. If they don't tie it to religion, then they have to accept it as a legitimate point of view, but the minute it's tied to religion then it can be dismissed as a luny religious person trying to push their values on everyone else. The conservative party needs to untie these binds that the left has carefully created over the last several decades and start speaking to this more.

You don't have a clue what's happening in the Republican party. As a Republican I can tell you we are very much thinking for ourselves and will be cutting out the RINO's.

I should explain something to you.

Black voters aren't going to vote GOP because the GOP has a black RNC chairman. Even if he's supposedly down with hip hop, and even if rightwing, ultra white Rep. Michelle Bachman yells out "You DA Man Michael!" at a GOP event on CSPAN, in a pathetic attempt to look hip.

Nobody other than political message board afficianados and political junkies know who michael steele is. The "hip hop" community doesn't give a shit about him. Black people aren't stupid. They're not going to vote for a party because they put a black face on TV. Just like women weren't stupid enough to vote for mccain because he put a female on his ticket.

Black people will vote GOP when they feel the GOP addresses some of their interests....when the GOP goes back to being the Party of Eisenhower, not the party of Rush Limbaugh, and George Bush.

I agree that blacks will not vote GOP because Steele is chair. I'm sure Doctors didn't vote Dem because Dean was chair. However I have been shocked in recent months that the volume of blacks calling in to local conservative talk radio in DC with positive conservative and anti-Obama comments has been through the roof.

My theory is that the number of blacks in the middle class in the DC area is very high and has been for some time. This probably leads them to have more middle class values and concerns which would naturally lead to some percentage of support for Repubs.

The Republican Party is no more chaotic than the Dems were in 2001, 1994 or 1981...etc. (I recall a national magazine article titled "Do we need the Democrat Party Anymore?" back in 2002...)

It is a much-needed wake up call. That process is underway. So far Steele has been doing a credible job of working that process through.

Polling actually indicates the Repubublicans won out on the image battle regarding the stimulus and omnibus bills.

2010 could prove interesting...

The Republican Party is no more chaotic than the Dems were in 2001, 1994 or 1981...etc. (I recall a national magazine article titled "Do we need the Democrat Party Anymore?" back in 2002...)

It is a much-needed wake up call. That process is underway. So far Steele has been doing a credible job of working that process through.

Polling actually indicates the Repubublicans won out on the image battle regarding the stimulus and omnibus bills.

The first major battle will be here in Virginia THIS year. The governor's race is on here and is always a bell-weather for how the mid-terms will go. The last two cycles, Dems have won. The current DNC chairman is the current governor. Governors are limited to one term here so there is no incumbency advantage.

As a side note, in increasingly blue Northern Virginia, a Republican just won a seat on the County council in Fairfax county (the county has over 1 million residents). Harbinger? Who knows at this point.

The first major battle will be here in Virginia THIS year. The governor's race is on here and is always a bell-weather for how the mid-terms will go. The last two cycles, Dems have won. The current DNC chairman is the current governor. Governors are limited to one term here so there is no incumbency advantage.

As a side note, in increasingly blue Northern Virginia, a Republican just won a seat on the County council in Fairfax county (the county has over 1 million residents). Harbinger? Who knows at this point.

Great post and you are quite correct - the Virginia race will prove to be a very good indicator of public sentiment. If McDonnell (R) is able to defeat the very well funded former Democrat fundraiser and party leader McAuliffe, it would be a significat momentum killer for the Dems. (though Moran might also squeak by McAuliffe to get the nomination...)

\

At least the libertarians are reality based problem solvers.

As a humanist I find their solutions somewhat repulsive, but I can appreiate their honesty, if nothing else.

They don't PRETEND to give a shit about their fellow men.

Social darwinism has proved to be disasterous everywhere it's tried (because its victims won't just off themselves as libertarians imagine they will) but it's marginally better thought out than the artsy fartsy excesses of many who image themsleves to be liberals.

Yet whenever I ask someone who espouses these thoughts what exactly is being crammed down their throats via someone else's religious doctrine, they never have an answer for me.

REPRODUCTIVE CHOICE.

Giving the STATE or THE FEDS the right to decide for women whether they bring a pegnancy to term is cramming someobdy else's religion down their throats.

Clear enough?

\

At least the libertarians are reality based problem solvers.

As a humanist I find their solutions somewhat repulsive, but I can appreiate their honesty, if nothing else.

They don't PRETEND to give a shit about their fellow men.

Social darwinism has proved to be disasterous everywhere it's tried (because its victims won't just off themselves as libertarians imagine they will) but it's marginally better thought out than the artsy fartsy excesses of many who image themsleves to be liberals.

Perhaps that is a valid criticism of some "hard core" libertarians. I don't actually know any current supporters of Manchester Liberalism, but I'll let you know if I run in to Sumner someplace. He'd be a little elderly at this point though.

I think of current libertarian thought as being directional rather than destinational. The practicalities of where we find ourselves and the tensions from other aspects of the party would prevent ever arriving anywhere near the destination. If United States v. Darby Lumber Co. ever gets overturned, you let me know and then you might have something to worry about. That would mean the libertarians had actually made a dent in the New Deal socialism and was actively rolling it back.

Until then, all you can say is they want less and smaller government in general. I know just that is plenty offensive to some here.

Forum List

Back