🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

Save your high speed riding for country roads and interstates

Naw, man, country roads are for cruising and relaxing. This is me, somewhere in Kentucky, back in 2013:

biker01.jpg

Ah yes,observing the speed limit,no doubt...heh heh

I was probably right around the speed limit. It was on a cross country trip, and it was a road I'd never ridden before. I tend to take it easy on those. Hell, the first time I rode The Tail of the Dragon I think I was doing 20mph for most of it. I may have been going a bit faster on subsequent runs...

I was probably right around the speed limit. It was on a cross country trip, and it was a road I'd never ridden before. I tend to take it easy on those. Hell, the first time I rode The Tail of the Dragon I think I was doing 20mph for most of it. I may have been going a bit faster on subsequent runs...
Well that I understand. If you have never ridden the Dragon, then you don't know the handling capabities/limitations of your bike on the Dragon.

My favorite rider is a low CG cruiser with a racing engine in it. V4, 4 into 4 pipes. It's handling is too good for itself, and I will drag my pipes, if I lean too far into a turn. So that bike is limited in its high speed handling by its own design.

Last edited:
The motorcycle driver could wear a vest that would inflate to size of a 12-foot diameter beach ball upon impact.

Then you would safely bounce off the oncoming vehicle and bounce down the highway.

When is the last time any of you "thought" about pushing your brake pedal or gas pedal? This becomes automatic, for the most part. Muscle memory, an unconscious part of driving.

Our brains and bodies are also trained by years of watching cars travel toward and away from us. We don't put much thought into it. We judge distance and speed virtually unconsciously.

Well, motorcycles are smaller than cars. When you see a motorcycle, it defies your unconscious training on speed and distance. It fools your mind into thinking it is both further away and traveling more slowly than it is.

Even the most experienced drivers can't get around this, other than exercising a conscious effort to do so.

Riders needto make their own, conscious effort to understand this limitation of the human mind and to practice best safety practices.

Good post.........

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.
Never owned or even been on a motorbike. You are likely to receive some injury when crashing, possibly becoming a cabbage or dying. So seat belts and airbags will work whilst sat in a metal box but little use on a motorbike.

That was cool.... At least it gives some help when it comes to hitting a stationary object, even if the bike doesn't have much in the front before the rider is thrown forward by the momentum of the crash. Any help is good in such a situation. Still dangerous to ride, but I guess my old age is talking. When young I felt invincible. lol
As a former trail bike enthusiast, I can see where an air bag might have helped when I crashed into a tree. Now, my friend who I was toting would have still flown off the bike (relatively unscathed) but with a helmet working in conjunction with an airbag backup might have helped me, had I needed it. I never let go and likely wouldn’t have done so unless impact made me lose grip, but it didn’t so in that case it could help.

How about an ejection seat and parachute? This would get you out of town until the dust settles, but would suck in a tunnel or under power lines...

Better yet......people on motorcycles should wear safety vests.....instead of just ninja black leather.....that would be an easier way to see them.....you know how they always say "Start Seeing Motorcycles," then wear the hardest to see clothing they can find....also? A strobe on the front and rear of the motorcycle, either a red light or white light would help a lot too......it would catch the eye...
Is that legal though? A strobe light?

That actually is a good idea imho.

Is that legal though? A strobe light?

That actually is a good idea imho.

Yeah......I've seen regular bikes with a blinking red light in the back....you could have one on the front and rear of a motorcycle.....and the safety vest thing would be good too......make the rider reflect, easier to see in the dark...

Yeah......I've seen regular bikes with a blinking red light in the back....you could have one on the front and rear of a motorcycle.....and the safety vest thing would be good too......make the rider reflect, easier to see in the dark...
Another great option is red LED flood lights that flood the ground around your bike with red light, when you apply the brakes.

Another great option is red LED flood lights that flood the ground around your bike with red light, when you apply the brakes.

Yep......that makes sense......Or on all the time.....make you much more visible without blinding on coming drivers...

Yep......that makes sense......Or on all the time.....make you much more visible without blinding on coming drivers...
Right, on all the time. I am going to install and LED set on my bike for this reason. And I will set it to turn red, when I apply the brakes.

they are cheap and easy to install.

Right, on all the time. I am going to install and LED set on my bike for this reason. And I will set it to turn red, when I apply the brakes.

they are cheap and easy to install.

My thought is this...by the time you are braking, it is too late.......

My thought is this...by the time you are braking, it is too late.......
Yes, but more for riding at night, so ither motorists can see right where you are, judge your speed better, etc. Lots of bikes get plowed from behind at stop signs at night.

Yes, but more for riding at night, so ither motorists can see right where you are, judge your speed better, etc. Lots of bikes get plowed from behind at stop signs at night.

That's why I wonder why not have it on all the time...red light doesn't carry as far, but having it circle your bike as you ride would make you easier to see all the time....unless it is illegal....which I guess it would be........right?

That's why I wonder why not have it on all the time...red light doesn't carry as far, but having it circle your bike as you ride would make you easier to see all the time....unless it is illegal....which I guess it would be........right?
If thrown on the ground, I think it is legal.

Forum List

Back