Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

I was a Christian for over 20 years (why do I feel like this is an AA meeting?) I'm clean and sober now.....

But I am the type that has to pop the hood and find how things work. I spent many years studying the history, times and culture. Things started adding up one way, the other not so much. When you are into a religion all facts must fit into your beliefs, even it it's to dismiss them as only God knows.

But as I gained rational thought it took more and more faith to believe what I did. Finally I couldn't muster enough. Even then it took a good three years before I could say I was no longer a Christian. Religion gets deeply embedded into your psyche.

That's because you came under the influence of the world.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.
No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

I put my brain right up there with anybody's. My parents were atheists.
My comment was a response to you saying my mind changed because of the world's influence. I didn't claim you had a defective brain, I said I used mine and reached my own conclusions.

Either Christianity is a faith or it isn't. You don't need faith if you have facts.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense.

Every person is a sinner. What you consider yourself is moot. The fact is we all have selfish, cruel, un Christian and yes, evil, impulses. That's what it means to be human.

There's not one Buddhist on the planet who sins. But let's define the term 'sin'. This one will do:

sin1
sin/
noun
an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
"a sin in the eyes of God"

In Buddhism there are no 'Divine Laws". Divine laws only apply to those who accept them such as Christians. Buddhists don't accept divine law nor do they accept a creator god. Is there 'bad' behavior within Buddhism? Of course but they're called delusions that keep us trapped in cyclic existence. These delusions have nothing to do with divine law.

So you're wrong. Not everyone is born into sin.

I too have found the idea of sin to be an empty construct. A tool of the willing so to speak. The idea of 'sin" only carries weight with those who choose to believe in it. Often times it is used as a behavioral control device.

I was a Christian for over 20 years (why do I feel like this is an AA meeting?) I'm clean and sober now.....

But I am the type that has to pop the hood and find how things work. I spent many years studying the history, times and culture. Things started adding up one way, the other not so much. When you are into a religion all facts must fit into your beliefs, even it it's to dismiss them as only God knows.

But as I gained rational thought it took more and more faith to believe what I did. Finally I couldn't muster enough. Even then it took a good three years before I could say I was no longer a Christian. Religion gets deeply embedded into your psyche.

That's because you came under the influence of the world.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.
No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

I put my brain right up there with anybody's. My parents were atheists.
My comment was a response to you saying my mind changed because of the world's influence. I didn't claim you had a defective brain, I said I used mine and reached my own conclusions.

Either Christianity is a faith or it isn't. You don't need faith if you have facts.
Wrong again. I have facts. I still have faith. I don't need it in the way you think. I choose it. That's what it's all about.

and yes, the world has led you astray. The bible deals pretty extensively with the phenomenon of worldliness and false knowledge. What you perceive is not what you think.

I too have found the idea of sin to be an empty construct. A tool of the willing so to speak. The idea of 'sin" only carries weight with those who choose to believe in it. Often times it is used as a behavioral control device.
Sin is anything which separates one from God.

That would make ones mortal life a sin unto itself...

Why is that?
Well... When one dies according to certain versions of the Christian faith; they say that they are going to be with god.

"Heaven" is the realm of spirits, and the dead. So in order to enter that realm one must die. Therefore ones mortal life serves as a seperation from god. Which according to the definition given would make mortal life itself a sin.

Why is that?
Well... When one dies according to certain versions of the Christian faith; they say that they are going to be with god.

"Heaven" is the realm of spirits, and the dead. So in order to enter that realm one must die. Therefore one mortal life serves as a seperation from god. Which according to the sefinition given would make mortal life itself a sin.
Unless of course the spirit of God was within them all along which is what I believe and my faith teaches.

Why is that?

"Heaven" is the realm of spirits, and the dead. So in order to enter that realm one must die. Therefore one mortal life serves as a seperation from god. Which according to the sefinition given would make mortal life itself a sin.
Unless of course the spirit of God was within them all along which is what I believe and my faith teaches.
I don't begrudge you of your belief. I personally find that unbelievable.

Why is that?

Why do you find it unbelieveable? Do you find love unbelieveable too? Is love inside you?

Why is that?

"Heaven" is the realm of spirits, and the dead. So in order to enter that realm one must die. Therefore ones mortal life serves as a seperation from god. Which according to the definition given would make mortal life itself a sin.
oh brother.

Life isn't a sin by it's nature..we have eternal life, and we live in Christ.

Death separates us, or can potentially. The unsaved are considered dead because they have not conquered death through Christ.

Why is that?

Why do you find it unbelieveable? Do you find love unbelieveable too? Is love inside you?
Yes.
No.

It probably comes down to what touches you. Even without the negativity I doubt Christianity would have stuck with me. I simply didn't connect to it. It had no spiritual resonance for me.

This makes perfect sense because we're such a diverse race. Why would we ever assume that one path fits everyone.

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 7 - King James Version

Why is that?

oh brother.

Death separates us, or can potentially. The unsaved are considered dead because they have not conquered death through Christ.
It might come across better if you were to preface such statements with "I believe". Some times the "matter of factedness" of some statements, can damage perceived credibility. That's not a dig by any means. Just pointing out that simply because you really, really believe it; doesn't cause it to become true. Or factual if you will.

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?
Drinking the kooliad. Jim Jones and his followers, then came 9/11 and the Muslim 9/11. Islamophobia ? Are YOU KIDDING? Really?

Why is that?

What kind of logic is that? That doesn't make any sense.

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?
Drinking the kooliad. Jim Jones and his followers, then came 9/11 and the Muslim 9/11. Islamophobia ? Are YOU KIDDING? Really?

You drank Jim Jones Kool-Aid? How did you not die and escape?

Why is that?

Yes.
No.
Why do you find love unbelieveable?

Why is that?

oh brother.

I agree that life isn't a sin. As I said before I understand Sin to be a man made construct accredited to the Hebrew god. As far as anyone can verify life is absolutely finite. Lastly; don't live in Christ. I live in Alabama! LOL.
But ironically, all kidding aside. Christ lives only in the minds of men. Were one to erase his name from the religious histories and killed all who knew how to form the sound of his name he'd be gone; yet no more diminished than now.

Forum List

Back