Why don't you have any black friends?

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Recently, a Reuters poll came out showing that 40% of white Americans have zero nonwhite friends, and only 20% of white Americans have five or more nonwhite friends. People seemed shocked that the numbers were so bad.

The Reuters survey itself is misleading, lumping all minorities together under the vague heading of "nonwhite." Depending on what part of the country you live in (e.g, anywhere but Minnesota or Wyoming), it's not uncommon to have Asian or Hispanic friends.

The reason why "How many black friends do you have?" is such a terrible question is because it shows how we typically talk when we talk about race. Even when we try to talk about race in a constructive way, we usually make black people the object of the sentence, rarely the subject.

Black friends are the things to be acquired to prove one is not racist. The way the question is asked accords black people no agency, nor does it reveal anything about the real character of the white person being queried.

Opinion: Why don't whites have black friends? - CNN.com

Recently, a Reuters poll came out showing that 40% of white Americans have zero nonwhite friends, and only 20% of white Americans have five or more nonwhite friends. People seemed shocked that the numbers were so bad.

The Reuters survey itself is misleading, lumping all minorities together under the vague heading of "nonwhite." Depending on what part of the country you live in (e.g, anywhere but Minnesota or Wyoming), it's not uncommon to have Asian or Hispanic friends.

The reason why "How many black friends do you have?" is such a terrible question is because it shows how we typically talk when we talk about race. Even when we try to talk about race in a constructive way, we usually make black people the object of the sentence, rarely the subject.

Black friends are the things to be acquired to prove one is not racist. The way the question is asked accords black people no agency, nor does it reveal anything about the real character of the white person being queried.

Seems blacks want it that way. Anyone who isn't black must be white. Just look at the Zimmerman trial. It was clear to everyone he was Hispanic Latino yet they decided to call him white.

When was the last time everyone was talking about race relations with respect to any other race? It only seems to matter when the left wants it to. Blacks are the primary focus, and sometimes Hispanics when they want to race-bait about immigration.

Fact is most whites don't think about the subject or care about the subject. Seems only blacks are totally immersed in this racial quandary. They live, eat, breathe, and sleep race.

Seems blacks want it that way. Anyone who isn't black must be white. Just look at the Zimmerman trial. It was clear to everyone he was Hispanic Latino yet they decided to call him white.

When was the last time everyone was talking about race relations with respect to any other race? It only seems to matter when the left wants it to. Blacks are the primary focus, and sometimes Hispanics when they want to race-bait about immigration.

Fact is most whites don't think about the subject or care about the subject. Seems only blacks are totally immersed in this racial quandary. They live, eat, breathe, and sleep race.

So Zimmermans father wasn't German?

Why does it matter with him when Obama's mother is white? 99% of blacks in America have white ancestors. Doesn't seem to change the fact that they're black.

Obviously this poll is meaningless. It doesn't even pass the smell test.
Especially in metropolitan areas it would be impossible to not have a single friend who is not a minority.
Ridiculous.

I personally know many blacks and some of them are good friends.

But they ALL have one thing in common.

Everything is seen and judged thru the lens of race and racism.

They are consumed by it 24/7/365

It's what defines their thinking and world view. .. :cool:

CNNOpinion
Money phrase!!

My bestie is African-American.
My close neighbors are Muslin, Hispanic, Indians (from the country of India), Moroccan, Jamaican, Arabs, Asian etc, etc.
Not to mention those whom I grew up with. I was color blind to race/ethnicity. Skin color/heritage was just not my deal. If it were, I'd have to disown 96% of my immediate family.

I personally know many blacks and some of them are good friends.

But they ALL have one thing in common.

Everything is seen and judged thru the lens of race and racism.

They are consumed by it 24/7/365

It's what defines their thinking and world view. .. :cool:

Sunni, truth to the bold!

While I do agree with the underlined, it's not everyone.

I was SHOCKED by the way I was treated by many (not all) when I lived in Virginia merely because of the color of my skin.

It all boils down to respect for all mankind. :eusa_angel:

I don't have many black friends. I do have quite a few black aquaintences and coworkers but not close friends.

I believe that it does not necessarily relate to skin color as much as culture. Blacks have a different culture than whites. Different life experiences.

If I had a community of Swedes or Germans in my neighborhood, I still probably would not hang out with them. They may look just like me, but they have a different culture and life experiences

a Reuters poll came out showing that 40% of white Americans have zero nonwhite friends

Which proves either that Whites are prejudiced and /or Minorities are prejudiced, or perhaps simply that birds of a feather flock together.

:lol:

Visit any integrated school and you will see why: Self segregation. Ever heard of the Black Student Union? Oreos? Uncle Toms? Black kids who identify with White values are ostracized by their peers.

I don't have many black friends. I do have quite a few black aquaintences and coworkers but not close friends.

I believe that it does not necessarily relate to skin color as much as culture. Blacks have a different culture than whites. Different life experiences.

If I had a community of Swedes or Germans in my neighborhood, I still probably would not hang out with them. They may look just like me, but they have a different culture and life experiences

Racist!!!!!!

I don't usually hang out with anyone other than my wife. (She's black)

I'll hang out with whoever is willing to hang out with me. I don't care what religion, nationality, or class they belong to.

Except Raider fans.

When I lived in new Orleans, MOST of my friends were black.. My best friend was. My niece has a black baby and currently married to a black man . My best friend now is MEXICAN and thinks the borders need to be closed GASP.. Another good friend I made in New Orleans and still friends today , even stayed with us during Katrina for a month is from Honduras .. One of my sons friends are black ( they have more but this is the only one I met) one summer was fighting with his parents and stayed over here for the whole summer his mother knew where he was and was ok with it . I treated him as my son while he was here. HE got everything they did...But us Rep are racist right..

OH and being a military spouse I have had so many peoples of colors, religion , in my house without hesitation through the years

I'm old. My family has either moved away or died. I live with two guys. One 78 with cancer who has about a year or so left and one my age with a heart problem. The guy with the heart problem is black with a gold front tooth. Looks cool. He used to be a basketball player but now moves kind of slow. These two are my best friends. I'm the only one working, but they clean and cook and shop and do my laundry so I have a lot s spare time away from work. Circumstances made them my best friends, if it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have a black as a best friend just because I don't know or work around many. And I never hang out with the people I work with. I made that a rule decades ago so I don't get drawn in to office politics. Just sayin'.

Why does it matter with him when Obama's mother is white? 99% of blacks in America have white ancestors. Doesn't seem to change the fact that they're black.

Yeah, except when you want to claim the whiteness. Like with Obama.

Say Obama is the first black president and white people are quick to say HALF WHITE!!

Say Zimmerman and those same people don't want anything to do with the half white. "Oh HE's HISPANIC!!!! White doesn't matter now"

Btw the POLICE said he was WHITE. The Police have been given a new name...the repubs call them "the media". Such as "The Media said he was white"

:lol:

by that logic an interracial black and white person should not be called black.

Forum List

Back