Why do some parents do not follow pop culture?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I knew a girl who wasnā€™t allowed to watch Melrose Place or Beverly Hills, 90210 because her Mom thought it was ā€œsmutā€. I gave her DVD copies of both shows behind her Momā€™s back! Fun times!

Why are parents so stupid?

Maybe because the parents are smart enough to stay away from that crap.

Iā€™m of the age to have watched those shows if my parents had allowed it. They didnā€™t. No WWE or college/pro basketball or many other things. MTV was off limits.

Iā€™m of the age to have watched those shows if my parents had allowed it. They didnā€™t. No WWE or college/pro basketball or many other things. MTV was off limits.

i can understand not being allowed to watch the wrestling bullshit, but why not basketball? & if you weren't allowed to watch MTV, then you are not as old as you pretend to be... & are probably younger than me.

I knew a girl who wasnā€™t allowed to watch Melrose Place or Beverly Hills, 90210 because her Mom thought it was ā€œsmutā€. I gave her DVD copies of both shows behind her Momā€™s back! Fun times!

Everyone has their own level of comfort and opinion of what is smut and what is not. A lot of factors figure into the making of our adult decision making process.
Sometimes it's simple ignorance of something that raises some folks hackles. Sometimes it's a fear. They fear the unknown will somehow influence their child in a negative way.
Every generation has its boogeymen. Unless it's an extreme to the nth level, most kids will grow up to be just fine without watching Melrose place, or listening to that heathen Elvis!

Let me guess.

You had a stack of National Geographic under your bed growing up and still have them.

Her mom was smart.

Pop culture is total trash.

Take it from a millennial.

Let me guess.

You had a stack of National Geographic under your bed growing up and still have them.

When he was nine, my brother found a playboy mag. I wondered if it had actually grown to his hand after a while. Forty years later and I bet he still has it. :)

Her mom was smart.

Pop culture is total trash.

Take it from a millennial.

Yahbut I still like Gilligan's island...

Everyone has their own level of comfort and opinion of what is smut and what is not. A lot of factors figure into the making of our adult decision making process.
Sometimes it's simple ignorance of something that raises some folks hackles. Sometimes it's a fear. They fear the unknown will somehow influence their child in a negative way.
Every generation has its boogeymen. Unless it's an extreme to the nth level, most kids will grow up to be just fine without watching Melrose place, or listening to that heathen Elvis!
I second this. I wasn't allowed to watch R rated films until the year that I turned 15 years old. Con Air which was released that year was the first R-rated film that my mom and me watched together which is just one of our favorite films starring Nicholas Cage. :) :) :)

God bless you and him and my mom always!!!

Holly

Negative. Her parents took responsibility for development of their daughter's sense of personal responsibility and moral character. Keeping our children unplugged from 'The Machine' or limiting their exposure to its relativistic current is the hallmark trait of wise men and wise women. Unfortunately, while the traits still exist, the embodiment no longer does.

i can understand not being allowed to watch the wrestling bullshit, but why not basketball? & if you weren't allowed to watch MTV, then you are not as old as you pretend to be... & are probably younger than me.

I was thinking the same thing. MTV was founded in August of 1981. If you were still under your parent's control in 1981, you are not as old as you pretend.

We got basic cable in 1987. I was 13 at the time. My father hated the way basketball is now played. He referred to it as ā€œwrestling in shortsā€ and couldnā€™t stand the physical play and dunking.

We got basic cable in 1987. I was 13 at the time. My father hated the way basketball is now played. He referred to it as ā€œwrestling in shortsā€ and couldnā€™t stand the physical play and dunking.

So you are only 44 years old?

Only 44? Stop trying to marginalize your dilemma. You're just an old fuck. :tongue:

I forced my daughter to watch pop culture. I dragged her to Comic Cons and LARP events.

It paid off. Now she's got a good job being a pop culture guru.

Last edited:

Only 44? Stop trying to marginalize your dilemma. You're just an old fuck. :tongue:

Iā€™m not marginalizing anything. I am old. I have never made a secret of my age. So save your attitude for someone who gives a fuck.

Iā€™m not marginalizing anything. I am old. I have never made a secret of my age. So save your attitude for someone who gives a fuck.

I shouldn't have to save my attitude for long. :D

Anathema said:
90210 Wasn't Bad At All
WWE Was A Riot
MTV Was Great It's First Couple Years

Anyone Remember The Fist Few Years Of Dallas ??

Trash Is Now The Disney Channel
Give It A Look Sometime
Then Look How The Girls Come Out Of There

Hmm.......

Last edited:

Forum List

Back