Why earn...

Education in South Korea is provided by both public schools and private schools. Both types of schools receive funding from thegovernment, although the amount that the private schools receive is less than the amount of the state schools.[3]

Higher education is an overwhelmingly serious matter in South Korea, where it is viewed as one of the fundamental values of South Korean life. There, academic success is often a source of pride for families and within South Korean society at large. South Koreans view education as the main propeller of social mobility for themselves and their family as a gateway to the middle class. Graduating from a top university is the ultimate marker of high status, future socioeconomic status, marriage prospects, and prestige and respectable employment prospects. Pressure to succeed academically is deeply ingrained in South Korean children from an early age.

In 2010, the country spent 7.6% of its GDP on all levels of education – significantly more than the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) average of 6.3%. The country has fostered an education system that helped transform the country and rapidly grow its economy over the past 60 years.[4] South Korea’s zeal for education and its students’ desires to get into a prestigious university is one of the highest in the world, as the entrance into a top tier higher educational institution leads to a prestigious, secure and well-paid job with the government, banks, a major South Korean business conglomerate such as Samsungor LG Electronics.[5] With incredible pressure on high school students to secure places at the nation’s best universities, its institutional reputation and alumni networks are strong predictors of future job and career prospects. The top three universities in South Korea, often referred to as "SKY", are Seoul National University, Korea University and Yonsei University.[6][7][8] Competition for top marks and studying hard to be the top student is deeply ingrained in the psyche of South Korean students at a young age.[8]

Education in South Korea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just because you are a dumbkopf that puts no value on education does not mean that everyone else is that stupid.

Instead of pasting the entire Wikipedia page, you could just post the link. You could also try to use legitimate sources instead of Wikipedia.

Dumbest generalization ever.

I'm not claiming those in other fields are necessarily common sense geniuses, but I find those who have spent more than 4 years in a university environment have far more often lost touch will the reality of the world around them have. At least in my experience.
Does having "common sense" mean they have to share your values and worldview? Or maybe it is you who have lost touch with reality?

While college may indirectly benefit society, it mostly benefits the individuals that go to college. But even if you want to make the claim of social benefits, we currently have no shortage of college students. That's why college costs so much money today. On average, they are currently operating at almost a 20% profit margin.
I don't disagree with anything you say about roads but...

- you could say the exact same thing about high school

- my education certainly helped me directly but I've made direct contributions to society. I've earned more money so I paid more taxes. The difference between what I make today and what I would have made had without a college degree means I paid more taxes, probably more that offsetting the subsidies I got for college. I would think everyone would agree that it is cheaper for the government to pay for a vaccine than society suffering the costs of an epidemic.

There is no epidemic here. We have more people going to college than ever. In fact, we have more college graduates still living with their parents because they can't find jobs.

What we do need are more tradesmen. We need welders, bricklayers, electricians and so on.

As for paying additional tax, you will never pay enough additional tax in a lifetime to repay what you got by having taxpayers fund your college. I mean, so I go to work everyday. I pay taxes. I fund a person going to be a doctor or a lawyer. Then when I need a doctor or a lawyer, they charge me $300.00 for a visit or more. Wait a minute! Didn't I pay for you to be a professional, and now you are going to rape me in fees?

We need to draw the line somewhere. I'm sick of paying for everybody else's kids. I pay for them to go to elementary school, to middle-school, to high school. I even pay for their transportation on school buses and football fields. I pay for their free lunch, and breakfast and dinner in some places. Prior to that, I paid for their daycare center.

Half of the property tax money I pay goes to our schools. Haven't I done enough? People want even more from me for their kids?

Does having "common sense" mean they have to share your values and worldview? Or maybe it is you who have lost touch with reality?

Not all of them, but a large percentage of them. The WORLD has lost touch with reality in the last century and a half. That's obvious to anyone who opens their eyes.

Indians are eligible for an absolutely free college education and very few take advantage of it, I didn't.
Progressives will never understand, handouts like free college will never have the long term effect on society their delusional little ideology thinks it will...

News from The Associated Press
If everyone got a college diploma then we would have welders with masters degrees in philosophy or English Literature.

Not all of them, but a large percentage of them. The WORLD has lost touch with reality in the last century and a half. That's obvious to anyone who opens their eyes.
So most of the world has has lost touch with reality but not you? Interesting notion...

My kids tell me 75% of all statistics are made up. Does that cover your "large percentage" or do you have some other source?

There is no epidemic here. We have more people going to college than ever. In fact, we have more college graduates still living with their parents because they can't find jobs.

How many H1b visas are requested each year? Is the problem too many graduates or too many philosophy majors?

As for paying additional tax, you will never pay enough additional tax in a lifetime to repay what you got by having taxpayers fund your college.
I actually went to a public college and lived at home so the cost of my education was very reasonable. I covered that cost by my taxes many times over.

We need to draw the line somewhere. I'm sick of paying for everybody else's kids. I pay for them to go to elementary school, to middle-school, to high school. I even pay for their transportation on school buses and football fields. I pay for their free lunch, and breakfast and dinner in some places. Prior to that, I paid for their daycare center.

Half of the property tax money I pay goes to our schools. Haven't I done enough? People want even more from me for their kids?
Who paid for your education?

So most of the world has has lost touch with reality but not you? Interesting notion...

The world has lost touch with how it is supposed to operate. It has veen that way for generations now. Very few of us follow the old traditions and you can see the damage that's causing on the streets every day.

The world has lost touch with how it is supposed to operate.

You're right, at least in terms of the U.S. City and state universities used to be tuition-free. Prisons weren't being turned into privately-run for-profit entities.

Are you aware of any other countries that pay tens of thousands of dollars per inmate but begrudge a hard-working student an education? Well, probably North Korea...

The world has lost touch with how it is supposed to operate. It has veen that way for generations now. Very few of us follow the old traditions and you can see the damage that's causing on the streets every day.
In other words, you are one of the few people who know how the world is supposed to operate?

The world has lost touch with how it is supposed to operate.

You're right, at least in terms of the U.S. City and state universities used to be tuition-free. Prisons weren't being turned into privately-run for-profit entities.

Are you aware of any other countries that pay tens of thousands of dollars per inmate but begrudge a hard-working student an education? Well, probably North Korea...

I'm sure if you lived near one of those prisons you would be saying we aren't spending enough. In spite of what we're spending, they still break out from time to time.

As for North Korea, everybody depends on government more than themselves. Should be a liberal utopia.

How many H1b visas are requested each year? Is the problem too many graduates or too many philosophy majors?

As for paying additional tax, you will never pay enough additional tax in a lifetime to repay what you got by having taxpayers fund your college.
I actually went to a public college and lived at home so the cost of my education was very reasonable. I covered that cost by my taxes many times over.

Too many philosophy majors. I knew about five kids who went to college that wanted to be a pharmacist, but they gave up the notion after they learned how difficult it was, one of them was my nephew.

So how much is college today, at least 20K per year? So you go to school for four years. You're going to pay extra tax of 80K back to the government?

Church parishioners.

I'm sure if you lived near one of those prisons you would be saying we aren't spending enough. In spite of what we're spending, they still break out from time to time.

My objection is to their being privatized and, as such, they need to keep those cells filled. You can bet some of the strongest resistance to legalizing weed, for example, is coming from the corporations running those prisons.

My objection is to their being privatized and, as such, they need to keep those cells filled. You can bet some of the strongest resistance to legalizing weed, for example, is coming from the corporations running those prisons.
The majority of cops I know have stated they wouldn't mind seeing legal weed, so they could concentrate on bigger issues...Around here, all you get is a ticket and a fine...

Nobody goes to prison for smoking weed or selling small amounts of it. Most of the drug offenders in prison are there for selling the hard stuff.

So please explain the dynamics of how corporations get people to break laws so judges can put them in their prisons. If they have so much room for them, tell them to make a deal with our politicians here. Our judges send dangerous people home on house arrest because we don't have nearly enough prison space, and it's that way in most places.

In other words, you are one of the few people who know how the world is supposed to operate?

No. I believe most people innately know how the world is supposed to work, they just ignore it. The Millennial Generation may be an exception due to the modern education system.

NOTHING from the Government is Free. Never has been and never will be.

My fix for the prison issue is bullets. Immediate execution for all Felony convictions. Turn prison property into cemetaries instead.

No. I believe most people innately know how the world is supposed to work, they just ignore it. The Millennial Generation may be an exception due to the modern education system.
Right. Just look at the USMB for example, we all agree on how the world is supposed to work.

Forum List

Back