Why Do So Many Self-Proclaimed Christians Curse So Much, So Freely and So Publicly?

"Corrupt communication" deals with deceit, not swearing. Sort of like our president, who claims to be a Christian but can't open his mouth without spewing out a pack of lies.

Why do you assume that "corrupt communication" means cursing?
Could just as well mean lying!

"Corrupt communication" deals with deceit, not swearing. Sort of like our president, who claims to be a Christian but can't open his mouth without spewing out a pack of lies.
I think you folks are sadly mistaken.

In either case, here's a list of Scriptural passages that speak against cursing, aka using profanity...

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 5:4 - Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Matthew 12:36-37
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2 Timothy 2:16 - But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Proverbs 21:23 - Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Matthew 5:37 - But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Romans 12:21 - Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Timothy 4:12 - Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Doesn't Scripture state "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth?"

What's worse, is that many of them curse in the very "Religion and Ethics" threads, while discussing spiritual things.

It's as if they're demon-possessed.

Interestingly enough, the self-proclaimed Christians of USMB don't even call out the ones that do. They just let the curse words fly as if it's A-OK.

Why do you think that is? Are you guys co-signing on that type of behavior? Or is it something else I'm not aware of?

Please advise.

When Jesus called the Pharisees whitewashed tombs were his words corrupt communication? Did your narrow mind ever consider the possibility that it doesn't know everything? Could it be remotely possible that the words you think come from demons are actually edifying to others in some way, even if you are so pussified you can't see the necessity of tearing away the facade in order to deal with the corruption underneath?

Oh look, another thread where anti-christians use the religion thread to attack people for not adhering *properly* to a faith they themselves don't subscribe to.
Who told you that I'm anti-Christian?

I'm a Christian.

Are you? Do you honestly think that attending a sect that condemns people for celebrating life makes you a Christian? How do you reconcile the teachings of that sect with the fact that you spends so much time discussing politics in direct contradiction of the teachings of the John class? Would you like me to post their arguments against even joining a internet discussion forum just to prove how much of a hypocrite you are? Did you honestly think that no one else in the universe would be identify the source of your prattling about Christendom, and your insistence that people don't go to heaven after they die?

Are you aware that it is entirely possible to never curse and still have nothing but defilement spew from your lips?

Last edited:
Doesn't Scripture state "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth?"

What's worse, is that many of them curse in the very "Religion and Ethics" threads, while discussing spiritual things.

Interestingly enough, the self-proclaimed Christians of USMB don't even call out the ones that do. They just let the curse words fly as if it's A-OK.

Why do you think that is? Are you guys co-signing on that type of behavior? Or is it something else I'm not aware of?

Please advise.

In a word, Ignorance. They hold to beliefs they can't defend, so they attack and use vulgarity and profanity.

You know less about their beliefs than the average ant, what makes you think you can talk about it?

Please advise.

I try to avoid labeling people because of their language, for I do not know what is in their hearts. No judgments here.
There is no labeling being done here.

Scripture states that believers, followers of Christ, aka Christians are not to curse.

If I observed someone who has previously identified themselves as a Christian cursing and I point it out, that is not labeling.

It's merely an observation.

The fact that I'm bringing that observation to the forefront doesn't change that.

Not sure what's so difficult to grasp here.

No it does not, it states that their words are to edify. If it really worked the way you think Jesus would be condemned to hell for the way he talked to people who needed to here the truth.

My OP already addresses this Chuck.

I'm referring to self-proclaimed Christians, particularly of USMB. Not the athiests in Europe, but the self proclaimed Christians of USMB.

Many of which I've observed using curse words...regularly.

If you haven't observed this, that's fine, you're still a newbie, or you may just be turning a blind eye to that sort of thing, but I'm telling you, it occurs.

How do you know where they are from?

Who is a Christian? Who isn't a Christian? How long have they been Christian? What is their level of sanctification? Are they a born again Christian? Questions you need to ask before making judgments.

Did they just follow Him or were they converted?

James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
What judgement did I make Chuck? I'd like you to point that out.

Moreover, by you posting that particular text, are you advocating Christian cursing or suggesting that Scripture is or has given it some sort of "pass?"

Sidebar: Do you think that people who wear fake police uniforms are real police? What happens to people that are caught pretending to be police officers by actual law enforcement?

I get it, when you said "Self proclaimed Christians" you weren't actually judging anyone, you were simply stating a fact.

Newsflash, the only way for that not to be judging people is for to describe yourself as a self proclaimed Christian. Since you did not say that, and you in fact insisted that you are "A Christian" when challenged by another poster.

They need to make a country song just for people like you, perhaps along the lines of that old Hee Haw classic.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for self righteousness, I'd have no righteousness at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc,

How can I judge someone I can't see?

By what basis are they Christian? In Europe, you have atheists whose national origin is Christian because they have a state religion.

Jesus says not everyone who calls me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

James says no one can tame the tongue.

We still have a sin nature.

Chuck

I'm referring to self-proclaimed Christians, particularly of USMB. Not the athiests in Europe, but the self proclaimed Christians of USMB.

If you haven't observed this, that's fine, you're still a newbie, or you may just be turning a blind eye to that sort of thing, but I'm telling you, it occurs.

Who is a Christian? Who isn't a Christian? How long have they been Christian? What is their level of sanctification? Are they a born again Christian? Questions you need to ask before making judgments.

James 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

there is MORE than your one verse on it Chuck, look! and look at your verse in CONTEXT Chuck, certainly you know this....?

35 Bible Verses about Using Profanity

Colossians 3:8 ESV / 523 helpful votes

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Ephesians 4:29 ESV / 414 helpful votes

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:10-11 ESV / 376 helpful votes

And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

James 3:10 ESV / 292 helpful votes

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

Matthew 12:36-37 ESV / 289 helpful votes

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Ephesians 5:4 ESV / 259 helpful votes

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

James 3:6-8 ESV / 152 helpful votes

And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

2 Timothy 2:16 ESV / 133 helpful votes

But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

Proverbs 21:23 ESV / 129 helpful votes

Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Psalm 19:14 ESV / 86 helpful votes

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Matthew 5:37 ESV / 77 helpful votes

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

Luke 6:45 ESV / 70 helpful votes

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Romans 12:2 ESV / 66 helpful votes

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Proverbs 4:24 ESV / 65 helpful votes

Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you.

Psalm 141:3 ESV / 63 helpful votes

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

James 1:26 ESV / 62 helpful votes

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

James 3:11-13 ESV / 59 helpful votes

Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water. Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Proverbs 6:12 ESV / 59 helpful votes

A worthless person, a wicked man, goes about with crooked speech,

1 Timothy 4:12 ESV / 53 helpful votes

Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Colossians 4:6 ESV / 53 helpful votes

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Psalm 34:13-14 ESV / 49 helpful votes

Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Proverbs 10:31-32 ESV / 48 helpful votes

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but the perverse tongue will be cut off. The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse.

1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV / 43 helpful votes

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Romans 12:21 ESV / 34 helpful votes

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Psalm 10:7 ESV / 34 helpful votes

His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.

Titus 2:6-8 ESV / 32 helpful votes

Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

Proverbs 8:13 ESV / 32 helpful votes

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

Ecclesiastes 5:6 ESV / 31 helpful votes

Let not your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry at your voice and destroy the work of your hands?

James 4:7 ESV / 28 helpful votes

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Philippians 4:8 ESV / 21 helpful votes

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Exodus 20:7 ESV / 21 helpful votes

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Proverbs 18:21 ESV / 17 helpful votes

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Matthew 5:22 ESV / 13 helpful votes

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Proverbs 31:26 ESV / 12 helpful votes

She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

Proverbs 1:1-33 ESV / 9 helpful votes

The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase

Last edited:

In either case, here's a list of Scriptural passages that speak against cursing, aka using profanity...

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 5:4 - Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2 Timothy 2:16 - But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Proverbs 21:23 - Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Matthew 5:37 - But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Timothy 4:12 - Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

I can think of examples of Jesus violating every single one of those, does that mean he was a self proclaimed Christian, or does it mean you are an idiot?

there is MORE than your one verse on it Chuck, look!

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water. Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but the perverse tongue will be cut off. The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.

Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

Let not your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry at your voice and destroy the work of your hands?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase

Do you want me to jump all over you, or does me pointing out the silliness of Marc attempting to condemn Jesus suffice?

Marc,

How can I judge someone I can't see?

By what basis are they Christian? In Europe, you have atheists whose national origin is Christian because they have a state religion.

Jesus says not everyone who calls me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

James says no one can tame the tongue.

We still have a sin nature.

Chuck

Have you not cursed Marc? I believe you have used curse words on this very board. Also until now, I have not seen you utter anything about this. You are perceived as a very self righteous individual.

Also you are passing a judgement of Chuck, by accusing him of turning a blind eye.

Best to get the rafter out of your own eye.

Marc,

My list is longer than yours. My list is about three pages.

Chuck

Please advise.

In a word, Ignorance. They hold to beliefs they can't defend, so they attack and use vulgarity and profanity.

Have you ever seen me use profanity here?

there is MORE than your one verse on it Chuck, look! and look at your verse in CONTEXT Chuck, certainly you know this....?

And your point is?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdKwBkDowU]Barack Obama giving Hillary Clinton the finger?? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc8Wc1CN7sY]Obama Gives McCain the Middle Finger - YouTube[/ame]

What judgement did I make Chuck? I'd like you to point that out.

Moreover, by you posting that particular text, are you advocating Christian cursing or suggesting that Scripture is or has given it some sort of "pass?"

Sidebar: Do you think that people who wear fake police uniforms are real police? What happens to people that are caught pretending to be police officers by actual law enforcement?

I wasn't talking about you judging.

there is MORE than your one verse on it Chuck, look!

Do you want me to jump all over you, or does me pointing out the silliness of Marc attempting to condemn Jesus suffice?
quantum, please show us where Jesus did the opposite of what the Bible teaches on this, as you stated.....as fact. Don't run, just show us...back up what you said please.

And your point is?
YOU FIRST chuck, what is your point? What have you been trying to say with your posts? Maybe I have misunderstood you? So, please explain to me what you were trying to say or what you meant....

And your point is?
YOU FIRST chuck, what is your point? What have you been trying to say with your posts? Maybe I have misunderstood you? So, please explain to me what you were trying to say or what you meant....

You first. And if you use one set of scriptures to judge, just remember that you have to judge people in the Bible as well and come out walking straight without accusing, blaming or charging God foolishly:

Job 1:22 ¶ In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

The Virtue of Name-Calling
The Trinity Foundation - The Virtue of Name-Calling

Forum List

Back