🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do we celebrate Independence Day?

The 4th was about poor people fighting to make sure the few white elite got to keep all the profits instead of paying tribute to england. This was disguised in package called the declaration of independence worded to make people believe things were going to be really different from that point on.
It's true my ancestors didn't care much about what the elites were doing, so long as they could sell their lumber and sail their ships, catch their fish. But they were all in for the Revolution. The Revolution may have been started by rich white guys who didn't want to pay taxes, but a lot of the "ordinary" people really wanted a say in the laws that affected their lives. They got it.

The 4th of July is not complicated, it's very basic.
Americans who do not know the basic facts regarding this date are ignorant and lousy Americans.
There is no excuse regardless of age.
No one said it was complicated. It is very basic. The question was why is it considered some travesty if you dont know about it? If I were a white person I would be ashamed my poor ancestors were fooled into fighting the revolutionary war for the rich whites.
Were you educated in public schools? I think the reason some people get so bent out of shape when folks don't know the significance of July 4 is, it shows you must have slept through most of your elementary and high school educations. In America, it is the equivalent of not knowing that water is wet.

The crown kidnapping men off the streets to be pressed into service on the British merchant ships had nothing to do with the revolution. Everyone wants to go yachting.

This is the result of finding history not worth learning.

late to this thread so haven't read much . As it is i am just glad that my and OldLadies ancestors kicked limey azz . Like i said , i haven't read much of thread .

The crown kidnapping men off the streets to be pressed into service on the British merchant ships had nothing to do with the revolution. Everyone wants to go yachting.

Guess so. That was the War of 1812.

No. It was the revolutionary war before it was the war of 1812. Not knowing our history is just sad. Sad.

America today and its bright future

americca.jpg

No. It was the revolutionary war before it was the war of 1812. Not knowing our history is just sad. Sad.
You're right--it was mentioned in the Declaration of Independence as one of our grievances. However, it was legal on both sides of the pond, not "kidnapping." Yacht club history by Tipsy.
British Navy Impressment | History Detectives | PBS

America has no bright future. It will dissolve into warring tribes.
------------------------------ don't know about Warring Tribes but i do hear theories about it dissolving into different independent areas or sections full of like minded peope TCLover .

The 4th was about poor people fighting to make sure the few white elite got to keep all the profits instead of paying tribute to england. This was disguised in package called the declaration of independence worded to make people believe things were going to be really different from that point on.
It's true my ancestors didn't care much about what the elites were doing, so long as they could sell their lumber and sail their ships, catch their fish. But they were all in for the Revolution. The Revolution may have been started by rich white guys who didn't want to pay taxes, but a lot of the "ordinary" people really wanted a say in the laws that affected their lives. They got it.
Thats why I say people were sold a con job. If you take a look at real history your ancestors were no better off than when they were under the king. Most couldnt even vote.

The 4th of July is not complicated, it's very basic.
Americans who do not know the basic facts regarding this date are ignorant and lousy Americans.
There is no excuse regardless of age.
No one said it was complicated. It is very basic. The question was why is it considered some travesty if you dont know about it? If I were a white person I would be ashamed my poor ancestors were fooled into fighting the revolutionary war for the rich whites.
Were you educated in public schools? I think the reason some people get so bent out of shape when folks don't know the significance of July 4 is, it shows you must have slept through most of your elementary and high school educations. In America, it is the equivalent of not knowing that water is wet.
My formative years I was not educated in public schools. I spent my last 5 years in public schools though. I can see people being amazed that a person doesnt know what occurred but I dont get the cause for celebration. Even it was about freedom and all those other buzz words not everyone won freedom even if they fought on the american side. Its a bunch of hypocritical bullshit in my opinion.

Thats correct. It had nothing to do with the revolutionary war. That was the war of 1812 dummy.

The Mariners' Museum : Birth of the U.S. Navy

"Of all the causes for the War of 1812, the impressment of American sailors into the Royal Navy was the most important for many Americans."

You are too dumb for words.

Thats why I say people were sold a con job. If you take a look at real history your ancestors were no better off than when they were under the king. Most couldnt even vote.
That isn't true, A. We are better off than being at the whim of a mentally ill monarch half a world away dictating what will become of us.

That isn't true, A. We are better off than being at the whim of a mentally ill monarch half a world away dictating what will become of us.
I thought the royalty in England nowadays were only tokens?

Last edited:
The comments in this thread are a perfect example of why we celebrate our independence and form of constitutional representation. Nowhere else on earth can someone find such a huge diversity of opinion and intellect without government interference and censorship.

Forum List

Back