🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why does Obama call ISIS, ISIL?

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
There has been little notice of the president’s insistent use of the acronym “ISIL” to describe the Sunni forces currently rampaging across Iraq, executing Iraqi military and creating a new massive refugee population in an already unstable area.

With the exception of Reuters and now the Associated Press, most news organizations have not referred to ISIL until President Obama began using the term, which stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. But when Obama used the term 5 times on June13, and 16 times in his commencement speech at West Point on June 19th, he was using his bully pulpit to make a point.

- See more at: Obama s Use of ISIL Not ISIS Tells Another Story The Fiscal Times

This is pretty interesting. Liberals will hate it, but.....

Well watch this.

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

The leader of ISIL calls it ISIL, not ISIS.

President Obama, the United Nations and some news organizations refer to the jihadist group by the acronym ISIL, which stands for Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.

CNN Global Affairs Correspondent Elise Labott said the U.S. has stuck with ISIL because the group appears to have to set it sights beyond Iraq and Syria. And also because Washington doesn't want to recognize their plans for a caliphate.
ISIS ISIL or the Islamic State - CNN.com

What's in a name? That which we call ISIL
By any other name would be as bloody.

Those who think ISIL is anti-Israel are simply misinformed. ISIS never stood for "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria," I was always "Islamic State of Iraq and alSham."

But then there's this:

DAIISH

Finally, a lesser-known acronym to Western readers: DAIISH. It is the straight Arabic shorthand for the group known as: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi Iraq wa al-Sham, commonly used in the Arab world and among many Arab media outlets and politicians.

Before western media got hold of the story, DAIISH was what it was called in Arabic.

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

I heard that soon he'll use the term ISIS and that's the cue for the Muslim Brotherhood to explode the Capitol and make Obama Emperor!!! :eek:

Exactly. He's actually calling on everyone to rise up and behead Republicans.

Levant - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

levant.jpg

Forum List

Back