Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

There are other alternative options regarding ones faith, and spirituality, for the non Christian. Athiest/Christian, is not an either/or proposition.

There are other alternative options regarding ones faith, and spirituality, for the non Christian. Athiest/Christian, is not an either/or proposition.
The biggest growing religion the past decade was the Manmade Climate Change faith. It hit its peak in 2015.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense.
I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Your parents and all those around you say otherwise.

Still looking for the first parent to have to teach their child to be bad.

DOOD. Really?

How do you think, say, racism perpetuates? Or domestic abuse? You think that's just rained down by fairy dust?

I don't know if I ever really believed. Even as a child I had my doubts. I was just afraid to admit to it or say anything about it.

Exactly. As a vulnerable dependent child you have to internalize it for the time being ---- but you know in the deep that what they're telling you is bullshit, and you keep and carry that skepticism to where you can take control and live your own life in the way that feels honest.

In my experience the most vile, hypocritic people I have ever met were the most devout

I have seen people who just returned from a "revival" meeting and I have seen people who just took a hit of methedrine. There's no difference. Except maybe the revival meeting doesn't rot your teeth.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense.
I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

DOOD. Really?

How do you think, say, racism perpetuates? Or domestic abuse? You think that's just rained down by fairy dust?
So you taught your children to be mean to other kids?
The left's lack of understanding of the human being is mind boggling.

Yeah, I hear ya. The idea that you born "evil", or a "sinner" at birth; was one of many objections I had.

There is no Christian church that says children are born evil, or with sin. So you object to Christianity based on a misconception.

Which is typical of most of the most adamant anti-Christians.
Every church denomination I'm aware of clearly state that all men are born in "sin". Even without this one fault; the others for me are legion. And for the record; I'm not anti Christian as it pertains to the people.
Being born into *sin* or having a sinful nature is not the same thing as "children are sinful and evil".
If that one word "into" is taken out or misconstrued it makes a whole lot of difference in anything being relayed. We are "born into" these human bodies that learn to live to the carnal flesh by either teachings or nature.

It is also in our nature as humans to rebel or avoid things we cannot or do not understand and things we do not believe or cannot perceive are rejected.

While I've already stated, and will say again; some of the people I most trust, and respect have adopted Christianity... Those for whom I hold the most animosity, for their transgressions against myself, and my blood... They too professed to be Christians.

I agree but for the second part of your comment. For that I would say, atheists or non believers in a higher power.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...

The ones I hold the most animosity for are atheists.

I was a Christian for over 20 years (why do I feel like this is an AA meeting?) I'm clean and sober now.....

But I am the type that has to pop the hood and find how things work. I spent many years studying the history, times and culture. Things started adding up one way, the other not so much. When you are into a religion all facts must fit into your beliefs, even it it's to dismiss them as only God knows.

But as I gained rational thought it took more and more faith to believe what I did. Finally I couldn't muster enough. Even then it took a good three years before I could say I was no longer a Christian. Religion gets deeply embedded into your psyche.

DOOD. Really?

Nope and I sure as hell didn't teach anybody anywhere to practice the level of blatant dishonesty you just did in that post.

DOOD. Really?

Nope and I sure as hell didn't teach anybody anywhere to practice the level of blatant dishonesty you just did in that post.
Takes a real leftard to believe children need to be taught how to be mean to other kids, congrats.

Yeah, I hear ya. The idea that you born "evil", or a "sinner" at birth; was one of many objections I had.

There is no Christian church that says children are born evil, or with sin. So you object to Christianity based on a misconception.

Which is typical of most of the most adamant anti-Christians.
Every church denomination I'm aware of clearly state that all men are born in "sin". Even without this one fault; the others for me are legion. And for the record; I'm not anti Christian as it pertains to the people.
Being born into *sin* or having a sinful nature is not the same thing as "children are sinful and evil".
If that one word "into" is taken out or misconstrued it makes a whole lot of difference in anything being relayed. We are "born into" these human bodies that learn to live to the carnal flesh by either teachings or nature.

It is also in our nature as humans to rebel or avoid things we cannot or do not understand and things we do not believe or cannot perceive are rejected.

Exactly.

I was a Christian for over 20 years (why do I feel like this is an AA meeting?) I'm clean and sober now.....

But I am the type that has to pop the hood and find how things work. I spent many years studying the history, times and culture. Things started adding up one way, the other not so much. When you are into a religion all facts must fit into your beliefs, even it it's to dismiss them as only God knows.

But as I gained rational thought it took more and more faith to believe what I did. Finally I couldn't muster enough. Even then it took a good three years before I could say I was no longer a Christian. Religion gets deeply embedded into your psyche.

That's because you came under the influence of the world.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.
No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

I put my brain right up there with anybody's. My parents were atheists.

Forum List

Back