Why don't Democrats give Trump the wall in exchange for something big?

RUNVS

Jan 22, 2015
I was thinking about this yesterday and apparently the Democrats have introduced a bill in the house that makes gerrymandering illegal, makes it a national holiday on election day, makes it illegal to donate large amounts of money without disclosing who gave the money, makes it illegal to wipe voter registrations and a few other things I have forgotten.

Now I read that there is zero chances of this bill even making it to the Senate but what if the Democrats went to Trump and said "we will give you the wall, all of it, we will give you all the money you need for it, we will even allow you to paint it gold and put your name on it, but in exchange we want this voting bill to get through. You agree to that, and you have a deal"

I mean, making gerrymandering illegal alone would help Democrats a lot, and while the Republicans would hate it, I think they could convince Trump to go for it since they could tell Trump "you know you are not getting elected again without that wall, this is your chance to get it built".

I mean, is there any reason why the Democrats would not do this, would not do something that would potentially help them a lot in the future, even if it does mean having to agree to Trump's wall?

If the wall won’t work why not give him the money and lock up 2020?

The wall would certainly help Trump with his 2020 election campaign, but making gerrymandering illegal and making it much easier to vote would really help the Democrats in 2020 as well. It would also keep on helping the Democrats well beyond 2020 as well.

The wall would certainly help Trump with his 2020 election campaign, but making gerrymandering illegal and making it much easier to vote would really help the Democrats in 2020 as well. It would also keep on helping the Democrats well beyond 2020 as well.
Easier to vote? Why is it hard now?

Well for instance making the election a public holiday would make it much easier to vote, as would making it illegal to wipe voter registration roles as having to continually re-register to vote would turn a lot of people away.

ALso possibly creating more polling places, or increasing the amount of time people have to submit postal votes.

Trump said he wants to give something back. So it is time for him to open his money bags and fund that wall.

Well for instance making the election a public holiday would make it much easier to vote, as would making it illegal to wipe voter registration roles as having to continually re-register to vote would turn a lot of people away.

ALso possibly creating more polling places, or increasing the amount of time people have to submit postal votes.
Sounds like you want a lot of illegal ballots.. why a holiday? You have all day to vote. The poor need to work, we can’t take time off like you.
Clean the ballot please all the dead that democrats bring back to vote is stealing elections. I’d like more money invested in voter fraud

I was thinking about this yesterday and apparently the Democrats have introduced a bill in the house that makes gerrymandering illegal, makes it a national holiday on election day, makes it illegal to donate large amounts of money without disclosing who gave the money, makes it illegal to wipe voter registrations and a few other things I have forgotten.

Now I read that there is zero chances of this bill even making it to the Senate but what if the Democrats went to Trump and said "we will give you the wall, all of it, we will give you all the money you need for it, we will even allow you to paint it gold and put your name on it, but in exchange we want this voting bill to get through. You agree to that, and you have a deal"

I mean, making gerrymandering illegal alone would help Democrats a lot, and while the Republicans would hate it, I think they could convince Trump to go for it since they could tell Trump "you know you are not getting elected again without that wall, this is your chance to get it built".

I mean, is there any reason why the Democrats would not do this, would not do something that would potentially help them a lot in the future, even if it does mean having to agree to Trump's wall?
Sounds like a good idea, but it won’t fly. The Ds can’t afford to give Trump anything, as they would face the rath of their rabid, inflamed, and crazed base.

Do you think that people that pay no income tax should vote? Do you think women should vote?

Sounds like a good idea, but it won’t fly. The Ds can’t afford to give Trump anything, as they would face the rath of their rabid, inflamed, and crazed base.

See I am not so sure. I think gerrymandering is an issue a lot of Democrat voters have been concerned about for a number of years. Removing it would probably be seen as a win, even if it ends up costing $30 billion for the border wall.

Short term Trump would get exactly what he wants, and it would help with his base a lot, but the Democrats get something short term and long term, as removing gerrymandering and making it easier to vote would help the Democrats not only in 2020 but in all future elections as well.

I suspect Mitch McConnell would hate the idea though, but if the Democrats could convince Trump then he would be able to find enough Republican senators to support him in the deal.

Do you think that people that pay no income tax should vote? Do you think women should vote?

Um obviously yes. Who would say no to those questions?
I would... why should someone that doesn’t pay income tax get a right to vote? ( and by that I mean people that refuse to work) and why should a woman that can’t fight in war vote to put me in war?

Exactly. Why are we going to make any deal at all over something that should be happening?

Or we can wait for Trump to implode, take the Senate and White HOuse, and get all those things without putting up a hateful wall.

How did the Dems voted on prison reform?

The answer is obvious (IMO)...politics.

The Dems know Trump HAS to give his base the wall (now it is a fence). When he backed off the idea in December - his hardcore media base went NUTS on him (Limbaugh, Coulter at al)...so he caved.

The Dems know that if they can force him to cave, he is probably toast in 2020 before the game even starts. So I assume the Dems will not compromise until public perception forces them to...if it ever does.

Politically - both are doing the 'right' thing. Unfortunately, they are both acting like babies. Trump already was prepared to forget the wall money earlier (for now)..so he is just reacting to his base. And $5 billion ain't gonna break a roughly, what, $4 trillion budget.

It's JUST politics.

For me, DACA for the wall money seems a fair compromise.

Let's see who caves on what and by how much.

Or we can wait for Trump to implode, take the Senate and White HOuse, and get all those things without putting up a hateful wall.
But destroying poor towns like democrats do with immigration isn’t hate?

Um obviously yes. Who would say no to those questions?
I would... why should someone that doesn’t pay income tax get a right to vote? ( and by that I mean people that refuse to work) and why should a woman that can’t fight in war vote to put me in war?

uh... cause of the 14th amendment to the constitution of the united states.

what you are suggesting is a modern version of the jim crow laws AND in case you didn't get the memo... not only have females been signing up to join the military voluntarily... they serve in combat. & don'tcha worry - if the draft was ever truly enacted, women will be required to show up.

Last edited:
For me, DACA for the wall money seems a fair compromise.

Let's see who caves on what and by how much.

No, actually, it isn't. A wall is an immoral monument to racism and hate.

We can wait a few years for DACA.

Forum List

Back