Zone1 Why did Jesus say we had to not only believe but be baptized?

Thank you for proving my point about twisting my words. And for insulting my intelligence.
We've reached agreement on the bibles not being literally true, and I think we're going to agree that they contain messages that were paraded in front of people of the 19th. century or earlier that were expected to be believed literally.

You can't talk about most of those because you know that the flock, with the intelligence of a 'flock' are still clinging to hope.

Such as it being proven thata a rock formation oon Mt. Ararat is a petrified boat.

The members of this board are clearly expressing hope for those fables that we can easily brush off.

Can you tell us your story about seeing the other side?
I have told the whole story here before... obviously its not something I like to remember... In short I was in a truck accident in Kabul and had no pulse for over 18 mins as a medic tried to revive me... they got my pulse back in transport on a medivac helicopter... what I experienced while "unconscious" changed my life forever...

I do not see it as a "rule", but an invitation. Here's how abundantly God can respond to the little we give. Keep in mind one of the first things we learn about God's and our relationship, is that we are free to choose.
Do the things that Jesus says align with what we see in Leviticus?

We've reached agreement on the bibles not being literally true, and I think we're going to agree that they contain messages that were paraded in front of people of the 19th. century or earlier that were expected to be believed literally.

You can't talk about most of those because you know that the flock, with the intelligence of a 'flock' are still clinging to hope.

Such as it being proven thata a rock formation oon Mt. Ararat is a petrified boat.

The members of this board are clearly expressing hope for those fables that we can easily brush off.
Again... I can't agree that we have reached agreement because of your serial word twisting and game playing.

Again... I can't agree that we have reached agreement because of your serial word twisting and game playing.
So I just have to leave you with your choice of believing that bible stories are literally true, or not true.

The CC created your dilemma when it declared Darwinian evolution, without considering the pain that would bring to the more enlightened members of the flock.

In fairness to the CC, they prevented a huge backlash by pretending that the flock could choose both the creation myth and evolution together. That's impossible for you and so you have to live the lies.

If you believe that talking to atheists can soften the impact, I'll help as much as I can.

So I just have to leave you with your choice of believing that bible stories are literally true, or not true.

The CC created your dilemma when it declared Darwinian evolution, without considering the pain that would bring to the more enlightened members of the flock.

In fairness to the CC, they prevented a huge backlash by pretending that the flock could choose both the creation myth and evolution together. That's impossible for you and so you have to live the lies.

If you believe that talking to atheists can soften the impact, I'll help as much as I can.
Each book and passage should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

I don't have a dilemma. I have a moron playing dumb games.

Each book and passage should be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Yes!

But that can never happen, on account of the widely varying interpretations of the meaning of the bibles.

90% of the Christians contend that the entire bible is the literal word of the god.

Tell any of them that we now know it isn't and they will sign out of the discussion with profanity.

Tell an atheist that it's not literally true, and you'll have a discussion started!

Yes!

But that can never happen, on account of the widely varying interpretations of the meaning of the bibles.

90% of the Christians contend that the entire bible is the literal word of the god.

Tell any of them that we now know it isn't and they will sign out of the discussion with profanity.

Tell an atheist that it's not literally true, and you'll have a discussion started!
Actually telling an atheist anything is a waste of time. The complexity of life prevents them from discovering the joys of communing with God.

Where are you getting your statistics?
It's a guess that was meant more to be challenged, rather than be precise. And you did.
Here's how I will frame the challenge:

Do you as a Christian understand that the bible can't be the literal word of the god?

Or?

Do you believe that it's impossible for the 'big fish' story or the ark story, for examples, are not true?

I get to frame the question this time, because you didn't take the opportunity.

Of special interest is that Ding is trying to choose either both or none. That's his dilemma.

Actually telling an atheist anything is a waste of time. The complexity of life prevents them from discovering the joys of communing with God.
The complexity of life demands of the atheist that he/she asks the questions and looks for answers, instead of avoiding the truth.

So as you suggest, one by one we should examine each passage.

Did a man live for three days in the belly of a big fish? (whale)

The complexity of life demands of the atheist that he/she asks the questions and looks for answers, instead of avoiding the truth.

So as you suggest, one by one we should examine each passage.

Did a man live for three days in the belly of a big fish? (whale)
The complexities of life are your excuses for not putting in the work.

When you can come up with an intellectually responsible interpretation for that big fish tale, let me know. Until then you are an intellectual dead end.

Well, most christians believe that we are born with original sin on our souls. Oh, wait.. that's not exactly whatCatholics believe (not sure of others). We are born with the stain of original sin on our souls. That means that when our ancestors fell, our very nature fell... Sin is egregious (libs say something else but they can go back to Politics and be libs all they want...)
I thought the whole point to Earthy life is that we sinned to get here. If a person had no sin, they would be perfect and no one is perfect.

Jesus is God
I thought Jesus was a son of God whom God chose to work through for the betterment of mankind.

How cute! You think the story is about a big fish.
What I think the story is about isn't important. It's what my estimated 90% think the story is about.

Their faith is strong enough to allow them to continue believing in the big fish and Jonah being literally true.

Did you catch the one attempt by a fully devoted Believer to repair the story to make it feasible? It included an actual example of some other man being swallowed by a whale. How about you? do you buy the story?

Forum List

Back