Why I don't believe in God

I find discussing the history of religion and theories on how it came to be (other than the religious people's theories of course - lol) much more interesting than arguing about whether or not there is actually a God or gods. I don't believe in religions, but I find it to be a fascinating topic. I find the fact that so many people believe in it to be fascinating too. I think of it almost like a form of "mass hysteria." Not to mention, "beliefs" are pounded into your head from the time you are a baby in a lot of cases, and you are told if you don't believe, this or that will happen, so it's very scary for us "nonbelievers" or "doubters" to actually come forward and say we are different and we don't believe. We know there are going to be people who "hate us" for feeling that way. Call us "demons", etc. :)

I can agree with a lot of what you and others say about religions. They can be awful and cause all kinds of turmoil... but they can also do great things for humanity. It's a mixed bag. I don't belong to any organized religion or adhere to any religious dogma. I think anything man-made is inherently flawed. I've had religious people call me an Atheist because I rejected their incarnation of God. It doesn't bother me but I don't consider myself an Atheist. I'm also not Agnostic... those people are even dumber than Atheists. At least the Atheist knows what he believes.

In conversing with you, I see a person who is somewhat lost in terms of connection to her spirituality and that concerns me. You are too much of a sweetheart to ignore and deny your spirit. You don't have to be religious to be spiritual. Your fear is that embracing your spirituality will lead you to religious beliefs which you don't agree with. So you are sort of like a spiritual anorexic. I can tell you, as someone who is not religious or trying to 'convert' you, that your life is much better and well-rounded when you are in touch with your spiritual self.

I appreciate your concern. Thank you. :)

Maybe you're right. :dunno: I don't really feel that I need to have spirituality or anything like that in my life though. To be honest, I really don't even know what "spirituality" might be other than being related to feelings and emotions.

Well it's not feelings and emotions but feelings and emotions often are rooted in your inner spirit. There is a connection but it's sort of the other way around from your thinking. A healthy connection to your spiritual self helps to regulate and control your emotions. You find that things don't overwhelm you and you can better manage your feelings in a crisis. It gives you an inner strength you don't otherwise have... it's really a hard thing to explain to someone who is disconnected spiritually.

As far as feeling like you need it... Do you feel like you "need" the most exquisite slice of cheesecake you ever had in your life? I don't feel like I "need" my spiritual connection but I can't imagine not having it. So it's not something you'll ever really feel like you need but once you've experienced it you'll not be interested in neglecting it. A strong connection to your spiritual self makes you a more centered and well-rounded person as a whole. It enhances your life in ways you cannot understand until you've experienced it.

The main point I am making is, you don't have to be religious to be spiritual. I meet a lot of people who are disconnected spiritually because they have been scared away by religion. It's a shame because many times their lives are a hot mess and they don't understand why. Very often, they have this feeling inside that something is missing and they spend their lives searching in vain for it through drugs, alcohol, promiscuous sex, bad relationships, self-gratification or living in the moment. But the need is never met, the hole is never filled. They put on a happy face but they are miserable and dying inside and it's really sad to me.

I find discussing the history of religion and theories on how it came to be (other than the religious people's theories of course - lol) much more interesting than arguing about whether or not there is actually a God or gods. I don't believe in religions, but I find it to be a fascinating topic. I find the fact that so many people believe in it to be fascinating too. I think of it almost like a form of "mass hysteria." Not to mention, "beliefs" are pounded into your head from the time you are a baby in a lot of cases, and you are told if you don't believe, this or that will happen, so it's very scary for us "nonbelievers" or "doubters" to actually come forward and say we are different and we don't believe. We know there are going to be people who "hate us" for feeling that way. Call us "demons", etc. :)

I can agree with a lot of what you and others say about religions. They can be awful and cause all kinds of turmoil... but they can also do great things for humanity. It's a mixed bag. I don't belong to any organized religion or adhere to any religious dogma. I think anything man-made is inherently flawed. I've had religious people call me an Atheist because I rejected their incarnation of God. It doesn't bother me but I don't consider myself an Atheist. I'm also not Agnostic... those people are even dumber than Atheists. At least the Atheist knows what he believes.

In conversing with you, I see a person who is somewhat lost in terms of connection to her spirituality and that concerns me. You are too much of a sweetheart to ignore and deny your spirit. You don't have to be religious to be spiritual. Your fear is that embracing your spirituality will lead you to religious beliefs which you don't agree with. So you are sort of like a spiritual anorexic. I can tell you, as someone who is not religious or trying to 'convert' you, that your life is much better and well-rounded when you are in touch with your spiritual self.

Maybe you're right. :dunno: I don't really feel that I need to have spirituality or anything like that in my life though. To be honest, I really don't even know what "spirituality" might be other than being related to feelings and emotions.

Well it's not feelings and emotions but feelings and emotions often are rooted in your inner spirit. There is a connection but it's sort of the other way around from your thinking. A healthy connection to your spiritual self helps to regulate and control your emotions. You find that things don't overwhelm you and you can better manage your feelings in a crisis. It gives you an inner strength you don't otherwise have... it's really a hard thing to explain to someone who is disconnected spiritually.

As far as feeling like you need it... Do you feel like you "need" the most exquisite slice of cheesecake you ever had in your life? I don't feel like I "need" my spiritual connection but I can't imagine not having it. So it's not something you'll ever really feel like you need but once you've experienced it you'll not be interested in neglecting it. A strong connection to your spiritual self makes you a more centered and well-rounded person as a whole. It enhances your life in ways you cannot understand until you've experienced it.

The main point I am making is, you don't have to be religious to be spiritual. I meet a lot of people who are disconnected spiritually because they have been scared away by religion. It's a shame because many times their lives are a hot mess and they don't understand why. Very often, they have this feeling inside that something is missing and they spend their lives searching in vain for it through drugs, alcohol, promiscuous sex, bad relationships, self-gratification or living in the moment. But the need is never met, the hole is never filled. They put on a happy face but they are miserable and dying inside and it's really sad to me.

Well, that doesn't describe me at all. Lol. :D If I want something like a piece of cheesecake, I will have it. I guess I'm just different than you, huh? :)

LMAO... you don't really understand physics, do you?
OH NO!!! RUN!!! Bossy is about to explain physics!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! :D

How can you build a detector to detect something that just goes through the equipment?
:dunno:
That's up to scientists to figure out. In time, they will.
...said the man full of faith......
Faith is the belief in something unprovable. The total opposite of science.

You just expressed your faith that scientists will someday discover how to defy physics. Dark Matter and Dark Energy exists and we know it exists because math says it has to exist and math is not a theory. However, aside from math, we cannot prove it exists. Physicists will sheepishly admit that DM and DE are pretty much "metaphysical" in nature. We can't interact with it, we don't have any physical way to do so, nor will we ever create one.

Well, that doesn't describe me at all. Lol. :D If I want something like a piece of cheesecake, I will have it. I guess I'm just different than you, huh? :)

Oh, I know it doesn't seem to describe you at all... just going by the little I know of you from your posting here. But that's why I find it hard to believe you're devoid of spirit as a person. That said, I think you are totally ignoring your inner spirit in defiance of religious beliefs which you have associated with spirituality. In the long term, this is not healthy and actually cheats you out of your true potential as a human being.

I don't think you are much different from me at all. I think you and I are very much alike but you are just not connecting to your own spirituality. I can't force you to do that, it's something you have to do on your own. I think the fact that you are curious enough to engage in these threads speaks volumes.

LMAO... you don't really understand physics, do you?

How can you build a detector to detect something that just goes through the equipment?
really?.....if scientists have not yet figured something out, how do you prove that in time they will?......is that not something unprovable.....that is, faith?.....

You just expressed your faith that scientists will someday discover how to defy physics. Dark Matter and Dark Energy exists and we know it exists because math says it has to exist and math is not a theory. However, aside from math, we cannot prove it exists. Physicists will sheepishly admit that DM and DE are pretty much "metaphysical" in nature. We can't interact with it, we don't have any physical way to do so, nor will we ever create one.
You just made something else up. I think that scientist will probably figure it out, that's not faith that's reality. If they never figure it out, I don't really care, I'm just thinking that they probably will. Not faith that they will, but that they might and likely will. No faith required. Unlike you, who has faith that "nor will we ever create one", which is unprovable/just plain wrong because you have no clue what humans might do a million years from now...

really?.....if scientists have not yet figured something out, how do you prove that in time they will?......is that not something unprovable.....that is, faith?.....
They MIGHT and LIKELY WILL figure it out. No faith required. Feel better now? :D

You have yet to demonstrate that your spirituality is real or affects anyone in any way. What you have is a theory, and a pretty lame one at that.

You just made something else up. I think that scientist will probably figure it out, that's not faith that's reality. If they never figure it out, I don't really care, I'm just thinking that they probably will. Not faith that they will, but that they might and likely will. No faith required. Unlike you, who has faith that "nor will we ever create one", which is unprovable/just plain wrong because you have no clue what humans might do a million years from now...

I think that scientist will probably figure it out, that's not faith that's reality.

Uhm... bro... that IS faith! It's reality of your faith!

I worship positive spiritual energy.
Making you religious. Now you know.

You worship self... you are religious too.

Why do you think everyone has to worship something? I don't really think I "worship" anything.
If you believe in the god of the bible, then you "worship" him. Worship is basically "honour shown to an object", the object in this case being your invisible Big Guy.

I think that scientist will probably figure it out, that's not faith that's reality.

If i say that I have faith that god exists, it's not "probably" or "might", it's for sure.
And I'm going on past scientific discoveries, where scientists just keep looking until they find the correct solution, so my expectations are based on something real, not on some made-up nonsense.
Sorry, you lose.

If i say that I have faith that god exists, it's not "probably" or "might", it's for sure.
And I'm going on past scientific discoveries, where scientists just keep looking until they find the correct solution, so my expectations are based on something real, not on some made-up nonsense.
Sorry, you lose.

No... Your FAITH is still based on FAITH. That never changes. The fact is, you have FAITH in Science just the same as someone else may have FAITH in God.

They MIGHT and LIKELY WILL

FAAAAITH!!

faith

1. The reasoning of beliefs hoped true by the proof of things, such as philosophy, that are without the real evidence of sight, sound, and touch.
Your phrase is an oxymoron: you can't have proof of something that has no real evidence.
Sorry, you fail again.

You have yet to demonstrate that your spirituality is real or affects anyone in any way. What you have is a theory, and a pretty lame one at that.

~100k years of human history. Case closed.
So if we believe in Santa Claus for at least 100k years, he's then declared real? Ummm... no.
Sorry, you fail miserably again. Case closed.

If you believe in the god of the bible, then you "worship" him. Worship is basically "honour shown to an object", the object in this case being your invisible Big Guy.

I don't believe in the God of the Bible. I have respect for people who do believe in that God, as long as they are promoting and advocating positive spiritual energy through it. If they are killing people and promoting hatred and intolerance, I have no respect for them.

The God that I worship is Spiritual Nature.

Forum List

Back