Why Donald Trump’s supporters tolerate his lies

This period will be studied for a long time, just as similar periods have been (Europe, around 90 years ago, for example).

What these people still don't understand is that it has never been about Trump. It has been about those in Congress and media who have enabled him. It's also about THEM, his adoring followers.

Something like this is never about one person. But that's what they pretend, because he is their martyr, their protector. This is damn near religious for them.

This is a pretty spot on article. It does explain why a lot of Trump supporters fell for so many of his lies. And still do.

skipped........

“Among the many reasons that Trump’s supporters excuse his lying is that they, like Trump himself, do not really hold him to the standards that human persons are held to. And that is because many of his supporters, like Trump himself, do not consider him to be a person — he is more like a primal force or superhero, more than a person, but less than a person, too.”

I think the reason is that capitalism has made aggressiveness & lying a cultural norm. 'Winning' is all that matters.

A lot of Americans rely on their ability to bullshit in order to survive. They use 'force of personality' tactics and put honest people in the position where they look rude if they challenge the BS. They create social situations that make people conform to their lies or be rejected from their social groups.

Sales & marketing people are master bullshit artists and so are a lot of business people.

That's why Trump is their hero. He's a master bullshit artist and they love him for it.

This is a pretty spot on article. It does explain why a lot of Trump supporters fell for so many of his lies. And still do.

skipped........

“Among the many reasons that Trump’s supporters excuse his lying is that they, like Trump himself, do not really hold him to the standards that human persons are held to. And that is because many of his supporters, like Trump himself, do not consider him to be a person — he is more like a primal force or superhero, more than a person, but less than a person, too.”

You might have included the fact that this is an opinion piece

I started to read hoping that there might be some science behind it....but alas.....

I did find some of the theories interesting and I certainly do think those of us who supported him should reflect on why. (I could not read the link because it was a paywall to the NYT.)

I worry that the aggressive response from the left stopped people from doing that.

I no longer support him for several reasons.

Because we don't know what lies they are talking about (if anyone denies Trump is hyperbolic, they must be speaking of someone else), it's hard to really respond.

President Trump tends to exaggerate at times.
But no lies.

I voted for him twice, but I can't agree with you.

Now...one thing I wish we got straight is the promises these clowns make.

They say....I'm going to.....(turn this place into heaven).

They can't do squat without congress (who has their own agenda).

When they promise that stuff....I consider it worse than lying.

It is an insult. They know full well they can't produce.....and they know we know it too.

I voted for him twice, but I can't agree with you.

Now...one thing I wish we got straight is the promises these clowns make.

They say....I'm going to.....(turn this place into heaven).

They can't do squat without congress (who has their own agenda).

When they promise that stuff....I consider it worse than lying.

It is an insult. They know full well they can't produce.....and they know we know it too.

They are stating their wish list, their objectives.
Every intelligent person knows that our government is not ran by one (1) person.
They are only promising that this is the objective that they want to obtain -
(every party)

I think the reason is that capitalism has made aggressiveness & lying a cultural norm. 'Winning' is all that matters.

A lot of Americans rely on their ability to bullshit in order to survive. They use 'force of personality' tactics and put honest people in the position where they look rude if they challenge the BS. They create social situations that make people conform to their lies or be rejected from their social groups.

Sales & marketing people are master bullshit artists and so are a lot of business people.

That's why Trump is their hero. He's a master bullshit artist and they love him for it.

I'm with you on the Trump being a BS artist. But trying to connect that to capitalism, that's more than a stretch. Crony capitalism for sure. But not the kind of capitalism that 90% of Americans are part of.

But, let me interject one comment if I may.

Trump has the senate, so his promise to appoint conservative judges was doable.

And he produced.

Biggly !!!!

I also give him credit for that. But I don't praise him for it. He's a Republican president. Appointing conservative judges was his job. He did his job, that's it.

Praising him would be like praising someone for not committing a crime.

Did Trump lie and have his supporters make up excuses for his lies?

Constantly.

No more so than Obama supporters though.

I've never understood why people expect others to be different than they are.

Did Trump lie and have his supporters make up excuses for his lies?

Constantly.

No more so than Obama supporters though.

I've never understood why people expect others to be different than they are.
Uniparty members seldom grasp their favored politician’s lies and corrupt actions.

skipped........

Why do you Moon Bats tolerate Joe Potatohead's lies?

Are you idiots or what?

If you drew a Venn Diagram of blob supporters and those who are fans of professional wrestling; you'd see one circle. They believe wresting is real and if something does happen with real life implications that pops that balloon of make-believe; they simply pretend it didn't happen.

the 'rasslin' term is "kayfabe," meaning the "story line." we obviously live in an idiocracy where a criminal who can buy his way into the 'rasslin'; hall of fame (just another of hid "pasrticioation trohies" can be president,.

Forum List

Back