Why inflation may persist

Yet you do not seem to have any clue the causes.

Milton Friedman: It is always and everywhere, a monetary phenomenon. It's always and everywhere, a result of too much money, of a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than an output.

In the same post where I said tariffs cause income growth.

You think tariffs cause income growth? LOL!

You think I said tariffs have no impact? I didn't.
Tariffs impact prices. Tariffs don't cause inflation.
Does the prices of goods go up in price with tariffs? Yes!

Why is that not inflation?

giphy.gif

Their customers will have less money to spend on other things, right?

True, except they will also gain income.

Tariffs mean people will have less to spend on non-tariff goods.
How does that lead to a gain in income?

Prove your "point".

True, except they will also gain income.

Tariffs mean people will have less to spend on non-tariff goods.
How does that lead to a gain in income?

Prove your "point".

Income in general goes up each year, not because of inflation nor tariffs, but because of the nature of our system.

1718631100094.png

inflation: a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

You should know this.

yes, and if everything coming from China is more expensive, that will lead to a general increase in prices. While it is true people will turn to the less expensive non-Chinese products, that will cause a shortage of said non-Chinese products which will lead to price increases. Not to mention, many non-Chinese products are already more expensive than their China made counterparts so a switch to them is an automatic raise in what people are paying for a product.

True, except they will also gain income

And yet we have all witnessed the price of everything going up substantially over the last few years. And you seem to think a 100% tariff will have no impact. I am not sure why you think that
Oh? How do workers gain income?

yes, and if everything coming from China is more expensive, that will lead to a general increase in prices. While it is true people will turn to the less expensive non-Chinese products, that will cause a shortage of said non-Chinese products which will lead to price increases. Not to mention, many non-Chinese products are already more expensive than their China made counterparts so a switch to them is an automatic raise in what people are paying for a product.

yes, and if everything coming from China is more expensive, that will lead to a general increase in prices.

Why? If I spend more on Chinese goods, I have less to spend on American goods, not more.

If I spend $20 more on Product A, I have $20 less to spend on Product B. That's a wash.

The last two aren't inflationary.

However, one thing you didn't mention that is definitely inflationary is de-globalization. America is an expensive place to build things. If you want to build more in America, prices are going to rise.

Also, tariffs are highly inflationary. This should be obvious.
Also, removing 11 million workers from America would be inflationary.

Income in general goes up each year, not because of inflation nor tariffs

Thanks for admitting your error.

I made no error, you did by adding to my words what was not there.

But you are not the type to ever admit to such a thing, so congrats on your victory.

yes, and if everything coming from China is more expensive, that will lead to a general increase in prices.

Why? If I spend more on Chinese goods, I have less to spend on American goods, not more.

If I spend $20 more on Product A, I have $20 less to spend on Product B. That's a wash.

Product A will now be $30, as well product B, so you either spend more or you go without...just like what we have seen the last couple years....or have you not noticed?

I made no error, you did by adding to my words what was not there.

But you are not the type to ever admit to such a thing, so congrats on your victory.

Product A will now be $30, as well product B, so you either spend more or you go without...just like what we have seen the last couple years....or have you not noticed?

I made no error,

You admitted income does not increase because of tariffs.
After ......

1718639987781.png

Product A will now be $30, as well product B, so you either spend more or you go without

Exactly! It's not an increase in the general price level if you have no money and you go without.

Forum List

Back