Why does the left believe a corporate tax break "steals" money from the taxpayers?

https://abetterway.speaker.gov/_assets/pdf/ABetterWay-Tax-PolicyPaper.pdf

Problem #2: The Current Code Delivers Special Interest Subsidies and Crony Capitalism. The tax code is littered with hundreds of preferences and subsidies that pick winners and losers and create complexity. Instead of free-market competition that rewards success, our tax code directs resources to politically favored interests, creating a drag on economic growth and job creation. In fact, Washington encourages individuals and businesses to make investment decisions based not on the most promising new technologies and innovations, but instead on the promise of tax savings. Many of these tax preferences, sometimes referred to as “tax expenditures,” are special-interest giveaways that are masked as tax breaks instead of direct grants. For fiscal year 2016, such “spending” through the tax code amounts to more than $1.4 trillion, or almost three-fourths of the amount of revenue raised by the entire Federal income tax. When Washington picks winners and losers with the tax code, the American people ultimately pay higher tax rates and keep less of their hard-earned money.

Boom!

Get that through your THICK HEADS.

Problem #2: The Current Code Delivers Special Interest Subsidies and Crony Capitalism. The tax code is littered with hundreds of preferences and subsidies that pick winners and losers and create complexity. Instead of free-market competition that rewards success, our tax code directs resources to politically favored interests, creating a drag on economic growth and job creation. In fact, Washington encourages individuals and businesses to make investment decisions based not on the most promising new technologies and innovations, but instead on the promise of tax savings. Many of these tax preferences, sometimes referred to as “tax expenditures,” are special-interest giveaways that are masked as tax breaks instead of direct grants. For fiscal year 2016, such “spending” through the tax code amounts to more than $1.4 trillion, or almost three-fourths of the amount of revenue raised by the entire Federal income tax. When Washington picks winners and losers with the tax code, the American people ultimately pay higher tax rates and keep less of their hard-earned money.

Boom!

Are mortgage deductions and child credits examples of "government picking winners and losers and creating complexity"?

I'm not saying it's not a real issue, but there is complexity in there that people do want.

Boom!

Are mortgage deductions and child credits examples of "government picking winners and losers and creating complexity"?

I'm not saying it's not a real issue, but there is complexity in there that people do want.
I addressed the MID pages ago. It's a massive wealth transfer scheme. You are being robbed while bleeving you are getting to keep more of your own money.

One of the biggest hoaxes every pulled on taxpayers.

Since when does any self-respecting conservative champion government interference in personal behaviors and the marketplace?

You people are NOT conservatives. This is precisely why I call you pseudocons. You don't even know the basics of conservatism.

Demanding the government interfere in the housing market with a MID?

And you actually demand the government reward people for having kids? It just doesn't get more intrusive than that, you fucking retards.

First of all all corporate taxes are paid for by the people that buy the goods and services of the corporations. Any increase in taxation only increases the cost of the good and services.

If corps made no profit that would be true, but IT ISN'T.

You are confused Moon Bat.

If you make $10 and the filthy ass government takes $5 then you have really only made $5, haven't you? You price your goods and services to include the loss of that $5 the filthy government steals from you, don't you?

If they didn't make any profit then there would be no incentive for them to be in business, would it? No jobs, no tax revenues and no goods or services.

Profits are a good thing Moon Bat. They should never be taxed.

Taxes are a cost of doing business and that expense is passed along to the consumers.

Corporations don't really pay taxes. They just pass along the expense to the people that buy the goods and services. In other words when you stupid Moon Bats advocate raising corporate taxes then you are fucking yourself.

By the way, corporations have the liability of the filthy Federal corporate tax on profits but they are also paying a ton of other state and local taxes that are not dependent upon profits.

That $5 the corporation pays in taxes is the corporation's share of proving the government services and infrastructure that helped the corporation achieve that profit.

Government protects corporations' intellectual property through patents and trade marks - the most stringent protections in the world, which means others can't steal their processes. Taxes pay for those protections.

Taxes are used to educate the workers those corporations rely on. America is now losing jobs to countries with a better education system because American workers are so poorly educated. Taxes are needed to keep American workers competitive.

Taxes pay for the roads, water, and utility grids which provided essential services to corporations so that they are able to produce their goods and services or operate their stores.

Last but not least, taxes pay for the safety and security necessary in a first world country, that keep it from descending into chaos and anarchy.

Paying taxes isn't "theft" of money rightfully earned and belonging to these corporations or tax payers. It's paying their fair share of the costs of providing these services which the corporations need in order to operate their business in the first place.

There are lots of countries you can move to where you would pay no taxes on the money you make. Every single one of them is a Third World hell hole with no jobs, no infrastructure and no security.

If you want to live in a First World country, put your big boy pants on and pay your fucking taxes. And stop whining that it's "theft" because it's not.

Boom!

I addressed the MID pages ago. It's a massive wealth transfer scheme. You are being robbed while bleeving you are getting to keep more of your own money.

link up...but that big fat MID refund I get at the end of the year sure looks pretty real to me.

To repeat myself:

The MID results in higher tax rates. But it does even more damage than that. It actually causes home prices to increase.

Who benefits from higher housing prices?

Banks who lend mortgage money. Builders. Mortgage brokers. Real estate agents.

The real estate lobby spends over $100 million a year on campaign contributions and lobbying.

The poor dumb saps have been hoodwinked into bleeving the mortgage interest deduction means "I get to keep more of my own money!" Nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, the rubes are paying higher tax rates and more for their house than they should be. The MID is a massive transfer of wealth from their pockets into the pockets of bankers, builders, brokers, and real estate agents.

One widely cited 1996 study by Dennis Capozza, Richard Green, and Patric Hendershott estimated that eliminating the mortgage interest and property tax deductions would reduce housing prices in the short term by an average of 13 percent nationwide, with regional changes ranging from 8 to 27 percent.

How Would Reforming the Mortgage Interest Deduction Affect the Housing Market?

Ask yourself who benefits from you paying more than you should for your house.

Still bleev that deduction is "keeping my own money"?

You've been had, rubes.

Why Now's the Time to Kill the Mortgage Interest Deduction

Proponents of the deduction argue that it's a key component to keeping home prices up.

Do you hear that? An open admission the deduction drives up the cost of housing! How can ANY person who claims to be a conservative support this kind of direct government interference in the marketplace?

Huh?

What special kind of dipshit who thinks he is a libertarian argues FOR government intervention in the markets with tax deductions, exemptions, and credits?

As much as homebuilders argue that eliminating the deduction would hurt them, economists agree that the biggest impact would be on the highest-priced homes, with more reasonably priced real estate seeing little or no impact from getting rid of the deduction.

Homebuilders whining about losing their government tit.

Boom!

link up...but that big fat MID refund I get at the end of the year sure looks pretty real to me.
It looks good to you because you are innumurate and ignorant. You are paying a higher tax rate because of that MID. So it gets cancelled out.

And you are paying more for your house.

You've been had, rube. Bankers and homebuilders and realtors and brokers are literally making out like bandits.

At your expense.

To repeat myself:

The MID results in higher tax rates. But it does even more damage than that. It actually causes home prices to increase.

Well duh - ANY write-off is offset with general rate increase, but as a mortgage payer it does make owning a house more affordable for me.

More affordable real estate increases demand ok, but only by a small fraction of the benefit to me from MIT.

You cannot know how it looks to me to see the rubes championing the robbery of their own money.

You cannot know just how frustrating it is to see people who think they are conservatives defending the theft from their own pockets, and government control of their lives.

To repeat myself:

Well duh - ANY write-off is offset with general rate increase, but as a mortgage payer it does make owning a house more affordable for me.

More affordable real estate increases demand ok, but only by a small fraction of the benefit to me from MIT.
Your house would be 13 percent cheaper. How much is that?

How much is your deduction?

How much more taxes are you paying than you would with lower tax rates?

You are being had, and demonstrating incredible innumeracy.

The government punishes you with higher taxes if you don't take out a mortgage.

I dare any person claiming to be a conservative to defend this.

It's your fault the government got away with punishing you with higher taxes for not buying health insurance.

It looks good to you because you are innumurate and ignorant. You are paying a higher tax rate because of that MID. So it gets cancelled out.

You've been had, rube. Bankers and homebuilders and realtors and brokers are literally making out like bandits.

At your expense.

No dummy, your thought is missing QUANTITATIVE consideration.

Yes my general rate is higher and my house is perhaps more expensive, but not by as much as MIT benefit.

Volumes MATTER and are critical to taking sound positions and making true assertions.

Two people earning identical incomes are paying radically different amounts in taxes, depending how closely they each act according to the government's behavioral controls.

I dare anyone claiming to be a conservative to defend this.

To repeat myself:

Your house would be 13 percent cheaper.

Source? Methodology?

At your expense.

No dummy, your thought is missing QUANTITATIVE consideration.

Yes my general rate is higher and my house is perhaps more expensive, but not by as much as MIT benefit.

Volumes MATTER and are critical to taking sound positions and making true assertions.
Hey dumbshit. Your MID has to be made up for by higher tax rates. If it doesn't balance out, then the government has to borrow.

And that is exactly what is happening. The $1.4 trillion a year we spend on tax expenditures is why we have a $19 trillion debt.

Two people earning identical incomes are paying radically different amounts in taxes, depending how closely they each act according to the government's behavioral controls.

I dare anyone claiming to be a conservative to defend this.

Yes, if they have kids and a house they are paying less taxes.

Conservatives like houses and kids though, so a libertarian is someone more likely to agree with you.

Forum List

Back