Why does the Bible have authority?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
I would like to ask you a Simple question, maybe you've heard it before. The Bible is the primary source of Christian knowledge, some Christians take it literally, others don't, some pick and choose.
But what gives it its authority?
It seems to me that the authority of the Bible is given by itself, which makes no sense to me. It says it's the word of God, therefore it is? I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.
Does Bible have a weight in our life?
Bible%20Love.jpg

I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.

thank God it is since the Bible is the basis of Western Civilization without which you would have Hitler Stalin Mao and ISIS.

Do you understand?

The Bible was the basis for monarchs in Europe to claim absolute authority as their divine right.

Who decided God was wrong about that?

I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.

thank God it is since the Bible is the basis of Western Civilization without which you would have Hitler Stalin Mao and ISIS.

Do you understand?

The Bible was the basis for monarchs in Europe to claim absolute authority as their divine right.

NYC shows up again to prove what an ignoramus he is.

The Bible was the justification for LIMITING the absolute authority of the monarchy, and the eventual establishment of democracy.

But that's okay. Nobody expects more from you.

Do you understand?

dear, liberals demean our Constitution and monarchs demeaned the Bible. That does not mean the Constitution and Bible are mistaken. Do you understand?

The Bible has the same authority as To Kill A Mockingbird, and she was a much better writer with far better editors. The Bible BTW, gave us the Dark Ages and the Crusades, not things to be proud of...

Do you understand?
Nothing like America exists in Biblical teachings beyond the Sermon on the Mount, which is utterly ignored here.

The Bible has the same authority as To Kill A Mockingbird, and she was a much better writer with far better editors. The Bible BTW, gave us the Dark Ages and the Crusades, not things to be proud of...

Oh look, knee jerk claptrap.

Nothing like America exists in Biblical teachings

too stupid as always. The Bible established the notion of individual liberty at a time when humanity was enslaved by liberal govt. Today America represents individual liberty more than any other significant place in human history.

I would like to ask you a Simple question, maybe you've heard it before. The Bible is the primary source of Christian knowledge, some Christians take it literally, others don't, some pick and choose.
But what gives it its authority?
It seems to me that the authority of the Bible is given by itself, which makes no sense to me. It says it's the word of God, therefore it is? I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.
Does Bible have a weight in our life?

It's probably one of the biggest scandals in the history of Christianity, the lie that the Bible is a rule book and a source of authority. Not only does the Bible never give itself this role, but historically, sola scripture proves itself a product of authority, not an authority itself. Jesus said he would build a Church, not a book. Jesus invested his authority in a living church, full of fallible people, not in a book. It's by this authority that the Catholic Church determined what the Bible is, what books would be included or excluded from the official Christian canon in the councils of Rome and Hippo late in the 4th century.

Sola Scripture was a lie, formed by a mentally ill renegade from Christianity named Martin Luther. He is proof that errors in doctrine are not harmless, but create reverberating consequences that afflict humanity for generations to come. In Christianity, there is no higher authority than the Apostolic Synods of the Catholic and Orthodox Church.

too stupid as always. The Bible established the notion of individual liberty at a time when humanity was enslaved by liberal govt. Today America represents individual liberty more than any other significant place in human history.
It does nothing of the kind. The core lesson is fear the Lord your God and do His Will, or burn.

It does nothing of the kind. The core lesson is fear the Lord your God and do His Will, or burn.

yes and God's will is about how important each individual is, not how important some libNazi central govt is.

Catching on now??

The Bible was the justification for LIMITING the absolute authority of the monarchy, and the eventual establishment of democracy.

:lmao:

Really?

Let's see your "credible source".
Her level of ignorance simply amazes me. Slaves serve your masters to hey, I have an idea, let's take a vote. Yeah, that's not in the fucking Bible, OT or NT.

:lmao:

Really?

Let's see your "credible source".

dear, its called the Theory of 2 Swords. Jesus challenged the power of the liberal Roman State and forever weakened the power of govt in favor of the individual.
He did no such, which is why nearly all Jews rejected him.

For Rome he was just another trouble-maker, who they dealt with.

"Why does the Bible have authority?"

It doesn't, it's completely devoid of authority.

The bible is a collection of myths, legends, and fables written by men reflecting man's fear, ignorance, and hate. Something so subjective and absent of fact and evidence cannot possess 'authority.' This is why quoting bible verses is ridiculous and pointless.

Forum List

Back