Why Do So Many Self-Proclaimed Christians Curse So Much, So Freely and So Publicly?

Why do you assume that "corrupt communication" means cursing?
Could just as well mean lying!

"Corrupt communication" deals with deceit, not swearing. Sort of like our president, who claims to be a Christian but can't open his mouth without spewing out a pack of lies.
I think you folks are sadly mistaken.

In either case, here's a list of Scriptural passages that speak against cursing, aka using profanity...

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 5:4 - Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Matthew 12:36-37
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2 Timothy 2:16 - But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Proverbs 21:23 - Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Matthew 5:37 - But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Romans 12:21 - Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Timothy 4:12 - Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

I can think of examples of Jesus violating every single one of those, does that mean he was a self proclaimed Christian, or does it mean you are an idiot?

Please do so. Please provide examples of that which you claim.

Seems as if you're suggesting that Jesus used profanity. Are you? If so please provide the passages indicating as much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think you folks are sadly mistaken.

In either case, here's a list of Scriptural passages that speak against cursing, aka using profanity...

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 5:4 - Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Matthew 12:36-37
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2 Timothy 2:16 - But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Proverbs 21:23 - Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Matthew 5:37 - But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Romans 12:21 - Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Timothy 4:12 - Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

I can think of examples of Jesus violating every single one of those, does that mean he was a self proclaimed Christian, or does it mean you are an idiot?

Seems as if you're suggesting that Jesus used profanity. Are you? If so please provide the passages indicating as much.

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Deuteronomy 23:18 Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

The Trinity Foundation - The Virtue of Name-Calling

Marc,

How can I judge someone I can't see?

By what basis are they Christian? In Europe, you have atheists whose national origin is Christian because they have a state religion.

Jesus says not everyone who calls me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

James says no one can tame the tongue.

We still have a sin nature.

Chuck
My OP already addresses this Chuck.

I'm referring to self-proclaimed Christians, particularly of USMB. Not the athiests in Europe, but the self proclaimed Christians of USMB.

Many of which I've observed using curse words...regularly.

If you haven't observed this, that's fine, you're still a newbie, or you may just be turning a blind eye to that sort of thing, but I'm telling you, it occurs.

Have you not cursed Marc? I believe you have used curse words on this very board. Also until now, I have not seen you utter anything about this. You are perceived as a very self righteous individual.

Also you are passing a judgement of Chuck, by accusing him of turning a blind eye.

Best to get the rafter out of your own eye.
What curse words have you observed me using sir?

You should have some handy based on your post.

How do you know where they are from?

Who is a Christian? Who isn't a Christian? How long have they been Christian? What is their level of sanctification? Are they a born again Christian? Questions you need to ask before making judgments.

Did they just follow Him or were they converted?

James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
What judgement did I make Chuck? I'd like you to point that out.

Moreover, by you posting that particular text, are you advocating Christian cursing or suggesting that Scripture is or has given it some sort of "pass?"

Sidebar: Do you think that people who wear fake police uniforms are real police? What happens to people that are caught pretending to be police officers by actual law enforcement?

I wasn't talking about you judging.
You answered one small part of my question.

Please finish addressing the rest of my post.

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Deuteronomy 23:18 Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

All you did was post some text without context.

Basically, please specify what you are trying to say exactly. AKA what's your point?

so Chuck, do you think the cursing and profanities said by these professed Christians are 'just', as Christ was 'just' in calling certain people hypocrites and fools?

AGAIN, what is your point Chuck? Can you speak for yourself, without having to provide a link....and tell us what you mean or are thinking?

It truly is hard to understand you when you only speak by using links for what others have said....what do YOU have to say chuck?

Oh look, another thread where anti-christians use the religion thread to attack people for not adhering *properly* to a faith they themselves don't subscribe to.

And why not? If Christians - or those professing any other 'faith' - use message boards to push their delusions onto the rest of us they lay themselves open to derision.

Marc,

How can I judge someone I can't see?

By what basis are they Christian? In Europe, you have atheists whose national origin is Christian because they have a state religion.

Jesus says not everyone who calls me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

James says no one can tame the tongue.

We still have a sin nature.

Chuck

I'm referring to self-proclaimed Christians, particularly of USMB. Not the athiests in Europe, but the self proclaimed Christians of USMB.

If you haven't observed this, that's fine, you're still a newbie, or you may just be turning a blind eye to that sort of thing, but I'm telling you, it occurs.

Who is a Christian? Who isn't a Christian? How long have they been Christian? What is their level of sanctification? Are they a born again Christian? Questions you need to ask before making judgments.

James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

There is a new kind of right wing Christian. They call themselves Christian but their policies are "let him die" and "feed the poor and they will breed" and "every man for himself". And they will even say that they are following the true teachings of Jesus.
I bet everyone I quote in my signature line will insist they are a Christian.

Matthew 5:37
Let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no. Anything more than this comes from the evil one.

I have a much greater issue with people using the Bible to beat people up. Telling Christian gays they are going to hell, and describing in great detail what gays do in the privacy of their own relationship.

Christians believing that God intended us to mock, shame and belittle the poor, while exhalting the rich man.

Christians throwing away critical thought and clinging to faith.

Bitter, angry Christians, in whom I can see nothing of Phil 4:8.

Etc.

Swearing is nothing in the face of such as this.

Last edited:
I have a much greater issue with people using the Bible to beat people up. Telling Christian gays they are going to hell, and describing in great detail what gays do in the privacy of their own relationship.

Christians believing that God intended us to mock, shame and belittle the poor, while exhalting the rich man.

Etc.

You were doing fine until you got to the "critical thought" comment. Then it just fell apart.

No. I wasn't. God gave you a brain for a reason. He doesn't expect you to react instead of think. He doesn't expect your faith to cancel it out.

Thinking is a blessing, not a curse.

Doesn't Scripture state "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth?"

What's worse, is that many of them curse in the very "Religion and Ethics" threads, while discussing spiritual things.

It's as if they're demon-possessed.

Interestingly enough, the self-proclaimed Christians of USMB don't even call out the ones that do. They just let the curse words fly as if it's A-OK.

Why do you think that is? Are you guys co-signing on that type of behavior? Or is it something else I'm not aware of?

Please advise.

It's been my experience that the most devout people are the most odious.

What judgement did I make Chuck? I'd like you to point that out.

Moreover, by you posting that particular text, are you advocating Christian cursing or suggesting that Scripture is or has given it some sort of "pass?"

Sidebar: Do you think that people who wear fake police uniforms are real police? What happens to people that are caught pretending to be police officers by actual law enforcement?

Marc,

If you don't like who comes to your door, do you have to open it? If a bird wants to make a nest in your hair, do you have to let them? I don't own this board so I'm not at liberty to do everything I want to or say everything I want to.

I got tired of Christian boards because they wouldn't stop some of the things that came on so I started my own and no one came. One of the people who did come used a lesser known word so I closed the board because I don't behave like that and I closed the board because I was the only one that was "perfect".

Should I give people some sort of "pass" because scripture does?

If I am outnumbered in a forum and if I am getting beat up in the forum, what relevance does someone play who is defending me? They are using language against people mocking Christians. They are defending me, right? The world's enemy is my friend because they are protecting me. Right?

If we judged self proclaimed Christians on a 50/50 scale by works and they used potty language, if they use profanity it could be that they are unsaved and not a Christian. Would you agree?

1 Corinthians 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

If I am not supposed to judge the world then why should I judge them for working for me and not against me?

Mark 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

We didn't really solve the problem but if you are a Christian then maybe you can see it the way I see it.

Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

And yet there wasn't a prophet greater than John who said these things other than Jesus so if you want to condemn Christians for speech, you should be careful because if you are consistent, you might have to blame God:

Luke 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

What the disciples used was not profanity in my opinion but strong language. That is another subject in itself.

Matthew 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Matthew 23:16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

Matthew 23:17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

There is a lot more that I could say about the "tongue" and why James says that it is set on fire from hell.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I theorize (no real proof) that the supernatural world could be in us.

Chuck

so Chuck, do you think the cursing and profanities said by these professed Christians are 'just', as Christ was 'just' in calling certain people hypocrites and fools?

AGAIN, what is your point Chuck? Can you speak for yourself, without having to provide a link....and tell us what you mean or are thinking?

It truly is hard to understand you when you only speak by using links for what others have said....what do YOU have to say chuck?

Not everyone who calls themselves a Christian is. God knows and can judge that.

If they are Christian and do curse you out, be careful. They might have a get out of hell free card and you don't.

There is a virtue of name calling that is pointed out in the Bible and it isn't profanity but you will not have a lawyer defend you against Jesus or the Apostles.

Now that you put Christianity on trial, do I get to put you on trial and you are going to cooperate?

Last edited:

Etc.

You were doing fine until you got to the "critical thought" comment. Then it just fell apart.

You haven't read the Republican Party Platform from Texas? They want critical thought outlawed from schools because they say that kids that think for themselves will stop listening to their parents. It's a topic that has been on this board several times. They even used the phrase "critical thought" in the Party Platform. It's astonishing to me the number of right wingers who support what they imagine their party to be and aren't really aware of what their leaders are actually saying.

Where is it listed in the bible that it's a sin to swear?

Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Matthew 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

The only way out of the next one is to ask forgiveness which is essentially to become a Christian.

Exodus 20:7 ¶ Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Forum List

Back