🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why did melania hate the JFK crabapple trees so much?

Both before and after look nice. Not a big deal to me.
I agree, they both look nice!

It was her option to do as first lady.

But people redoing landscaping usually try to save the trees.... or in this case, save the trees with historical meaning....

The sophisticated look of her garden.... with like white roses or flowers, and the nice walkway, could have been achieved with leaving the crab apple trees of JFK.... Imho.

But again, it is not unusual for first Ladies to make changes to the Rose Garden, I don't believe?
They are being saved. They were moved and will be scattered throughout the grounds.-
The flowers in the garden are largely pastels, which are favored by the first lady, including taller white roses, which were in honor of the first papal visit to the White House by Pope John Paul II in 1979. A diamond-like shape of boxwoods was also added, while about a dozen crabapple trees were removed and will be replanted elsewhere on the grounds.

But people redoing landscaping usually try to save the trees.... or in this case, save the trees with historical meaning....

The sophisticated look of her garden.... with like white roses or flowers, and the nice walkway, could have been achieved with leaving the crab apple trees of JFK.... Imho.

But again, it is not unusual for first Ladies to make changes to the Rose Garden, I don't believe?
There was infrastructure replaced and upgrades and the area was made handicapped accessible. Not a word on that. Of course..

She did a nice job designing a new garden, a traditional job for a First Lady. No one was probably eating those crab apples anyhow, and reports indicate they have been moved to new locations if anyone does want to eat them.

There was infrastructure replaced and upgrades and the area was made handicapped accessible. Not a word on that. Of course..
I think the walkways are nice looking! And a good idea! Not just for the handicap!! But any woman in heels.... grass is a nightmare!!!

Well the garden now looks like an inviting place for a Mussolini speech, as opposed to a contemplative stroll in the company of a ally or adversary.
EgB9DfMWkAM2NDr.jpeg

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/home-decor/a33436629/white-house-rose-garden-history/

Melania's intent was to make it more functional. I honestly think she tries to carry out the function of a job she really really didn't want. It's just sort of ironic her design is uncovered as the gop convention gets underway.

But the crabapple trees have been there since the last assassinated president was in office. they lent a certain gravity to the images.

Well the garden now looks like an inviting place for a Mussolini speech, as opposed to a contemplative stroll in the company of a ally or adversary.
EgB9DfMWkAM2NDr.jpeg

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/home-decor/a33436629/white-house-rose-garden-history/

Melania's intent was to make it more functional. I honestly think she tries to carry out the function of a job she really really didn't want. It's just sort of ironic her design is uncovered as the gop convention gets underway.

But the crabapple trees have been there since the last assassinated president was in office. they lent a certain gravity to the images.
They will be there on the grounds.

EgB9DfMWkAM2NDr.jpeg

The both look fine to me, not seeing what is wrong with Melania's taste.

EgB9DfMWkAM2NDr.jpeg

People from different parts of the world have different interpretations of everyday living including plants and flora.

I realize it is not of the importance of 200-250K dead ( or the likelihood of more than 2000 perday be election time), and I realize that Michelle was pilloried for vegetable gardening (not in the Rose Garden) but she effecitively changed the Rose Garden from an outside extension of Presiden Kennedy's office to a stage. I just don't get it. I know first ladies are unfairly criticized, and imo Melania has soldiered on in a job she didn't want but …. I just wish she'd have been better counseled. It was JFK's place for contemplation, after all.
I like how they showed all the lovely tulips and crab-apple blossoms in bloom for the before and the perennials with the blooms gone by for the after.

They should have shown all the bare tulip stalks wilting in the early summer sun instead.

I realize it is not of the importance of 200-250K dead ( or the likelihood of more than 2000 perday be election time), and I realize that Michelle was pilloried for vegetable gardening (not in the Rose Garden) but she effecitively changed the Rose Garden from an outside extension of Presiden Kennedy's office to a stage. I just don't get it. I know first ladies are unfairly criticized, and imo Melania has soldiered on in a job she didn't want but …. I just wish she'd have been better counseled. It was JFK's place for contemplation, after all.
I like how they showed all the lovely tulips and crab-apple blossoms in bloom for the before and the perennials with the blooms gone by for the after.

They should have shown all the bare tulip stalks wilting in the early summer sun instead.
It changes to other flowers when the tulips whither..... as with most gardens, the perennials are timed.

It changes to other flowers when the tulips whither..... as with most gardens, the perennials are timed.

Only if there are other flowers planted but you still have to let the tulip stalk incompletely wither before cutting them back or the tulips will not flower the next spring and it isn't much to look at.

Seems you know as much about gardening as you do everything else which is not much

Tell me how this is important. At all.

Wife of orange man bad.

Doesnt look bad in either case

Melanias changes look like they will be temporary as new administrations swap out flowers and shrubs.

Trees are permanent additions. 50 years from now people would say, Melania Trump planted those trees

Only if there are other flowers planted but you still have to let the tulip stalk incompletely wither before cutting them back or the tulips will not flower the next spring and it isn't much to look at.

Seems you know as much about gardening as you do everything else which is not much
That rose garden of hers wont be prettily in bloom all year either, so whats your point?

JFK is dead. He may have used it for contemplation, but that doesn't mean anyone else would do the same. Melania likes simplicity. Uniform. She is not ecclectic. This is her style. In 4 years, whomever is in there can change it again if they like.

And..I find the hoopla and hand wringing very ironic. I guess most don't know just how reviled Jackie was by citizens AND the media when she married Onassis 5 years after JFK was gone. They wanted her to mourn him forever, I guess. But now? Jackie was this, Jackie was that, Miss Perfect Jackie.

Forum List

Back