CDZ Why don't American, so called, "feminists" go after the hijab...an actual symbol of oppression....

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at guys like the op attempting to mansplain what "Feminism" ought to be.

In my mind feminism is really just one thing...the freedom and right to choose. The same freedom and right that men have. They same access to the same choices. And the right to choose means you can choose to be a stay at home mother and raise a family or a high powered CEO. Or you can choose to follow a faith that requires women to dress and behave "modestly" as symbol of their devotion to God or you can choose to reject it.

It's choice. No one has that right to take away that choice from any woman.
It’s the choice part that many of us have a problem with. Clealry many women who do not want to wear the garb run into trouble, even being murdered by their own family for daring to make that choice. It isn’t much of a choice if exercising it might result in your brutal murder - and that is what feminists should be getting uppity about - but - largely - crickets.
In much of the world women lack choice, whether it is forced marriage or rape or domestic violence or pursuing a vocation. It goes beyond religion and is ingrained in the cultures and that is much harder to eradicate. I think most people naturally pay more attention to what is happening in their own countries...but I do wish some would put aside the pink pussy hats and reach out to fight for their sisters in other parts of the world. Some do but...where is the media attention and anger?
With regard to hijab, it is the fundamentalist branch of the religion, not the culture, imho. That is why British Pakistanis, and muslims from different countries who live at home or elsewhere are wearing and are forcing it to be worn. They are from different cultures. UK Pakistani Muslim women more commonly wore saris until the last 15 years or so, until the fundamentalist Arabic influence changed that. And this is what happens with muslims who have emigrated to different countries from different countries.

That might be as clear as mud, but I hope it is understandable :lol:

Regarding the pussy hatters, I couldn’t agree more. But instead they align themselves with someone like Sarsour, who is anything but for women’s rights, as demonstrated by comments like this:

8AAADC67-C050-47D3-93BD-569CA215CC30.jpeg

Last edited:
As Muslim women, we actually ask you not to wear the hijab in the name of interfaith solidarity

....The Salt Lake Tribune published a photo of fresh-faced teenage girls, who were not Muslim, in the audience at the mosque, their hair covered with long scarves. KSL TV later reported: “The hijab — or headscarf — is a symbol of modesty and dignity. When Muslim women wear headscarves, they are readily identified as followers of Islam.”

For us, as mainstream Muslim women, born in Egypt and India, the spectacle at the mosque was a painful reminder of the well-financed effort by conservative Muslims to dominate modern Muslim societies. This modern-day movement spreads an ideology of political Islam, called “Islamism,” enlisting well-intentioned interfaith do-gooders and the media into promoting the idea that “hijab” is a virtual “sixth pillar” of Islam, after the traditional “five pillars” of the shahada (or proclamation of faith), prayer, fasting, charity and pilgrimage.

We reject this interpretation that the “hijab” is merely a symbol of modesty and dignity adopted by faithful female followers of Islam.

This modern-day movement, codified by Iran, Saudi Arabia, Taliban Afghanistan and the Islamic State, has erroneously made the Arabic word hijab synonymous with “headscarf.” This conflation of hijab with the secular word headscarf is misleading. “Hijab” literally means “curtain” in Arabic. It also means “hiding,” ”obstructing” and “isolating” someone or something. It is never used in the Koran to mean headscarf.

In colloquial Arabic, the word for “headscarf” is tarha. In classical Arabic, “head” is al-ra’as and cover is gheta’a. No matter what formula you use, “hijab” never means headscarf. The media must stop spreading this misleading interpretation....

As Muslim women, we actually ask you not to wear the hijab in the name of interfaith solidarity

Last edited:
Hijabs are not their problem
Hijabs are a symbol, and everyone knows it. We can ignore that, or we can just admit it.

Hijabs are more than a symbol of oppression, but of a religion, and a culture.

I would support a woman’s right to choose a hijab. But I can’t do much for an oppressed woman in another country who is being forced.

The reason Conservatives hate hijabs is because it is an open symbol of ...I am a Muslim

How dare they?

...We reject this interpretation that the “hijab” is merely a symbol of modesty and dignity adopted by faithful female followers of Islam.

This modern-day movement, codified by Iran, Saudi Arabia, Taliban Afghanistan and the Islamic State, has erroneously made the Arabic word hijab synonymous with “headscarf.” This conflation of hijab with the secular word headscarf is misleading. “Hijab” literally means “curtain” in Arabic. It also means “hiding,” ”obstructing” and “isolating” someone or something. It is never used in the Koran to mean headscarf.

In colloquial Arabic, the word for “headscarf” is tarha. In classical Arabic, “head” is al-ra’as and cover is gheta’a. No matter what formula you use, “hijab” never means headscarf. The media must stop spreading this misleading interpretation....

Last edited:

By Asra Q. Nomani and Hala Arafa December 21, 2015

.....Born in the 1960s into conservative but open-minded families (Hala in Egypt and Asra in India), we grew up without an edict that we had to cover our hair. But, starting in the 1980s, following the 1979 Iranian revolution of the minority Shiite sect and the rise of well-funded Saudi clerics from the majority Sunni sect, we have been bullied in an attempt to get us to cover our hair from men and boys. Women and girls, who are sometimes called “enforce-hers” and “Muslim mean girls,” take it a step further by even making fun of women whom they perceive as wearing the hijab inappropriately, referring to “hijabis” in skinny jeans as “ho-jabis,” using the indelicate term for “whores.”

But in interpretations from the 7th century to today, theologians, from the late Moroccan scholar Fatima Mernissi to UCLA’s Khaled Abou El Fadl, and Harvard’s Leila Ahmed, Egypt’s Zaki Badawi, Iraq’s Abdullah al Judai and Pakistan’s Javaid Ghamidi, have clearly established that Muslim women are not required to cover their hair. ...

Opinion | As Muslim women, we actually ask you not to wear the hijab in the name of interfaith solidarity

By Asra Q. Nomani and Hala Arafa

.....To us, the “hijab”is a symbol of an interpretation of Islam we reject that believes that women are a sexual distraction to men, who are weak, and thus must not be tempted by the sight of our hair. We don’t buy it. This ideology promotes a social attitude that absolves men of sexually harassing women and puts the onus on the victim to protect herself by covering up....

Opinion | As Muslim women, we actually ask you not to wear the hijab in the name of interfaith solidarity

How non Muslim women can lend their support for this is beyond me. I can only guess they do no homework whatsoever.

By Asra Q. Nomani and Hala Arafa

.....Unfortunately, the idea of “hijab” as a mandatory headscarf is promulgated by naïve efforts such as “World Hijab Day,” started in 2013 by Nazma Khan, the Bangladeshi American owner of a Brooklyn-based headscarf company, and Ahlul Bayt, a Shiite-proselytizing TV station, that the University of Calgary, in southwest Canada, promotes as a resource for its participation in “World Hijab Day.” The TV station argues that wearing a “hijab” is necessary for women to avoid “unwanted attention.” World Hijab Day, Ahlul Bayt and the University of Calgary didn’t respond to requests for comment.

In its “resources,” Ahluly Bayt includes a link to the notion that “the woman is awrah,” or forbidden, an idea that leads to the confinement, subordination, silencing and subjugation of women’s voices and presence in public society. It also includes an article, “The top 10 excuses of Muslim women who don’t wear hijab and their obvious weaknesses,” with the argument, “Get on the train of repentance, my sister, before it passes by your station.”.....

From the same article:

...Today, in the 21st century, most mosques around the world, including in the United States, deny us, as Muslim women, our Islamic right to pray without a headscarf, discriminating against us by refusing us entry if we don’t cover our hair. Like the Catholic Church after the Vatican II reforms of 1965 removed a requirement that women enter churches with heads covers, mosques should become headscarf-optional, if they truly want to make their places of worship “women-friendly.”...

By Asra Q. Nomani and Hala Arafa December 21, 2015

As Americans, we believe in freedom of religion. But we need to clarify to those in universities, the media and discussion forums that in exploring the “hijab,” they are not exploring Islam, but rather the ideology of political Islam as practiced by the mullahs, or clerics, of Iran and Saudi Arabia, the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Islamic State.

In the name of “interfaith,” these well-intentioned Americans are getting duped by the agenda of Muslims who argue that a woman’s honor lies in her “chastity” and unwittingly pushing a platform to put a hijab on every woman.

Please do this instead: Do not wear a headscarf in “solidarity” with the ideology that most silences us, equating our bodies with “honor.” Stand with us instead with moral courage against the ideology of Islamism that demands we cover our hair.

How non Muslim women can lend their support for this is beyond me. I can only guess they do no homework whatsoever.
See Post 86, and their "Oppressed/Oppressor" ledger.

Their commitment to their pet constituent religion is higher than for women and gays.

Slaughter a woman for the crime of being raped? Yeah, that's not good, but birthday cakes!

Slice the head off of an innocent child? Yeah, ouch, I don't like that, but Catholic veils!

I have a deeper and deeper respect for the power of ideology every single day.

Last edited:
And, its idiots like rightwinger that help keep muslim women "hidden". There are more of like him than most realize..hence the continuing problem for muslim women.

Pakistan killed Bhutto...oh lookie here...this is Canada...

Because she was as corrupt as shit.

Point is, you can't whine about them when they did something we refused to do.

You don't think white Christian people kill their children over arguments?

Dallas man to be executed for killing daughters with their mom on speakerphone

Alabama dad kills son, daughter, her fiancé then himself | Daily Mail Online

But it's okay! Those were white people. When white people do awful things, we talk about "mental illness'.
What about Canada incident? Under Sharia Law the murder was justified.

I remember when Catholic women wore veils to church as a symbol of faith
But for a Muslim to do so is offensive
There is a bit of a difference between a Catholic woman choosing to wear a veil to church, and a Muslim woman having to wear a hijab/burqa everywhere.

For crap's sake, come on. This is what I talk about - how far the Left will go to spin and deflect for that religion. And then they get angry when it's just pointed out.
Aren’t you assuming all or even most Muslim women are forced to? What is the difference between a Muslim woman wearing a hijab and a Jewish woman wearing a head covering everywhere?
Please Coyote...please. Women in the Muslim world are forced to have their clit cut out at 13 and are forced to wear hijab. Where is the rest of Islamic world to complain and advocate for change? Let’s protest at the Haj to Mecca? What would happen to us?

And, its idiots like rightwinger that help keep muslim women "hidden". There are more of like him than most realize..hence the continuing problem for muslim women.
Muslim women are not hidden

I see them in public all the time...just like I see orthodox Jewish women and the Amish who dress to comply with their religion

There is a bit of a difference between a Catholic woman choosing to wear a veil to church, and a Muslim woman having to wear a hijab/burqa everywhere.

For crap's sake, come on. This is what I talk about - how far the Left will go to spin and deflect for that religion. And then they get angry when it's just pointed out.
Aren’t you assuming all or even most Muslim women are forced to? What is the difference between a Muslim woman wearing a hijab and a Jewish woman wearing a head covering everywhere?
Please Coyote...please. Women in the Muslim world are forced to have their clit cut out at 13 and are forced to wear hijab. Where is the rest of Islamic world to complain and advocate for change? Let’s protest at the Haj to Mecca? What would happen to us?
Depends on where you are in the Muslim world. FGM is not limited to the Muslim world nor does it occur in all Muslim countries. Many groups are fighting to end it in the countries where it occurs. This is the fight we should support rather then wholesale trashing of a religion.

Depends on where you are in the Muslim world. FGM is not limited to the Muslim world nor does it occur in all Muslim countries. Many groups are fighting to end it in the countries where it occurs. This is the fight we should support rather then wholesale trashing of a religion.
I have been there done that. Most of Islamic World is harshly oppressive toward women. Liberals are shallow, political brainwashed robots to not see the obvious.

I have been there done that. Most of Islamic World is harshly oppressive toward women. Liberals are shallow, political brainwashed robots to not see the obvious.
It is their choice

All religions are idiotic....some more than others

No, I'm not assuming that. If something is worn purely by choice, I'm all for it. If it is required in any way, if there is the remotest form of pressure to do so, or expectation, or punishment for not doing so, not so much. And there is one (1) major religion with which the above can be associated. Obviously.

Except most Muslim countries don't.

SO let's get this straight, when moralists insist ladies cover their boobs, that's perfectly okay, but man, you tell her to cove her hair, and it's oppression, I tell you, oppression.

You know, and just not different cultures having different values

In all sincerity, it's difficult for me to believe that this is a serious conversation. My point about the Left and Islam continues to be illustrated, over and over and over. Equating modern day Islam with any other major modern day religion is clearly and simply an effort by the Left to protect it's pet, chosen, oppressed, constituent religion.

Again, one more time. Our problem with that region is our policy, not their religion.

Coming up with false outrage about hijabs or stolen incubators is kind of how the ancient Romans called everyone who didn't share their values as "barbarians", so then it's okay to take their stuff.

See Post 86, and their "Oppressed/Oppressor" ledger.

Their commitment to their pet constituent religion is higher than for women and gays.

Slaughter a woman for the crime of being raped? Yeah, that's not good, but birthday cakes!

Slice the head off of an innocent child? Yeah, ouch, I don't like that, but Catholic veils!

I have a deeper and deeper respect for the power of ideology every single day.

I know, when you have no values other than you own pomposity, then ideology is hard to understand.

Here's the thing. Fake outrage over minor incidents really doesn't justify our policies.

"We have to save the oil. Um... I mean the women! Yeah. The women. Who happen to standing above a bunch of oil, but we have to save them."

So we align with the more repressive regimes to take out the regimes that are more moderate, because, hey, we have to save that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back