Why do people talk about "liberal bias" when the phrase is technically an oxymoron?

Hello. I thought this would be the best forum to ask this and I've wondered it for a few years now. It doesn't make sense if you think about it (even by con standards). Liberalism is neutral by definition. The farther to the right you move, the more partisan you become. It's an obvious fact if you look at the US today. The Left is where all of the groups fighting for social justice and against bigotry and intolerance lay. The more right wing an individual or group is, the more they represent causes that the Left opposes.

Homosexuality is a good example. Liberals have always fought to represent their needs and educate people not to treat them poorly because of their orientation. The GOP ran on an explicitly anti-gay platform roughly a decade ago. Reproductive rights is another. It's the Left that safeguards women's right to choose when and whether to have children and gives them options to deal with unwanted pregnancies and support if they choose to keep them. The Right is where all of the misogynists find support for their explicitly anti-choice agenda. They're the ones who think it's moral to enslave half of the population just because they have wombs and force them to have as many children as possible.

These are just a few examples of why bias just isn't part of the liberal equation. The entire point of liberalism is defeating bias and giving everyone the exact same rights and quality of life regardless of their personal identity and life choices. Wouldn't it follow then that the only bias possible is conservative bias, ie towards the status quo?

yes, its the gov'ts job to correct everyone's poor mistakes, lmao. Where do these people come from?

Liberalism is neutral by definition. The farther to the right you move, the more partisan you become. It's an obvious fact if you look at the US today. The Left is where all of the groups fighting for social justice and against bigotry and intolerance lay. The more right wing an individual or group is, the more they represent causes that the Left opposes.

You are an authoritarian leftist, not a liberal. That's why you don't understand why you are filled with "liberal bias." It's actually "authoritarian leftist bias."

I am a libertarian, we are the true liberals who actually don't practice bias in government. Government should provide basic services that aren't doable any other way, police, military, that sort of thing, then leave us alone. No bias.
I'm not though. I'm generally opposed to authority, especially self-granted authority. However, I recognize that we need a government given authority by mutual consent to enforce our rights and ensure that no interest becomes too powerful and no person gets left behind. Equality and freedom are the hallmarks of liberalism and so I'm proud to accept the title of liberal.

Equality and freedom are the hallmarks of liberalism and so I'm proud to accept the title of liberal.

Beg to differ ... Ignorance and enslavement are the hallmarks of American Liberals. Liberals are a bumbleclot of narrow minded short sighted people who can't see past the ends of their noses.

They seek to create equality - they create and feed slovenly ethics and enslavement to entitlement.

They create division and strife and feed and bolster the divisions that permeate our society. They enable the ignorant and greedy to parasitize the productive and generous to the point where their productivity and generosity is worn thread bare. They open the gates to the fortress and allow our enemies to flood into the encampment to slaughter us - they are a twisted, ignorant and foolhardy lot those Liberals

Right. That would explain why the democratic party is composed of people from all walks of life while the GOP is composed primarily of old white guys. The fact is that you so-called conservatives are deathly afraid of multiculturalism, the idea that multiple ethnic groups can live together and get along, create a new peaceful world where people of all races and creeds can be successful. How else to explain your xenophobic statement, above?

That's a pretty lame uninformed and asinine statement .

20130327_BLACK_REPUBLICANS_LARGE.jpg

images

So the Republicans are claiming MLK as their own, are they? That's a pretty lame claim, dude. The fact is that the people who's photos you've posted represent a very small minority of the Republican party. And I suggest that they don't represent the vast majority of African Americans, who are, by and large Democrats.

Hello. I thought this would be the best forum to ask this and I've wondered it for a few years now. It doesn't make sense if you think about it (even by con standards). Liberalism is neutral by definition. The farther to the right you move, the more partisan you become. It's an obvious fact if you look at the US today. The Left is where all of the groups fighting for social justice and against bigotry and intolerance lay. The more right wing an individual or group is, the more they represent causes that the Left opposes.

Homosexuality is a good example. Liberals have always fought to represent their needs and educate people not to treat them poorly because of their orientation. The GOP ran on an explicitly anti-gay platform roughly a decade ago. Reproductive rights is another. It's the Left that safeguards women's right to choose when and whether to have children and gives them options to deal with unwanted pregnancies and support if they choose to keep them. The Right is where all of the misogynists find support for their explicitly anti-choice agenda. They're the ones who think it's moral to enslave half of the population just because they have wombs and force them to have as many children as possible.

These are just a few examples of why bias just isn't part of the liberal equation. The entire point of liberalism is defeating bias and giving everyone the exact same rights and quality of life regardless of their personal identity and life choices. Wouldn't it follow then that the only bias possible is conservative bias, ie towards the status quo?

:321::alcoholic::ahole-1::bsflag:

You know hit a nail on the head when all they can do is post BS flags, "asshole" signs and "where the hell do these hacks come from" --- never touching the actual topic.

You're an idiot.

Welcome to the board, the sort of response you're going to get by people who think they're intelligent, isn't an answer that you can reply to much, it's just insults.

So would you agree, then, that liberalism is neutral by definition?

If so, please explain.

Mr 'neutral' attacking the left...as usual.

You are a fraud Mac.

Never claimed to be neutral, is this too complicated for you?

Would you like to know my opinions on gay rights, abortion, war, foreign policy, health care, personal income taxation?

I have provided them all, multiple times.

I think this really IS too complicated for you.

SAME regurgitation. Admit it Mac, you are a right winger.

Classic liberal bias at work. Kinda blows the OP's premise out of the water.

Welcome to the board, the sort of response you're going to get by people who think they're intelligent, isn't an answer that you can reply to much, it's just insults.

If so, please explain.

You are a fraud Mac.

Would you like to know my opinions on gay rights, abortion, war, foreign policy, health care, personal income taxation?

Did you even read the stream? They're not talking about Liberalism. They're not even talking politics. They're talking about each other. And neither of them is the OP.

Weird post dood.

You don't have any real defense so you fall back on ad hominem. Typical con...

Welcome to the intellectually bankrupt world of conservatism.

More mindless liberal bias at work. I hope the OP is taking notes.

See what I mean? (284)

Knowing how intellectually honest you are I take it you are referring to NYcar's comment.

--- which refers to the OP's, which refers back to exactly what I'm talking about. And you're doing the same thing. No content, no input, no nothing.

If so, please explain.

You are a fraud Mac.

Did you even read the stream? They're not talking about Liberalism. They're not even talking politics. They're talking about each other. And neither of them is the OP.

Weird post dood.

I'll simplify so even you may understand. The OP claims that "liberal bias" doesn't exist. I'm saying BF's comment is an obvious case of that very bias. Get it now, dood?

You don't have any real defense so you fall back on ad hominem. Typical con...

Welcome to the intellectually bankrupt world of conservatism.

More mindless liberal bias at work. I hope the OP is taking notes.

See what I mean? (284)

Knowing how intellectually honest you are I take it you are referring to NYcar's comment.

--- which refers to the OP's, which refers back to exactly what I'm talking about.

Yup ... liberal bias.

Five posts in a row with nothing to say on the topic.

Ironic name dood. If you ever actually think of a point maybe they'll let you come up with a new name.

Ironic name dood. If you ever actually think of a point maybe they'll let you come up with a new name.

I guess I must make this even simpler for you. Here's the topic:
"Why do people talk about "liberal bias" when the phrase is technically an oxymoron?"
Care to comment on it?

I guess I must make this even simpler for you. Here's the topic:
"Why do people talk about "liberal bias" when the phrase is technically an oxymoron?"
Care to comment on it?

Unlike you I did that when I first got here.
Nobody has yet touched that either.

You are an authoritarian leftist, not a liberal. That's why you don't understand why you are filled with "liberal bias." It's actually "authoritarian leftist bias."

I am a libertarian, we are the true liberals who actually don't practice bias in government. Government should provide basic services that aren't doable any other way, police, military, that sort of thing, then leave us alone. No bias.
I'm not though. I'm generally opposed to authority, especially self-granted authority. However, I recognize that we need a government given authority by mutual consent to enforce our rights and ensure that no interest becomes too powerful and no person gets left behind. Equality and freedom are the hallmarks of liberalism and so I'm proud to accept the title of liberal.

Equality and freedom are the hallmarks of liberalism and so I'm proud to accept the title of liberal.

Beg to differ ... Ignorance and enslavement are the hallmarks of American Liberals. Liberals are a bumbleclot of narrow minded short sighted people who can't see past the ends of their noses.

They seek to create equality - they create and feed slovenly ethics and enslavement to entitlement.

They create division and strife and feed and bolster the divisions that permeate our society. They enable the ignorant and greedy to parasitize the productive and generous to the point where their productivity and generosity is worn thread bare. They open the gates to the fortress and allow our enemies to flood into the encampment to slaughter us - they are a twisted, ignorant and foolhardy lot those Liberals

Right. That would explain why the democratic party is composed of people from all walks of life while the GOP is composed primarily of old white guys. The fact is that you so-called conservatives are deathly afraid of multiculturalism, the idea that multiple ethnic groups can live together and get along, create a new peaceful world where people of all races and creeds can be successful. How else to explain your xenophobic statement, above?

That's a pretty lame uninformed and asinine statement .

20130327_BLACK_REPUBLICANS_LARGE.jpg

images

So the Republicans are claiming MLK as their own, are they? That's a pretty lame claim, dude. The fact is that the people who's photos you've posted represent a very small minority of the Republican party. And I suggest that they don't represent the vast majority of African Americans, who are, by and large Democrats.

MLK jr was a life long Republican as was Martin Luther King Sr.

A majority of African Americans support the Democratic party whilst that same party continues to enslave Blacks under an increasingly sophisticated methodology. The type of slavery has changed, it was once forced servitude where now it is a slavery to handouts.

E.W. Jackson of Virginia, Black Politician, Republican Party candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, stated ...

...slavery did not destroy black families, but government welfare programs launched in the 1960s caused them to deteriorate....

If you ever actually think of a point maybe they'll let you come up with a new name.

You mean like "Pogo" ........ lmao
pogo-uncivil.jpg

How a typical conversation with a con goes:

Me-Here's my assertion, my reasoning, and a few sources backing it up.
Con-Fuck you, libtard.
Me-Um... Okay. Maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well. Let me put it another way and invite you to tell me why you disagree with what I said.
Con-You stupid piece of shit. You're probably a Commie. Go move to Russia.
Me-Russia hasn't been Communist for decades now. Again, what don't you agree with specifically? WHY do you think I'm wrong?
Con-I told you to shut your fucking mouth. BIBLE!!!

Everything you've said so far has been about par for the course Unkotare... And you wonder why nobody takes you people seriously...

It's apparent you've had very few conversations with conservatives.

How a typical conversation with a con goes:

Me-Here's my assertion, my reasoning, and a few sources backing it up.
Con-Fuck you, libtard.
Me-Um... Okay. Maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well. Let me put it another way and invite you to tell me why you disagree with what I said.
Con-You stupid piece of shit. You're probably a Commie. Go move to Russia.
Me-Russia hasn't been Communist for decades now. Again, what don't you agree with specifically? WHY do you think I'm wrong?
Con-I told you to shut your fucking mouth. BIBLE!!!

Everything you've said so far has been about par for the course Unkotare... And you wonder why nobody takes you people seriously...

It's apparent you've had very few conversations with conservatives.

Check post number TWO in this thread. And then the whole first page. Probably the ensuing ones as well.

Forum List

Back